Need a lot of help with my forum.

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Anti-Spam Guide
yolshy

Need a lot of help with my forum.

Post by yolshy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:58 pm

Hello.
I am trying to make a forum and I hopefully could get some help here. :]
I need to remove a lot of features and make it as simple as possible.
So this is what I want...

The red lines represent what I want to get rid.
I also want to change "board index" to Home and "User Control Panel" to Settings.

This next pic is the next page where you would post topics.

I also need a way of editing the whole look of the forum... For example chage the border around the forum. Also the colors and font ect.
How do I get started to do something like that?

If you guys cant help me with all of that, then I would appreciate help with any particular thing you can help me with. I am going to have to do all of that sooner or later. I will be patient.

If its way too much work then I might even consider paying someone to make me a whole style....

Thanks.

Daz

Re: Need a lot of help with my forum.

Post by Daz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:04 am

Hi and welcome,

Removing those involves fairly straightforward edits to the templates, but the apparent complexity of the templates can be a little daunting. However, many users would expect them to be there, so some consultation might be advisable first.

For help in changing the colours see this thread. If you haven't done so already, take a look at the Styles Demo for something that reduces the amount of work you need to do.

Daz
Please and Thank You works wonders...
I reserve the right to post illogical (and totally wrong) replies.
...It's the subtle perfection in attention to detail that makes your work rock the way it does - cdkrg
Think simple - it's not necessarily what you draw that matters, it's what you perceive - Daz

Note: ForumImages<dot>com is no longer anything to do with me.

yolshy

Post by yolshy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:54 pm

I would like to change not only the colors but the whole design of the forum(everything).
I also am not interested in a premade style because I have a certain way which my forum needs to look.
So where do I get started to learn how to create my own style?
Or how do I go about editing the current one to my liking?

LadyAnna
Name: Anna Broman

Post by LadyAnna » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:17 pm

Best way to learn would, in my opinion, dig right into the templates. To my knowledge there's no real tutorials on how to make a theme, or even make major modifications to one, some tutorials exist on changing various parts though that are often changed by users, such as the header.

Though you'll not wanna do that on a live board, I'd recommend installing a web server with php/mysql locally on your computer, lot easier then uploading the files every time you make a small change and want to see how the result is. There's a number of options to do that, depending on your operating system. WAMP / LAMP for instance, where wamp is windows, and lamp is linux.

You will need to know your way around html/css, as that is what makes up how the board looks.

Basic understanding of what IF statements do help, as they are part of the template system, for displaying different based on various criteria, such as if the user is logged in.

To make it as easy as possible for you, I'd go about to look if there's a theme that is near what you want, as that will require you to change less things in order to make it perfect.

It is gonna take time if you want to do a complete rewrite of a theme.

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”