ProSilver or SubSilver2 (the future?)

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Anti-Spam Guide
az2000

ProSilver or SubSilver2 (the future?)

Post by az2000 »

Does ProSilver deprecate SubSilver2? Or, is it expected to?

The reason I ask: I want to make a lot of modifications. I find ProSilver's style-driven layout to be a bit delicate and too time-consuming. (ProSilver is beautiful. But, for my requirements, imperfect browser support for CSS makes it a challenge.).

OTOH, I don't want to invest a lot of time in SubSilver2 if it is expected to fall into disuse.

I know I'm going to be on my own anyway (if I heavily modify a style). But, I think it would be easier to identify and merge changes from the same style than a different one.

Thanks.
Greenweaver
Former Team Member

Re: ProSilver or SubSilver2 (the future?)

Post by Greenweaver »

The "proSilver" style is the more modernly implemented of the two and is the leading style for "phpBB3". The original "subSilver" style designed for "phpBB2" was ported for the release of "phpBB3" hence it's name "subSilver2".

This was done to make the dramatic visual change between "phpBB2" and "phpBB3" more easy to deal with for our users - thus giving them a choice of adopting the new "proSilver" style or keeping with the already familiar "subSilver" style.

The "subSilver2" style is likely to be dropped at some point in the future, though we are still in discussion as to what to do with it. ;)
Modage: Page Title Number MOD
Linkage: Find me at Styles Support & Discussion | Get a new style | Customise your style | phpBB userguide
Noteage:
Graphics requests to members over 20 posts and genuine phpbb requirements | I do not provide custom psd files
az2000

Post by az2000 »

Greenweaver wrote:The "subSilver2" style is likely to be dropped at some point in the future, though we are still in discussion as to what to do with it. ;)
Thanks. That makes me nervous because browser support for CSS still seems touchy. I've tried to change a few things in prosilver. It looks good in FF, but destroyed IE 7. It's too tedious fiddling with the nuances of styles and how all the browsers handle it.

Maybe a better alternative than reverting to subsilver2 would be for me to replace more sensitive (complex) areas of prosilver with table layout (more predictable control). Like the forum and topic list. Apply Prosilver's style to that.

I know prosilver's markup and style is preferable to using tables for layout. But, it's really treacherous to change some of the more complicated parts.
Greenweaver
Former Team Member

Post by Greenweaver »

I would encourage you to go with the proSilver style, once you grasp some fundamentals of how css works you will begin to understand the benefits to using it. As challenging as it may seem for you just now it will definitely help you long term.

Tables still have a purpose of course, but I would try and avoid using them if you are using them to aid style design or general layout features.

I think it's fair to say that everyone has encountered issues with Internet Explorer as they are notorious for trying to be different to everyone else. Though to be fair Internet Explorer 8 has made reasonable progress and is a step in the right direction. Perhaps they are finally understanding that the reduction to their browser market share is down to their own stubbornness more than anything else.

Give it a go and if you are having issues trying to style using css then post your problems in here.
Modage: Page Title Number MOD
Linkage: Find me at Styles Support & Discussion | Get a new style | Customise your style | phpBB userguide
Noteage:
Graphics requests to members over 20 posts and genuine phpbb requirements | I do not provide custom psd files

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”