[2.0.6] Font Face BBCode

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
52%
Very Good
35%
Good
10%
Fair
No votes
Poor
3%

Total votes: 31

F106

Post by F106 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:07 pm

UPDATE: I kept playing with codes, reloaded/reinstalled some of the files and added the MOD codes again (for the umpteenth time). I'm not sure what fixed it Image but it is fixed Image

Thanks again for yur help :D

Herbalite

Post by Herbalite » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:21 pm

F106 wrote: UPDATE: I kept playing with codes, reloaded/reinstalled some of the files and added the MOD codes again (for the umpteenth time). I'm not sure what fixed it Image but it is fixed Image

Thanks again for yur help :D
Good. Sometimes it's because the server that is caching the PHP files, and it takes a while until the new files are applied
In the interest of cutting costs, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off...

worx

Post by worx » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:57 pm

This appears to be exactly what I'm looking for, Herbalite ... except that it's for version 2.0.6. Might it work with the current version 2.0.17?

Herbalite

Post by Herbalite » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:32 am

worx wrote: This appears to be exactly what I'm looking for, Herbalite ... except that it's for version 2.0.6. Might it work with the current version 2.0.17?
Yes it does work for 2.0.17.
In the interest of cutting costs, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off...

worx

Post by worx » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:36 pm

It works in 2.0.17... but the drop-down fonts menu doesn't show in the post-edit dialog -- instead I see all of the fonts that I referenced in lang_main.php. I've reviewed the process but can't seem to find the error. Can you tell me which file needs attention? Thanks.

Herbalite

Post by Herbalite » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:13 am

@ worx

Never seen that before. Is the drop-down list fine when you choose create a new topic or reply to topic, before previewing it?

In any case, check out /templates/subSilver/posting_body.tpl

To me it seems the <select> tag gets somehow messed up. If you can't find an obvious problem, it may help if you look at the source code of the review in the browser. Use an editor that shows HTML markup and/or can validate HTML code. Alternatively try out a website that offers a HTML validating service.

Just as a sidenote on the wingdings fonts. Firefox, Mozilla and Opera and other bowsers cannot display such fonts, unless one knows how to hack it for FF and Moz.

tareek

Required Changes For Instaling It with Sub-Forum(MOD-CH)

Post by tareek » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:11 am

To install this Font Face MOD (v1.0.4) with the preinstalled MOD-CH (sub-forum) (Categories Hierarchy) (v2.1.0 or v2.1.1) , or to make it compatible with MOD-CH , do below steps :

Do not perform the installation instruction steps mentioned for "posting.php" and "privmsg.php" , instead, perform the steps mentioned for "posting.php" , inside the includes\bbcode.php ( , inside the function display_bbcodes() ) .

and add this ,

Code: Select all

while( list($key, $font) = each($lang['font']) )
{
	$template->assign_block_vars ('font_styles', array(
		'L_FONTNAME' => $font
	));
}
after

'L_STYLES_TIP' => $lang['Styles_tip'],
	));
... inside the function display_bbcodes().

Follow rest of the instructions normally.

worx

Post by worx » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:02 pm

Herbalite wrote: Is the drop-down list fine when you choose create a new topic or reply to topic, before previewing it?
No. I've found the problem though. It was, as you suspected, a mis-positioned </select>.

With respect to font families,
'Arial' is 'sans-serif'
'Times New Roman' is 'serif'
'Courier' is 'monspace'
In what family is 'symbol', 'wingdings', or other non-text font?

The 'symbol' font doesn't display. Any idea why not?

Herbalite

Post by Herbalite » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:01 pm

worx wrote:
Herbalite wrote: The 'symbol' font doesn't display. Any idea why not?
Symbol font's are poorly supported by browsers as for now, and somehow I believe that doesn't change soon, unless many developers see it as an essential tool. Then browser vendors might start to take notice of it.

worx

Post by worx » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:04 pm

Note that in the following image, the Font Face drop-down falls on a secondary line:
It seems more logical to me to reorder the three font drop-downs (Font Face, Font Size, and Font Colour) and position them on the same line. At the same time killing the 'Font' word-redundancy (in 'Font' colour & 'Font' size) would make it look cleaner. See the digitally manipulated example below:
Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Thanks.

__

Herbalite

Post by Herbalite » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:58 am

@worx

Most changes needed are in templates/subSilver/posting_body.tpl

You will need to "shuffle" everything between the 3 <select> tags.

Make a backup of the file, just in case.

Find the start and end of each the 3 <select> ... </select> tags. Mark everything for one select including <select> ...</select>. And then swap them around with copy/cut and paste.

As for the description text. There are two methods.
  1. Find the text you want to change in the main language file language/lang_english/lang_main.php.
  2. Use CSS and limit the display width of the drop-down-list instead of changing the text.

In templates/subSilver/posting_body.tpl find the select tag for the font face drop down list. Within the tag add the following attribute:

style="width: 200px;"
    Note: You can change the number used for the width.

So the tag could look like this:

<select name="addbbcodefontface" onchange="bbfontstyle('[font=' + this.form.addbbcodefontface.options[this.form.addbbcodefontface.selectedIndex].value + ']', '[/font]');this.selectedIndex=0;" onmouseover="helpline('n')" accesskey="n" style="width: 200px;">
    I prefer this, as you will decide one time on the width of the drop-down list. Even if you add fontface entries that are possibly longer than the previous ones, the drop-downlist keeps it's width.

worx

Post by worx » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:39 pm

Excellent feedback, Herbalite. I'll give it a go. 8)

worx

Post by worx » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:18 pm

It worked! Thanks a million for your help:
I used a pixel width of 222 for the font-face drop-down. The 'Close Tags' hyperlink had to be forced down one line, using a <tr>...</tr> set.

Olja

Post by Olja » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:22 am

Hey guys!

I hope you can help me...
I am kinda sure I did it all right but still I get this line while posting a comment:

Any ideas how to solve this problem? :oops:

Herbalite

Post by Herbalite » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:00 am

@ Olja

I am assuming that the fontface drop-down list is empty then. Also since it seems to be a non English language on the screen-shot you provided, I believe the problem on your board is that you didn't apply the changes to all the different languages.

Check in language/lang_english/lang_main.php that you have applied all changes there, and also, that you did that for every language on your board. I am refering to these parts (in red) in the MOD file you downloaded.

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
# You need to do this for all installed languages

Check every line of the mod, where you see the comment above, and apply it to the appropriate files mentioned.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”