How to add Forum Categories as Tabs

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Anti-Spam Guide
Coder112

How to add Forum Categories as Tabs

Post by Coder112 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:04 am

Hi,
How can I add forum categories as tabs in phpBB 3.0

Thanks for your time.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: How to add Forum Categories as Tabs

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:06 pm

what is a "forum category"?

you have categories and inside them you have forums and maybe you have subforums inside those forums.

please explain exactly what you are wanting to do.

robert
I am going to be out of town and off line for a week . see ya when I get back.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

A-Man

Post by A-Man » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:52 am

Coincidentally, I was just looking for the same thing.
Let me clarify:
We're looking for an extension/mod which lets you have categories be tabs, and depending on what category tab you're opening, only the subforums having that category as a parent will appear. It generally looks cleaner and is more convenient to use if you have lots of sub-forums in your index page.
Examples: http://www.avacweb.com/ http://hackforums.net/

I've come across this mod: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2144848
Seems to work, except that it reloads the page every time a tab is clicked, and that the .rar file is corrupted (throws an "unexpected end of file" error).

regazer
Name: Reginald Gazer

Post by regazer » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:20 pm

He, I think I can help you. After downloading the corrupted ZIP-file I "repaired" it using "DiskInternals ZIP Repair" and replaced the deleted "modx.prosilver.en.xsl" of that ZIP with one that matches.
[BETA] Forum Categories in Tabs 0.0.2.zip
restored file
(33.75 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Please report here if it works. I only looked if the files are complete and didn't have the time to test it.

regazer

Post by regazer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:36 am

Sorry for making a new post instead of editing the last. But there's something new to say after finding time to test this "[BETA] Forum Categories in Tabs". I found another (and like I think better) way to solve the problem.

Take "styles\prosilver\template\overall_header.html" and find

Code: Select all

<li class="icon-home"><a href="{U_INDEX}" accesskey="h">{L_INDEX}</a> <!-- BEGIN navlinks --> <strong>&#8249;</strong> <a href="{navlinks.U_VIEW_FORUM}">{navlinks.FORUM_NAME}</a><!-- END navlinks --></li>
That's for me line-nr. 129 and replace it with something like

<li id="tabs" style="line-height:25px; font-size:12px; margin:0; padding:0;"><a style="background: #CCC; border: 1px solid black; padding:0 8px;" href="{U_INDEX}" accesskey="h">{L_INDEX}</a> <!-- BEGIN navlinks --><a style="background: white; border: 1px solid black; padding:0 8px;" href="{navlinks.U_VIEW_FORUM}">{navlinks.FORUM_NAME}</a><!-- END navlinks --></li>
You can change this all like you want, and better define it in one of the css-files.

That's all what I can say at the moment after testing the "[BETA] Forum Categories in Tabs" and found it so unusable that I only took the one usable idea behind it. That was to use id="tabs" instead of class="icon-home" and then that in the right file.

Like it looks you can see in my testforum "http://regazer.vhostall.com/f1/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18"

If you had another suggestion then please let me know.

EDIT:
For relative sizes you have to use em instead of px :lol: - for example it can look like this

<li id="tabs" style="line-height:2.1em; font-size:1.2em; margin:0; padding:0;"><a style="background: #CCC; border: 1px solid black; padding:0 0.65em;" href="{U_INDEX}" accesskey="h">{L_INDEX}</a> <!-- BEGIN navlinks --><a style="background: white; border: 1px solid black; padding:0 0.65em;" href="{navlinks.U_VIEW_FORUM}">{navlinks.FORUM_NAME}</a><!-- END navlinks --></li>

ac_roma

Post by ac_roma » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:31 am

you can use css and html codes in header if you want and add it handly

regazer

Post by regazer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:11 pm

Maybe that someone is interested how I tried to make a prosilver based style with tabs. :lol:

I named it simply "myprosilver" for the tests. If anyone is interested to continue please rename it and let me know. :roll: Excuse that I describe my ideas and suggestions on my website in german, my home language.

Look here http://regazer.vhostall.com/f4/phpBB3/v ... p?f=8&t=25 if you're interested. There you can download my two tests of it. But needed is only the newest of both. Prosilver must be installed too or you have to complete the missed files from there. Caused of problems with the shitty "Internet Explorer" I didn't continue the development.

You can use this test account:
name : schmingus-dingus :lol:
password : tester :mrgreen:

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”