Use custom template with phpbb

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Scam Warning
chibibel

Use custom template with phpbb

Post by chibibel »

I just now downloaded phpbb and installed it on a new website I had built which is meant to be a forum for a hobby. I already had a template made for the website, and I would like to continue using it but is there anyway I can integrate phpbb with it?

This is the test page, which is the only page I have with the template set up on. http://cosplaymania.co.cc/temptest.php

I set the headers as the section I would like to have in the area, can anyone please tell me how I can integrate it the way I would like to?
Sorry if this is a noob question, I am new to phpbb and have never used it befre, but I have researched and read all the FAQ's and tutorials and I still can't figure it out.
Drummer

Re: Use custom template with phpbb

Post by Drummer »

You would have to either write a new style or change the way phpbb treats templates entirely. I think there already is a MOD that allows the use of smarty, you can get some ideas from its code.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Drummer wrote:You would have to either write a new style or change the way phpbb treats templates entirely. I think there already is a MOD that allows the use of smarty, you can get some ideas from its code.
Changing phpBB3's template system or using smarty are two pretty excessive solutions to what is actually a pretty simple task. ;)

chibibel, have a gander at the following Knowledge Base article: How to create a new phpBB3 style. From that make your own new style base. Then it's just a case of adding your site code to phpBB's template files.

For CSS, most of the classes you'd need to edit are in colours.css and common.css (that's if you're making a prosilver based style. If your style is subsilver2 then stylesheet.css). The prosilver stylesheets are a gargantuan mess anyway, so what I tend to do is basically shove any custom CSS at the bottom of colours.css .

As for your HTML, edit overall_header.html and overall_footer.html to wrap your site design around the forum that's already there. Anything on overall_*.html will display on every page of your forum. The forums / category template is in forumlist_body.html and the stats at the bottom of the index page are index_body.html should you want to add those.

As for the sidebar, there are a few tutorials kicking around. This one is the most recent, otherwise whack out a search for "sidebar" and you should yield some other results.

If you need help re-styling a particular part feel free to post a screenshot and we'll see what we can do to help you out :).
chibibel

Post by chibibel »

Thanks guys, I'll start working with it later on this afternoon, and I'll have a look at those links :)

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”