Moving the Search Bar Up

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Ideas Centre
Technologist

Moving the Search Bar Up

Post by Technologist »

So I've moved my search bar down to take the place of the text resize button, but now I'm trying to figure out how to move it up just a little bit so it's closer to the top of the area it's in. I think it would look more consistent, considering all of the other buttons in that area are higher.

Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/5SrUs.png

Could someone help?

_Vinny_
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Marcus Vinicius

Re: Moving the Search Bar Up

Post by _Vinny_ »

What is the link of your board?

TheSnake

Post by TheSnake »

I did something similar to what you are after, it involves adjusting the CSS values.

Open: styles/"your style name"/theme/common.css

Find:

Code: Select all

/* Search box
--------------------------------------------- */
#search-box {
	color: #FFFFFF;
	position: relative;
	margin-top: 30px;
	margin-right: 5px;
	display: block;
	float: right;
	text-align: right;
	white-space: nowrap; /* For Opera */
}
try adjusting the margin-top: 30px;, or margin-right: 5px; or maybe creating & adding a value for margin-bottom: ?px;.

Note: it also depends on the style you are using if these values are held in this file, or another.

Technologist

Post by Technologist »

Strangely, changing the margins for the search box in the common.css file didn't do anything. I think I implemented the code correctly, so I'm not sure if it's that I'm using the Lucid Lime theme, or if it just takes a little time for my site to reflect changes in its code. I think the latter is a possibility because when I was trying to add a favicon, I entered all of the code correctly, but it didn't show up. But when I came back later, I saw that the favicon was there, even though I had purged my board's cache after changing the code. I always do.

So, I don't know. Could that even be the case? I'm very new at all this, and I'm still learning how things work.
Last edited by Technologist on Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

changes should be instant, however, your browser cache can hold the old copy for a while so that is probably what is happening when it takes time for the change to show.
whenever you make edits be sure to also refresh your browser ( shift+reload or shift+refresh or just f5 )

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Technologist

Post by Technologist »

Well, I figured out how to change some other things, and now I don't have to worry about this anymore. I rearranged a few things, and now I just have a search icon instead of a bar. Thanks for the help, though.

I think the delay was caused by my FTP, though... Either way, I fixed it.

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”