skinning phpbb to use in wordpress

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Anti-Spam Guide
FliP0x

skinning phpbb to use in wordpress

Post by FliP0x » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:05 pm

Merry Christmas to you all!
First of all, I know this has been asked countless times through the years (because I googled and found all those topics), but none were informative enough to help me out.
I watched a video by Css-Tricks (I believe it was called like this) and it explains how to skin phpbb to show your wordpress' header, footer and even sidebar.

I followed the instructions given in the video, but I only have the header background, but missing the navigation menu (which is very important to me).

I currently work on a free host to get the design, plugins and whatnot done before I move to a paid host. The Forum can be found under http://multiplayer.16mb.com/forum/.
It currenly still shows the phpbb logo (no big deal, could change that to show a custom logo in phpbb settings), but it does not the menu. It did show the social media links in the upper right corner, but without images so I removed the code.

Since I only know html basics, I would appreciate if someone could assist me with skinning phpbb to match my wordpress.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: skinning phpbb to use in wordpress

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:49 am

if you are using phpbb 3.0;

you go to your wordpress site. you view the source of the main page.

you will see all the html that makes up your header and menu etc.

you copy the part of the html and css that creates it and paste into a text file on your computer.

you then open the overall_header.html file of whatever style(s) you are using on your phpbb board.

you paste the required html into that file.

you will have to probably remove the header html that phpbb is using and replace it with yours.
you will have to tweak the css a lot to get your menu to work properly.

if there are any conflicting css names you will have to rename the ones from the wp css etc.

this is not really hard to do, it just takes a lot of time and tweaking to finally get it to all work properly.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

FliP0x

Post by FliP0x » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:30 pm

Wordpress uses php for its header file, so I cannot just replace it since phpbb uses html.

I copied the header code from wordpress' header file to phpbbs overal_header.html and included the CSS files.
The best I can get is the header style without the menu.

I added the css locations right after phpbbs css code, and the header wrapper is on top of the body container.

EDIT:
I am finally getting results. The actual header.php is not the same as displaying the source. It may look the same at first, but the source contains the information I was missing. I'll copy the proper code now.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:09 pm

yep, that is why I suggested viewing the source and copying the actual html.

wp combines the php and the html etc. in the same files. phpbb keeps them separate which is much easier to work with.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”