plz halp, can no longer see things changed on style

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Scam Warning
Valkster

plz halp, can no longer see things changed on style

Post by Valkster »

At first thought I was loosing my mind. Have been playing around updating to newest version then customizing some styles for about a week now. Usually if I just change out say... the header logo or something, all I have to do is refresh my browser and I see the change. Now for some reason I can only see the change if I restart my whole puter. I've tried deleting board cookies on the forum in my browser, refreshing the template in ACP, purging cache in ACP, even uninstalling the style then reinstalling it.

This is the same with Chrome, Mozilla and IE browsers

Usually I can figure these things out by just reading thru the forums or whatever but this one really has me pulling my hair out. Have no idea why things suddenly changed.

Site I'm working on: http://www.savage-elite.com
Board version: 3.0.14
david63

Re: plz halp, can no longer see things changed on style

Post by david63 »

First off - in the footer of your board it says that you have version 3.0.4, not 3.0.14. So which version are we talking about?

Second - why are you creating a new board with phpBB 3.0.x when the 3.0 branch is EOL and support fot it will cease at the end of the year - you really should be using 3.1.9

As to your problem - how are you making your changes? Are you editing then via the ACP? If so then any changes made that way are only temporary and will be lost the next time that the cache is purged.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Valkster

Post by Valkster »

First off - I was going by what it says in the ACP here:
Ser.png
Ser.png (11.39 KiB) Viewed 7659 times
Second - I took this board over and upgraded it from one which has been down since like 2010 in hopes of saving some info etc in it. I'm pushing 60 yrs old and have never touched a website file in my life until about 2 weeks ago. So I know about as much about phpBB versions as I know about quantum physics. If its possible to upgrade to this newer err... new one, than I shall endeavor to learn how next.

As to my problem - I was making the changes by tweaking and modifying files then uploading them with ftp. Only because I saw someone do it like that back at the time of the old website.

The problem which in hindsight was probably on my computer has since cured itself after several restarts and some light prodding with a heavy hammer.

So I thank you for taking the time to try and help me out and if ya don't mind, ask one last question. Is it possible to upgrade the install? If not will it just stop working at some point or just be "supported"?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

to edit the html files for the style you must download the file to your computer, make your edits in a text editor only. then upload back to the server. then you have to go into the admin panel and refresh the template/theme/imageset for your style.

then, you need to purge the cache and then refresh your browser.

or, if you are going to be doing a lot of changes, go to the admin panel.

on the left side menu at the bottom you will see load settings.

click on that,
on the right side you will see the setting for "recompile stale styles" check yes for that.

go back to the main page of the admin panel, click on the purge cache button.

now, when you download/edit and upload back a style file, you will not have to refresh the templates etc. just your browser to see the changes.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Valkster

Post by Valkster »

Very cool thank you!

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”