Embedding PHPBB3.0.1 into a website

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Get Involved

Embedding PHPBB3.0.1 into a website

Postby kaeros » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:35 am

Hi,

I've been beating my head against the wall on this, and just can't figure out a way to get it to work so far, and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I'm using a CSS and php files to set up my website, and want to have a 5 'frame' page setup. Basically I want a top left box that would be a static log, a top bar that would be banner stuff that updates from time to time, a left navigation bar, a main window taking up most of the space, and a small bottom bar with info on the page/whatnot.

None of those things are the problem, got it all working. My problem is that I can't figure out a way to get the phpbb to show in the 'main window' area when someone clicks on the forums link.

I don't want to carry the login stuff everywhere or anything like that, though I suppose I can go that route and have the users login info be global to the whole site, but still.

Anyway, is there any way to get the phpBB to come up into the main area that you guys can think of?

And yes, it's my site, I have full access, and uploaded the phpBB stuff myself and whatnot ;) The forum works fine btw, it's just a matter of getting it to show up on other pages I want it visible on. :P
Last edited by stickerboy on Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Styles
kaeros

Re: Embedding PHPBB3.0.1 into a website

Postby Magimedia » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:06 pm

How are you getting your other pages to show in your main frame?
Surely it's as simple as <A href="/forum/" target="framename">
No?
Magimedia

Postby tucsondrivers » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:46 pm

Magimedia wrote:How are you getting your other pages to show in your main frame?
Surely it's as simple as <A href="/forum/" target="framename">
No?

:lol: wow that's like one of those things I would never think of! I wanted to implement the forum into a main frame but couldn't figure it out, but its so simple! thanks magi..
http://tucsondrivers.com -- Hyundai Tucson Forum & Community
tucsondrivers

Postby Beanman1 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:04 am

You might want to look into an easier option of intergrating the site and message boards and look at a CMS like Dragonfly.
Beanman1

Postby nico66s » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:04 pm

I don't know if it's what you want but if it's like www.nico66s.it you can look at this thread (it's italian but I can give you explanations in english).
Basically I needed to have the same graphics on every page of the site, either it's a html page, wordpress or phpbb.
Nico from phpbb.it translation team
nico66s

Postby What to do now » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:04 am

nico66s: wow thats relly a nice integration of the forum - well done.
Can you give some explanation on how you did it- in english please (I can't read italien)? I testet the code you posted on your webside but I can't get it to work (nothing changing). I did refresh template in ACP. Using phpbb 3.0.1 prosilver.
What to do now

Postby Ablefish » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:39 am

Another alternative is Joomla + phpbb3 + jfusion (free joomla extension). I just got this fired up this weekend and I'm really liking how it integrates the forum into the cms. It unifies the login and does a great job of providing "latest threads" and private messaging modules to make the forum very accessible. Now I just have to read up on templating to get the forum to visually belong.
Ablefish

Postby nico66s » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:17 pm

What to do now wrote:nico66s: wow thats relly a nice integration of the forum - well done.
Can you give some explanation on how you did it- in english please (I can't read italien)? I testet the code you posted on your webside but I can't get it to work (nothing changing). I did refresh template in ACP. Using phpbb 3.0.1 prosilver.

I basically made my design with photoshop and then I've got the 3 images I needed: one for the header, one that becomes the background and one for the footer.
Then I could use them to make a normal html + css page, a wordpress template and a phpBB3 style.
I went on CyberAlien's ColorizeIt! tool (bless him!!!) and made my prosilver modified version.
Then you basically need to use your 3 images inside prosilver. You can do that in many ways.. I might not have used the easiest one, so you might also try to look for some tutorials for editing the header.
Nico from phpbb.it translation team
nico66s

Postby mcdanielnc89 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:07 pm

Well, If you still need help, it took me forever to figure mine out. If you need help just give me PM.
mcdanielnc89

Postby dan.crouthamel » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:37 pm

I'm interested in this topic as well. I'll use phpbb.com as an example. I like the way the forum is integrated into the page set and there is no loss in style when going from "Community" to "About" for example. I'm guessing this wouldn't be hard to do. Has anyone documented how to do so?
dan.crouthamel

Postby Mn3MoN1c » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:28 am

I am also interested in achieving this. Is modifying the forums php files to look like the website the only way? Is there no true way to simply embed the forum into another page?
Mn3MoN1c

Return to [3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion