Pending Removal of subsilver2

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Ideas Centre
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Re: Pending Removal of subsilver2

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Sajaki wrote:
Sally Brown wrote:Keep it, it's the standard for forum styles.
Subsilver2 is so yesteryear. This is what a forward looking forum style should aim for : http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/11818/
Default system styles (not only forums, but blogs, content management systems etc...) need to be generic so as to appeal to all audiences. By creating the default style which is heavily influenced by gaming (such as the one one you linked to), would send out the wrong message to potential users who are looking to use phpBB as a bulletin board solution for their: Business Board, scrapbooking forum, coding forum etc etc...

Point is not everyone will like dark and grungy in the same way you might not like pink and flowery ;).
🚀 Premium phpBB StylesPremium phpBB 3.3 StylesphpBB sidebar Extension
Previously known as Christian 2.0
Saldash
Name: Stuart Jackson

Post by Saldash »

Unfortunately, there does come a time when moving on and upgrading is a must.

Be it for support, compatibility or even security issues, newer and better models that no longer support old out dated features will always take lead..

I have never, will never use the subsilver theme.. like most free open source packages, phpBB should come with a few presets, and a library of supporting add-ons. There are enough extremely good stylists out there that release free styles, or will happily make you a custom style for a small fee.

I say dump the extra baggage, lets streamline development and get moving on the next phpBB release(s).
World Recoded UK - DreamHost Site of the Month winner February 2011!
Sally Brown

Post by Sally Brown »

Sajaki wrote:
Sally Brown wrote:Keep it, it's the standard for forum styles.
Subsilver2 is so yesteryear. This is what a forward looking forum style should aim for : [removed]
Yesteryear is good. It's got tradition, it's ground, and very brand savvy. At least have the option to keep subsilver :)
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Sally Brown wrote:At least have the option to keep subsilver :)
That would not only make this topic, but the whole decision to drop Subsilver2 redundant. As mentioned earlier in this topic I have plans to create a Subsilver equivalent when 3.1 is released, so as an end user you'll have the choice to use the new "Subsilver3" or whatever it ends up being called. This will be a personal project for the benefit of the community and Subsilver lovers, which will be in no way related with the official development of 3.1 . ;)
🚀 Premium phpBB StylesPremium phpBB 3.3 StylesphpBB sidebar Extension
Previously known as Christian 2.0
noth

Post by noth »

nice one Christian and congratulations on your appointment to the Support Team, fantastic :D
A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:Hi everyone,

If you read the blog earlier this week, you saw that we (the development team) are planning to remove subsilver2 from phpBB 3.1.0.

There's been some talk that the development team was not open enough in making this decision. So if you have an opinion on the subject, please note it at our Area51 development forum (where all future features are discussed).

Blog about it, tweet about it, whatever ... the goal is that enough data be collected to make a proper decision.
I am saddened that Josh has been criticised for stating that subsilver2 would not ship with 3.1

I feel he was in a no-win situation

plus, this whole subject is truly massive and for the proof of that just click on Josh's "note" above

now it seems that the discussion on this key issue is just infinite

personally I think a deadline or a date should be set at which the decision must be made

senior members like Marshalrusty have made their opinions known that the removal of subsilver2 IS a substantial matter and not to be taken lightly, ok, so when will it be decided? ;)
Dezza

Post by Dezza »

So what happens to the people who have subsilver2 3.1 and they dont change there style
Saldash
Name: Stuart Jackson

Post by Saldash »

Development will cease and the style will stagnate.
World Recoded UK - DreamHost Site of the Month winner February 2011!
Dezza

Post by Dezza »

Do you have a link for the styles please
image45
Name: Robert

Post by image45 »

therat wrote:Also agree with removing subsilver, personally think prosilver is much easier to customise.
Yes its the style I found best and the more easier to work with and customise when needed!
Praetorian Guard

Post by Praetorian Guard »

Well thats crappy! What about the people with custom templates based on subsilver? Will they at least be provided updates when phpbb 3.09, etc roll around?
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

You should probably read this.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”