Some questions about the template files...

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Scam Warning
energyuser

Some questions about the template files...

Post by energyuser »

So the phpBB 3.0.12 template uses the xHTML 1.0 Strict DOCTYPE. I'd like to either modify the DOCTYPE declaration to HTML5 or to change the file extension form *.html to *.xhtml (Content-Type: application/xhtml+xml rather than text/css). But both won't be easy, because:
  • If I change the DOCTYPE, I'll have to change the obsolete/deprecated tags/attributes/attribute values too. I want all my content to be valid.
  • If I change the file extension, I'll have to rename it from the inclusions form all *.php files!
Since my server runs older verion of PHP, I can't install phpBB 3.1 beta 3, which already uses <!DOCTYPE html> so this is not a solution for me. My questions are:
  • Which DOCTYPE declaration should I use? xHTML or HTML5?
  • Can I have a list of all the *.php files that include template files?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Some questions about the template files...

Post by Brf »

energyuser wrote: or to change the file extension form *.html to *.xhtml
The file extension the user's browser sees is .php. The user's browser never sees any .html files.
energyuser

Post by energyuser »

I know but somehow I want to have a *.xhtml extension for my template files, since they use the xHTML DOCTYPE... Sorry, but that's what I'm used to. All my web project using the xHTML syntax have a *.xhtml extension and content-type application/xhtml+xml. However all my HTML projects have the *.html extension and the text/html content-type.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

The extension used by the templates is irrelevant. Back in phpBB2 they were .TPL files. They were only changed to .html for phpBB3 because they contain mostly HTML code. There is no difference at all to whatever extension you want to use.
energyuser

Post by energyuser »

Brf wrote:The extension used by the templates is irrelevant. Back in phpBB2 they were .TPL files. They were only changed to .html for phpBB3 because they contain mostly HTML code. There is no difference at all to whatever extension you want to use.
I know about the *.tpl files, been using phpBB2 back then... Anyway thanks for the explanation. Probably I won't change my template files at all.

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”