Existing PHPBB into Wordpress Header Only

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Scam Warning
bmouthboyo

Existing PHPBB into Wordpress Header Only

Postby bmouthboyo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:34 am

Hi Guys,

I have tried to do some research into this and I understand most previous questions relate to be able to have a global log in for PHPBB and Wordpress integration. My query is a lot more simple (i hope).

I have an existing site with a link that takes you to my forum. This works great but the PHPBB forum looks very different to my site and the header is not visable. I ended up prety much leaving the site untouched as the forum is what is mainly used at my work.

I recently dabbled in wordpress and have been impressed with its simplicity. I would like to intigrate my existing PHPBB with a wordpress site. I just basically want the forum to be under the header on a static page called "Forum". No global log in etc. Just general info on the wordpress pages and my forum with the same header section as resot of site. Is this easy to do?

Thanks

Oyabun1
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Existing PHPBB into Wordpress Header Only

Postby Oyabun1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:27 am

bmouthboyo wrote:Is this easy to do?
That would largely depend on your knowledge of HTML, CSS, and the Wordpress and phpBB code structure.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

bmouthboyo

Postby bmouthboyo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:59 pm

I know a little HTML, but only basic. I can find the header section etc. Would it be as simple as viewing the HTML source for my wordpress page, then copying the header bit and replacing that on the PHPBB header part? I am fine loosing the search, title area etc and start from the "Board Index" section.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Postby Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:18 pm

that is basically what you need to do.

wordpress is not coded the same way as phpbb is. in wordpress all the html and php are in the same files.
that makes it harder to work with . in phpbb the html, css, and php are all in separate files.

anyway, view the source of your main wp page. get only the header part of the code.

copy that and paste it into a text file.
by the way, only use a text editor for working with phpbb, any other type of editor will corrupt your files.

now, download your style's overall_header.html file found here:
yourphpbb/styles/yourstyle/template/overall_header.html

open that file in your text editor.
'
now paste the header code right after the opening <body> tag of your overall_header.html file.

you will have to tweak the image paths, css and other things to make it all work properly but that is the basics of how you do it.

I would suggest that you install a webserver on your computer:
Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server

then, install wordpress and phpbb on your new webserver.
install the same themes/styles that you are currently using.
then, you can edit and tweak to your heart's content with no effect on your live board.

once you have the style working as you wanted. you simply upload the style files to your live server to replace the ones there and you are done.

robert

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”