One Forum - Different Styles?

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Anti-Spam Guide
NickStone

One Forum - Different Styles?

Post by NickStone » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:41 pm

Hello,

I want to display a forum on different websites. The idea is to install Phpbb3 once, and have for each site a different style. People who adress the Forum from site A see style A, from site B see style B, etc..

How can I do this in the new PhpBB3? I've been searching this forum but didn't find anything useful.

thanks in advance

Darkelarious

Re: One Forum - Different Styles?

Post by Darkelarious » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:01 pm

NickStone

Post by NickStone » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:09 pm

I don't want visitors to choose the style or create a demo. The site from which they are visiting the forum should choose the specific style.

Thanks anyway

Darkelarious

Post by Darkelarious » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:12 pm

but you could link to ?style=1 from one site, and to ?style=4 from another.

Matthew69

Post by Matthew69 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:45 pm

I am not completely sure how phpBB3 does style. I am not sure if they store them in the database or not, but I know that you can run multiple installs of the same database. If i am understanding what you are asking you can have someone post on one site, and it automatically goes to another! If thats not what you are asking let me know. I will play around with this later!

NickStone

Post by NickStone » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:40 pm

Matthew69 wrote:I am not completely sure how phpBB3 does style. I am not sure if they store them in the database or not, but I know that you can run multiple installs of the same database. If i am understanding what you are asking you can have someone post on one site, and it automatically goes to another! If thats not what you are asking let me know. I will play around with this later!
That's what I mean. Posting from different sites in what seems to be different forums, but in fact is one Forum...

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:43 pm

Wouldnt they have the same forums and topics and things?

Matthew69

Post by Matthew69 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:43 pm

I see what you mean. You might be able to do that. Like I already said, I am not completely sure how phpBB3 tells the browser which style to use, but that could be possible. I will check soon, because that is a good question. I have my brothers site that runs off of two different URLs, but from the same database. I will play around with them, because I have wondered how it works to. All I know about the styles, is how to add them and modify them. I will deffinetly look in to this!

Angel-girl

Post by Angel-girl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:11 pm

Apologies if this is not appropriate here, but I would like some help getting my forum to run this way. I want the style to remain the same on both, but I want two separate URLs that edit the same database. How is this accomplished?
Follow me to Alphabet City

Matthew69

Post by Matthew69 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:51 pm

It reall depends on the hosting you use. I know alot use localhost for the database, but I am not sure how you would be able to do this unless you did it like this

www.yourdomain.com/forum1
or
www.yourdomain.com/forum2

I run a free webhost, and instead of localhost we use like..... sql4.exforce.info. So if they are running on the same site, all you have to do it set the database files the same. So you would edit the config.php file, and make sure that the password, username, database, host, and prefix are the same.

I would setup two databases, because its easier to edit the file after it exists. So you have them both set up. Then you need to choose which database you want to use. Then set in the config file to the database settings. Once you do that your login will the the same on both sites, and your posts will be synced together.

Angel-girl

Post by Angel-girl » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:27 am

I think I actually understood that. Thanks!!!
Follow me to Alphabet City

Matthew69

Post by Matthew69 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:27 am

Your welcome, I wasn't sure that you would. I wasn't sure if i did for that matter :shock: Well if you need help feel free to send me a message on here. If you can message me and I will give you me email :D Good Luck to you!

NickStone

Post by NickStone » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:54 pm

Matthew69 wrote:I see what you mean. You might be able to do that. Like I already said, I am not completely sure how phpBB3 tells the browser which style to use, but that could be possible. I will check soon, because that is a good question. I have my brothers site that runs off of two different URLs, but from the same database. I will play around with them, because I have wondered how it works to. All I know about the styles, is how to add them and modify them. I will deffinetly look in to this!
Thanks!

Matthew69

Post by Matthew69 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:50 pm

No Problem, Glad to Help! I hope I helped out a litte!

NickStone

Post by NickStone » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:38 pm

Darkelarious wrote:but you could link to ?style=1 from one site, and to ?style=4 from another.
This only works in Firefox...

Didn't find out how to handle my problem yet... Help would be welcome! :?:

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”