How to Convert PhpBB2 Themes into PhpBB3 themes?

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Suggested Hosts
ahirmayur

How to Convert PhpBB2 Themes into PhpBB3 themes?

Post by ahirmayur »

Please Help me guys,
I have some good looking phpBB2 themes can anyone explain me in detail how to convert them to phpbb3 themes??
porfavor

Re: How to Convert PhpBB2 Themes into PhpBB3 themes?

Post by porfavor »

It's not that easy. Have a look at the different sites offering phpBB3 styles. There is a lot different. I am pretty sure you won't manage.
cariel

Post by cariel »

I want to convert a phpbb2 style as well, so that information would be VERY USEFUL =)
Cream-T

Post by Cream-T »

Aye, tips on conversion would be very welcome! However, it seems that they are as similar to each other as apples and canaries - I think it'll be a matter of starting from scratch to get the new board look vaguely like the old one.
Matthew69

Post by Matthew69 »

Like porfavor has said, its not easy to convert templates over. You need to know how the template system works, and what codes MUST be in the template, along with being about to make images that phpBB2 never needed. Unless you care to learn then you most likely wont get anywhere, and you might still get no where. If you have a template you like from phpBB2 I would suggest you send the author an email, and ask for a conversion from phpBB2 to phpBB3.

Also you would need to get permission from the author of any template to be allowed to convert it over, with out permission from the author you are out of luck!
Cream-T

Post by Cream-T »

The authors of our phpBB2 style are those who are now working on the port to phpBB3 - we've given ourselves the permission and are now doing the coding... :)
cariel

Post by cariel »

This is a pic of our old phpbb2 forum
I would really like something similar for our new phpbb3 board. Any help modifying a phpbb3 template would be amazing. I think it was just a modified version of one of the original themes, but the person who modified it no longer works on our site, so ... I don't really need permission to upgrade the theme to phpbb3...
Matthew69

Post by Matthew69 »

That is a phpBB2 style, and its up for download. Its been modified, but you still need permission from the original author of the style. You aren't allowed to use any images they have made with out their permission. Just because its modded a little doesn't mean you have complete rights to a style.

The templates called iCGstation just search for the name on here or google and you might find who created. Just ask. If they say yes go for it, if not. Please don't.

Thank :D Sorry if that sounded a bit mean. It wasn't supposed to be at all, just how it works
cariel

Post by cariel »

The original author of the style is Ray and his site is all in Chinese.... How do I go about contacting him? I am fluent in Japanese, but not Chinese haha
Matthew69

Post by Matthew69 »

You could use goolge translator.
cariel

Post by cariel »

That works very nicely with Spanish, French, and German (romance languages) but it's poor for Asian language translations. ;) I've already tried using excite.co.jp -- to translate it to Japanese (from Chinese) but it's ... still not very comprehensible

This is the site the credit links to: http://www.ioptional.com/
Why couldn't I just credit him?? and say 'email me if you don't want us using your theme even though we are crediting you'??
kangure

Post by kangure »

The original author of the style is Ray and his site is all in Chinese :)
Free phpBB33 styles themes phpBB3 styles templates skin Download
Swollows

Post by Swollows »

I've been converting a 2.x style to 3.x and unless your skilled in html/css i wouldnt even bother trying, i've hit so many problems along the way its starting to piss me off.

I've converted half the [subSilver2 3.x style] into my own.

After a week this is what ive got.

http://www.uriako.co.uk/forum

As you can see i've hit quite a few problems and im no where near finished, so unless your ready for weeks of coding and style transfering i really wouldnt bother trying to convert a 2.x theme to 3.x
asiaeast

Post by asiaeast »

Most Chinese programmers are highly fluent in English. Remember, programming languages work in English, anyway.

It's pretty easy to start creating your own theme. I just added my own header and some little things to my site already. But if I wanted to download a new theme and install it, then I'll have to start from scratch again. :D

After adding the header, I found moving the search box down into the "Board Index" box helpful. Really, it took me a couple weeks to digest even a little of the inner workings of phpBB3, so I can't brag much. I'm thankful it's all open source, right? The comments inside give some good instruction on how to keep the original designer's intentions clear.

http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule1j

I'm still looking for that elusive original style. How can I make a forum that doesn't look so much like a forum, so people will be a little more interested in getting involved?
phreakwars

Post by phreakwars »

As long as your familiar with HTML and .CSS it's pretty easy. I've done it to my forum with good results.The first thing to keep in mind is your PhPBB2 forum was probably more then likely, table based, so converting it, might actually prove to be a bit easier using a subsilver2 coding base. Not only did I have to adjust the .CSS, I needed to do a couple of minor template edits. Doing it in subsilver 2 over prosilver proved much easier.

But that was a while back, I have kinda adapted to the prosilver method, although, it is still way harder just in the .CSS

It's not that it is harder to understand, you just have way more elements to fiddle around with.... but then, on the flip side... having all those extra elements can be a GOOD thing, depends on how far you wanna push your theme creating talents I suppose.
MODS by me: Default Topic Icon

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”