Fluid Width

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Anti-Spam Guide
MsIrey

Fluid Width

Post by MsIrey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:34 pm

While searching the styles database, one cannot help but notice the preponderance of fixed-width styles. Is fluid-width being discontinued in the foreseeable future? I hope the answer is no as we prefer the fluid width format. Any info on this?

Is there any tutorial around that steps you through changing a fixed width style to a fluid width style?

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Re: Fluid Width

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:39 pm

MsIrey wrote:Is fluid-width being discontinued in the foreseeable future? I hope the answer is no as we prefer the fluid width format. Any info on this?
I cannot see why it would ever be discontinued. The code for every style is available for you to modify for your forum. Therefore, even if all the styles in the future were to be fixed-width, if you wanted to make a style fluid width, then you could just modify the CSS and achieve the desired result with ease. It's impossible to "discontinue" the ability to make a webpage fluid width, unless all web browsers decide to discontinue the usage of percentages for the width attribute in CSS (which I doubt would ever happen).
MsIrey wrote:Is there any tutorial around that steps you through changing a fixed width style to a fluid width style?
It's quite simple. What style are you using?
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

MsIrey

Post by MsIrey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:45 pm

We have a subsilver2 based style as our default (Blue Moon). We offer Prosilver and Subsilver2 as options for the users.

Fluid is important as we have some little netbook users and having to scroll from side to side puts a real damper on their enjoyment of the forum.

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:52 pm

As far as I can tell, Blue Moon is a fluid-width style. Is that particular style the one you are using?

Also, I edited my previous post in this topic with more information considering the future of fluid-width styles, if you are interested in reading it.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

MsIrey

Post by MsIrey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Yes, that is the default and the one most of our members use. I tend to use prosilver along with a few other members. We may have a couple/few who use subsilver2.

I realize these are fluid. The reason I was asking was in case we have a need for one reason or another to change styles, if a style we like isn't fluid, is there a tutorial for prosilver based & subsilver based styles to make them fluid rather than fixed.

Glad to learn that fluid is a feature that the cyber world continues to be happy with! :D

sunsop

Post by sunsop » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:57 am

Changing a style from fixed to fluid basically requires changing the selector controlling forum width from a set pixel width to percentages, such as 100%. Additional width selectors may also need to be changed to percentages, but that is fairly easy to work out.

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”