Junior Style Validators

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Scam Warning
Raimon
Former Team Member
Name: Raimon Meuldijk

Junior Style Validators

Post by Raimon »

Hello Everyone,

You may have seen our previous topic announcing the Junior Style Validators program. We are happy to report that two community members recently graduated from the program (congratulations TheIlluminative and rahber) to become full team members! We are now looking for several new JSVs and would like to tell you more about the program.

What is a Junior Style Validator?
A Junior Style Validator assists the Styles Team in validating user submitted styles in the Styles section of the Customisation Database.

What are the duties of a Junior Style Validator?
Junior Style Validators download and install newly submitted Style from the Styles section of the Customisation Database. They check for any visible errors with the styles and together create a report with comments and suggestions. The style then receives a status ('Validating', 'deny', 'repack', etc.) and continues through the validation process. If any issues are found, the styles author receives a helpful report from the Styles Team.

Why should I become a Junior Style Validator?
  • Directly contribute to one of the greatest OSS communities on the internet.
  • Work your way toward full team membership and the awesome pink rank.
  • Collaborate with other individuals from around the world while improving your existing skills.
As a Junior Validator you will also gain access to our private forums and IRC Channel on Freenode.

What are the requirements?
  • Must have comprehensive knowledge of xHTML, CSS, phpBB's default styles, and the templating system.
  • Must be able to communicate effectively in English (perfect English is not required).
  • Must understand the Styles Submission Policy.
Where can I apply?
You can apply to be a Junior Style Validator via the form that is available on the Junior Style Validator page. Successful applicants will receive a private message with additional information.
Need phpBB installation, extenstions, Styles or integrate phpBB with you website?
Contact me @ www.raimon.nl for fair prices and good service!
_Vinny_
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Marcus Vinicius

Re: Junior Style Validators

Post by _Vinny_ »

I have three questions:
1) In addition to helping the Styles Team, the JSV learn something with the team?
2) Is there a certain time to approve a member to the group JSV?
3) How long is the journey of a JSV?
Raimon
Former Team Member

Post by Raimon »

Hi _Vinny_,
_Vinny_ wrote:1) In addition to helping the Styles Team, the JSV learn something with the team?
Yes, the JSV will learn how to test Styles, how to find any errors on Styles, we also bring our knowledge about phpBB Styles in general to our JSV Members that includes from HTML to CSS and many other things.
_Vinny_ wrote:2) Is there a certain time to approve a member to the group JSV?
We trying to add any Member as fast as possible when we (The Styles Team) think that that member got the knowledge to be a JSV.
_Vinny_ wrote:3) How long is the journey of a JSV?
That depends how quick a JSV is learning and if he got the require knowledge, since this is diffrent from people to people i can not give you a answer how long it can be.
Need phpBB installation, extenstions, Styles or integrate phpBB with you website?
Qiaeru
Former Team Member

Post by Qiaeru »

The JSVs are not just there to help the team members, but to work with them. There has always been a good relation between us and the JSVs. Concerning the journey of a JSV, as Raimon said, there is no obligation. Some JSVs were more active than others in the past, and it does not impact our vision. We are an open source project and we are volunteers, we take this into account of course :) .
nextgen
Name: Melvin García

Post by nextgen »

I have 2 questions.

1: The activity of a user has to do when you choose someone to be JSV?, as there are multiple users with advanced knowledge in html and css but because they do not know English almost never involved.

2: If the request was rejected is to send a private message saying why the decision?
メルビン・ガルシア • nextgen Solutions

Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Qiaeru
Former Team Member

Post by Qiaeru »

Yeah, the activity is important for us. The JSVs are potential candidates to become team members, and you have to write in English. We are not asking you to be bilingual, but if post in English is difficult for you, it will be problematic. You'll have to help users and discuss with other team members in English.

Regarding the second question, yes we will try to reply to applicants not selected to tell them the reasons of our denial :) .
Ziddia
Name: Josh Smith

Post by Ziddia »

Well, I applied. Good luck to all applicants.

Now a couple questions:

1. Will we be contacted via PM, and will we be contacted no matter whether or not we get in? Will we get contacted if we get denied?

2. Will we have a chance to rectify any mistakes we may have made, and apply again?

3. Do you have a better chance of getting in if you have submitted a style? (I think I should better finish my style quickly if this is the case!)

Anyway, thanks for giving us all the oppurtunity to help out, and good luck to all applicants.
I'm the owner of my Minecraft Modding website http://zidmc.x10.bz

Oh yeah, and I am making a new portal mod. Development and team apps at http://newportal.zidmc.x10.bz It's not fully functional yet so it's not displayed yet. Oh well. And I've applied for JR Styles Validator. I'm a busy guy.
Rotten Apple
Name: Vicky

Post by Rotten Apple »

I might be interested in this. 8D I’m just curious on something though.

If your knowledge on styles is mostly directly towards one of the style bases (for example, I know a majority of Subsilver like the back of my hand, but Prosilver I’m still learning and I’m willing to learn more.) would it also be part of the verdict in being accepted? Do you absolutely have to know both bases well to be considered?

Is it absolutely mandatory to have styles submitted and accepted (that are the applicants for JSV) in order to be considered? I’ve created private styles in the past and I have them still, but I’m just not looking to ‘submit’ them into the Styles Database as they’re for my personal use. Would we be able to show this in the application instead?
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

Go to this: Get Involved and search for "Styles Team".
Rotten Apple wrote:I might be interested in this. 8D I’m just curious on something though.

If your knowledge on styles is mostly directly towards one of the style bases (for example, I know a majority of Subsilver like the back of my hand, but Prosilver I’m still learning and I’m willing to learn more.) would it also be part of the verdict in being accepted? Do you absolutely have to know both bases well to be considered?

Is it absolutely mandatory to have styles submitted and accepted (that are the applicants for JSV) in order to be considered? I’ve created private styles in the past and I have them still, but I’m just not looking to ‘submit’ them into the Styles Database as they’re for my personal use. Would we be able to show this in the application instead?
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
Ziddia
Name: Josh Smith

Post by Ziddia »

How many people are applying? I would just like to know. Also, my questions were not answered really.
I'm the owner of my Minecraft Modding website http://zidmc.x10.bz

Oh yeah, and I am making a new portal mod. Development and team apps at http://newportal.zidmc.x10.bz It's not fully functional yet so it's not displayed yet. Oh well. And I've applied for JR Styles Validator. I'm a busy guy.
Raimon
Former Team Member

Post by Raimon »

Ziddia wrote:How many people are applying? I would just like to know. Also, my questions were not answered really.
Several people are applying.
Rotten Apple wrote:I might be interested in this. 8D I’m just curious on something though.

If you got the right motivation , and you can show is what your knowledge is, we can always consider to accept you, we do this with all the applicants, so don't be afraid to submit a application.
Rotten Apple wrote:Is it absolutely mandatory to have styles submitted and accepted (that are the applicants for JSV) in order to be considered? I’ve created private styles in the past and I have them still, but I’m just not looking to ‘submit’ them into the Styles Database as they’re for my personal use. Would we be able to show this in the application instead?
Like i replied below to a similar question, it can help, since then you understand the Style Submission Policy at some point, and you know a bit how our Database works, but if not, it always help if you can show us some work what you have recently done :)
Ziddia wrote:1. Will we be contacted via PM, and will we be contacted no matter whether or not we get in? Will we get contacted if we get denied?
Only successful applicants will receive a private message.
Ziddia wrote:2. Will we have a chance to rectify any mistakes we may have made, and apply again?
You are always free to resubmit a new application at any time.
Ziddia wrote:3. Do you have a better chance of getting in if you have submitted a style? (I think I should better finish my style quickly if this is the case!)
Yes and no, if we see that the user that have applied is very involved in the Styles Community, you must think about giving a lot of Styles support to the users for example.
And if you submit a Style we know that you understand our Style Submission Policy for example.
Raimon
Former Team Member

Post by Raimon »

We are still looking for new Junior Style Validators, so don't hesitate to apply for this position :)

Thanks!
nextgen
Name: Melvin García

Post by nextgen »

many want to participate but for reasons already known can not be one hundred percent. :roll:
although I have not lost hope of being a team member :)
メルビン・ガルシア • nextgen Solutions

Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

I would like to join, but I don't know if I got what it take. Also I'm too sure if it will work out for me (Yes I am shy at times)
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
~TylerW~

Post by ~TylerW~ »

Hello,
How do we know if we are accepted or not?
~TylerW~

Come and join my fish forum!
Tropical Aquaria

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”