Custom Field Does Not Conform To Theme Style

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Scam Warning
AlexG2490

Custom Field Does Not Conform To Theme Style

Post by AlexG2490 »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.11
What is your board's URL? http://spookycolorado.com/forum
Who do you host your board with? Dreamhost
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? adinfinitum, artodia, dirtyboard, prosilver, subsilver2
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Created a custom field for registration
Please describe your problem. I have created a custom field for registration and made it required. It works, it collects information, it writes it to the database. But my theme makes all fields black with white text. This new field I created is not being made black. But the text is still being made white. This means desktop users have to highlight to read their entry. How can I make a new field conform with the stylesheet for the remainder of the forum?
Generated by SRT Generator
david63

Re: Custom Field Does Not Conform To Theme Style

Post by david63 »

You should really be asking this question at the place where you got the style - which is here https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... _2/support
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
AlexG2490

Post by AlexG2490 »

Thank you David. I understand the need for posting things in the correct subforum, but that being said, I feel like I'm being passed from department to department here.

1. I posted this in the general support area and was directed to a database to search for theme threads.
2. When I searched for a subforum for the specific theme that was in use, I couldn't find it in the database lookup I was provided. Instructions on that page say to use the general forum in that case.
3. Now with your link I have been able to find the forum for the theme I am using. It's a veritable wasteland, with one single topic that was posted nearly two years ago and never replied to. The odds of getting an answer seem slim to none.

Based on what I know of HTML and CSS, my question should be relatively simple to answer. Is there really nobody who can provide a simple guide on how to apply styles to custom form fields? I don't know the platform that well so I could be totally off base, but it seems ludicrous to me that the steps to achieve what I want to achieve are so totally different from theme to theme that it would be impossible to answer it as a basic and generic question. Am I wrong?

Thank you! I would really appreciate any help that anyone can offer!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

It is strange that that style does not do this automatically.

open styles/yourstyle/template/custom_profile_fields.html in your text editor.

find:

Code: Select all

<!-- BEGIN text -->
	<textarea name="{text.FIELD_IDENT}" rows="{text.FIELD_ROWS}" cols="{text.FIELD_COLS}">{text.FIELD_VALUE}</textarea>
<!-- END text -->
replace with:

Code: Select all

<!-- BEGIN text -->
	<textarea style="background-color: #000;" name="{text.FIELD_IDENT}" rows="{text.FIELD_ROWS}" cols="{text.FIELD_COLS}">{text.FIELD_VALUE}</textarea>
<!-- END text -->
luck,

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
AlexG2490

Post by AlexG2490 »

Robert,

Thank you, I really appreciate your response. However, if I am interpreting your code right, that's just taking the field in question and forcing it to be black. That'll be fine for the desktops, but if someone comes in on their phone and gets pushed the mobile theme, then they'll have the same problem in reverse, because now the field is always black. Is that a true statement?

What I was really hoping for was a way to tell the field "Whatever the active style says, do the same." Though as you said, it's weird that this doesn't happen automatically. My best guess, based on what I know of CSS, is that there might be a class or something that has to be applied to the field to tell it to check for the theme's specified style.

Thanks, I appreciate the help!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

why would it be different for desktops and mobile? do you have different styles setup for mobile and desktop?

if you are using the same style for both then it will not change just because someone is using a mobile device.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

hey Alex!

Sounds like an easy problem to fix, but the link to your board doesn't seem to be working at the moment :(

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”