Bold font for members of usergroups

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Scam Warning
CarolC1

Bold font for members of usergroups

Post by CarolC1 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:11 pm

On prosilver it looks like the usernames of members of groups that have been assigned a group color are in bold.

I'm looking for the code that does that. I thought it would be in one of the stylesheets.

Still hunting, but if someone knows what file it's in offhand, I'd appreciate it. :)

Thank you.

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Re: Bold font for members of usergroups

Post by Christian 2.0 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:11 pm

Hey there!

Can I ask which style you're using at the moment?

CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Users have a choice of 2 styles, prosilver or Artodia Elegance.

Prosilver has the group member names in bold and I was going to see if I could apply that touch to the other style. The usergroups that are in blue or purple are hard to distinguish from registered users when the font is not bold, and we have one group in a bright blue and one in purple. As a temporary measure I adjusted the colors of those 2 groups to differentiate them more from registered users, but I'd rather make them bold.

I hope this isn't one of those questions where I need to ask the mod author. I didn't find it on a first pass in the .css files but I can look again, I probably missed it.

Thanks

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member

Post by Christian 2.0 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:34 pm

Thanks Carol!
CarolC1 wrote: I hope this isn't one of those questions where I need to ask the mod author.
Nah, this is a simple enough fix :)

Simply open: /styles/art_elegance/theme/layout_topic.css

Find:

Code: Select all

.postprofile dt {
    font-size: 14px;
    line-height: 1.4em;
    font-family: Arial, 'DejaVu Sans', 'Liberation Sans', Freesans, sans-serif;
}
After, add:

.postprofile dt a {
	font-weight: bold;
}
Let us know how you go :)

CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:28 am

Thanks so very much for the reply. :)

I edited, uploaded, refreshed the theme, and purged the cache, but it looks the same (not bold). I verified by ftp that the uploaded file is in the right place and contains the new code. Refreshed and purged one more time. Also tried another browser in case it was a caching issue. For some reason the usernames of group members still are not bold.

When I view the usernames in the acp under Manage groups>group name>members, they are bold because the style does not affect the acp. Go back to the index page, not bold.

I have a feeling I'm going to feel dumb when I find out what this is.

Thanks again

/* Poster profile block
----------------------------------------*/
.postprofile {
	margin: 2px 0 10px 0;
	min-height: 80px;
	color: #999;
	border-left: 1px solid #ddd;
	width: 22%;
	float: right;
	word-wrap: break-word;
}
.pm .postprofile {
	border-left: 1px solid #ddd;
}

.postprofile dd, .postprofile dt {
	line-height: 1.2em;
	margin-left: 8px;
	font-size: 11px;
}
.postprofile dt {
    font-size: 14px;
    line-height: 1.4em;
    font-family: Arial, 'DejaVu Sans', 'Liberation Sans', Freesans, sans-serif;
}

.postprofile dt a {
}

.postprofile strong {
	font-weight: normal;
	color: #3083aa;
}

CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:41 am

Excuse the double post but maybe it is just my eyes.
I made a side by side comparison and I wonder if it has something to do with the background color making the font look different. In this illustration, prosilver is on the left and Art Elegance is on the right. Even the registered users (eg. Kajitsu) look bold.
side-by-side.PNG

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member

Post by Christian 2.0 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi again Carol!

Ah, I think we've been looking in different places :)

The edits I provided above will help you change the username on 'postprofile' , which is the bit that shows the user's avatar next to every post.

To change the font weight in the location you've shown, simply add the following code to the bottom of layout_global.css :)

dd.lastpost a {
}

CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:44 pm

Thank you! That made a huge difference. It is much better! Now you can distinguish the colors and it looks more like what we are used to.

I apologize that I was so unclear in my first post. I reread it and it was very unclear and I'm sorry. Part of the problem is I am having trouble understanding what rule or principle governs the colors and associated font weights in prosilver.

Prosilver seems to have registered users in regular weight font.

Any groups that have an assigned color that you selected in Manage groups in the acp will show usernames in that color in bold (if the group is default for the user).

I think that's right...

Is there a way to keep registered users, who are not default members of any group, showing in regular weight font?

If that gets out of the styles folder and into a functions file or something, then I am happy with it just the way you did it. The code you gave me makes it look really good. Thank you so much.

And thanks for your patience. :D

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:02 am

registered users are members of the registered user group. therefore, if you set a group color for the registered user group then the members will show up as that color , in bold as long as they do not have another group/color set as their default.

when a member registers , they are automatically in the registered user group and take on whatever settings you have for that group.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:10 am

Yes, on our forum in prosilver, the basic registered users group has not been assigned any special color, so registered users show up in what looks like a dark midnight blue (almost black) and the font is very thin.

It's almost like the style is saying, when a member becomes part of a group that has a group color, display his name in the group color but also make his name bold.

It shows pretty well in the screenshot I posted if you look at the part on the lefthand side (which is prosilver). The user Kajitsu is a registered user, and his font is very thin in comparision with the names in colored font.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:39 am

yes, but if you go ahead and assign a group color to the registered user group then it will solve your problems.

robert

CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:13 am

I could, but I like the midnight blue and unadorned font of registered users in prosilver. And I like the colored font and bold weight of group members. I suspect I am being too picky wanting it a certain way and I need to just not worry about it.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:25 am

but you said you wanted the registered user's names to be bold.

if you go and set the group color to the same color it is now then it should bold it but not change the color.

after all , that is what you asked for in the beginning.

the code edit above does exactly that and you liked that.

I am confused about what you really want but it really doesn't matter if you are happy with what you have now.

luck,

robert

CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:52 am

It might have sounded like that was what I was saying, because I've had a hard time describing what I want. I apologize if I gave the wrong impression.

I want it to be like prosilver. I hoped I would be able to just copy a section of code out of the prosilver style and use it in the elegance style, and have the names of group members come out colored and bold, and have the names of registered users remain in the default midnight blue and not bold, like in prosilver. But I did not find it when looking in the prosilver .css files, so I thought I would ask here. It has to be somewhere. I need to look again I guess, but I haven't had time.

Thanks for at least reading my question, I always appreciate it and do this time, too. :)

EDIT TO ADD: Part of the problem is I don't know what I'm looking for. Apparently it is not something in the .css with the word 'groups' because I tried that, unless I just missed it. It is not just on the index page, because when you go in the acp the names are in bold there, too.

SECOND EDIT: This is in links.css, and it looks like it might have something to do with it.

/* Coloured usernames */
.username-coloured {
	display: inline !important;
	padding: 0 !important;
}
FINAL EDIT: That was it. I put it in the same place Christian 2.0 told me to try the other code, at the end of layout_global.css. I would have had no clue what file to put it in if I had found it to begin with. Now the colored font usernames are bold and the midnight blue usernames of registered users that do not have a color yet are not bold. I don't know if I never looked in that file because it was named 'links.css', or if I did but just missed it.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. This question can be marked solved.

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”