Licensing Guidelines?

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Suggested Hosts
Daniel Exe

Licensing Guidelines?

Post by Daniel Exe » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:30 am

Did a search http://www.phpbb.com/search/?q=licensing+guidelines as well as on the forum, but not a whole lot came up. What's with it? And why does every style "not meet with licensing guidelines"? For example, how could I address this with the styles I've released?
My phpBB3 styles: 610nm, Cerulean, CoDFaction, DarkFantasy, GuildWarsAlliance, twilightBB
http://www.gamexe.net

Rahber
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Rahber

Re: Licensing Guidelines?

Post by Rahber » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:38 am

phpBB uses customization database "Titania".
Titania requires you to put a lisence.txt file in the folder along with other content and you will need to mention the license when you are submitting it.
In Titania styles that are having red text "WARNING: This style currently does not meet our licensing guidelines." are having the any of the above thing missing i.e license.txt file or forget to fill in license while submitting.

Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:34 am

What is the basic expected license.txt format? Or does it matter? I downloaded 3.0.8 but neither subSilver2 nor proSilver have it in their directories.

And anyhow, I thought to comply with submission guidelines we have to use the GPL anyway? So won't every license.txt be identical in that respect? Not that I want to release it under any other terms, but I'm just not sure of the reasoning behind having a license.txt file.
My phpBB3 styles: 610nm, Cerulean, CoDFaction, DarkFantasy, GuildWarsAlliance, twilightBB
http://www.gamexe.net

Rahber
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Rahber

Post by Rahber » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:17 am

prosilver and subsilver2 come with package and as they are created by phpBB every one knows about its license.
You Will notice that prosilver_se also have license.txt file .
There is no such basic format for the license file the only thing is it should be complete and not self modified.
For example you select GPL V2 as you licese so you will be adding GPL v2.0.txt with your styles.
Yes if you use GPL 2.0 for your all styles then license.txt file for each style will be identical.
License.txt file is added to the package so that the user who is using gets aware of the license of the style.

Style Team will be soon making some announcement about that but i am not sure when.

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”