[2.0.6] Custom Title MOD

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.
Aexoden
Name: Jason Lynch

Re: [2.0.6] Custom Title MOD

Post by Aexoden »

The last version I released on my web site is 1.0.3 and is compatible with 2.0.20, at least. I don't know if there have been any significant changes since then, but it doesn't look like it. 1.0.2 will not successfully install on 2.0.20+ without changes, however.

I may ensure it works with 2.0.22 and resubmit this to the MOD database so that the site can be updated, but if I'm forced to convert it to MODX, I probably won't be very excited by the project. So I need to figure that out first.
SheWuff

Post by SheWuff »

I am getting a problem with this mod as it will not let you enter anything without getting the "title is too long' message. Also in the ACP when you set the number allowed, it will not save. I thought that there was also supposed to be an option where admin can turn off or on this feature so users can't acess this if admin wants to handle the titles. I don't see anything like that there at all. I also noticed that you can't access any posts as you end up with a critical error on every post you try to acess that has all kinds of crap involved with custom_title...yadayada stuff. I installed this with EasyMod, and the version I am running is 2.0.22.
Aexoden

Post by Aexoden »

SheWuff wrote:I am getting a problem with this mod as it will not let you enter anything without getting the "title is too long' message. Also in the ACP when you set the number allowed, it will not save. I thought that there was also supposed to be an option where admin can turn off or on this feature so users can't acess this if admin wants to handle the titles. I don't see anything like that there at all. I also noticed that you can't access any posts as you end up with a critical error on every post you try to acess that has all kinds of crap involved with custom_title...yadayada stuff. I installed this with EasyMod, and the version I am running is 2.0.22.
Even if you install with EasyMOD, you still need to upload and access title_install.php to modify the database. That should pretty much solve every problem you have by the sound of it.

As for disabling it so only admins can do it, the easiest way to is set the required number of days of registration or posts very high such that no one can reach it. (e.g. 1000000 posts).
pdot_rob

Post by pdot_rob »

Hi there, I just installed this mod and it seems to be working except for one problem...when I try to log into my administration panel, I now get the following error message:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING in /home/wwwmcd7/public_html/forum/language/lang_english/lang_admin.php on line 579

I checked the "lang_admin.php" file and it seems fine to me, I made sure to make the changes exactly as the install file instructed. I made the code changes manually, and it should probably be noted that I was using the 1.0.2 version of the mod to install. I'm running the 2.0.23 version of phpbb.

Can somebody help me?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

If you have no mods installed you can try this one which is a txt file. So download, save as lang_admin.php and upload into the language/lang_english/ folder.

In lieu of that, what does it state on line 579 of your lang_admin file?
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
pdot_rob

Post by pdot_rob »

RMcGirr83 wrote:If you have no mods installed you can try this one which is a txt file. So download, save as lang_admin.php and upload into the language/lang_english/ folder.

In lieu of that, what does it state on line 579 of your lang_admin file?
My board is fairly heavily modded. Line 579 of the lang_admin.php file has something unrelated to the mod:

Code: Select all

$lang['Add_disallow'] = 'Add';
Sooo I dunno what to think. (?)
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Sorry meant to ask what line 578 said.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
pdot_rob

Post by pdot_rob »

$lang['Delete_disallow_explain'] = 'You can remove a disallowed username by selecting the username from this list and clicking delete';submit';
Thank you thank you thank! I don't know how the submit; got there, but I removed that and it all works now. Thanks again, that was a definite brain fart on my part.
Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter »

Finally I found this thread! :)

Aexoden, I don't know if this was discussed before, but your MOD is not working on phpBB 2.0.23. All fields from the Admin CP are blank and we can't modify anything there, that all fields are blank again.

And on my admin profile, I was unable to set any custom title rank. It says the text is too long, I believe the max lenght is set to 0 instead of 45.

Any idea how to fix this problem?

I really need to use this MOD, unfortunatelly I needed to remove since it was not working. :(
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."
Aexoden

Post by Aexoden »

Linda Carter wrote:Finally I found this thread! :)

Aexoden, I don't know if this was discussed before, but your MOD is not working on phpBB 2.0.23. All fields from the Admin CP are blank and we can't modify anything there, that all fields are blank again.

And on my admin profile, I was unable to set any custom title rank. It says the text is too long, I believe the max lenght is set to 0 instead of 45.

Any idea how to fix this problem?

I really need to use this MOD, unfortunatelly I needed to remove since it was not working. :(
Did you just install it? The cause at least for the second problem is usually that you didn't run title_install.php to change the fields in the database.
Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter »

Sorry Aexo, but this time it was not my fault, it was yours. :)

You have said this was a included file on the manual-install (see README for more details).

I was looking the readme file, and here's what I found:
a. EasyMOD Installation

This MOD is 100% EasyMOD Alpha compatible. I have tested the installation to work perfectly. However, there may be small bugs. If you have errors during install, please be sure to report them. Be sure to use the latest version of EasyMOD! (As of this writing, the current version is 0.0.10a, and is available at http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=124436)

1. Extract the included easymod_install.zip into your admin/mods/ directory. This will automatically create the necessary EasyMOD setup. 2. Using the "Install MODs" section in the administration panel, install the MOD. Follow the standard EasyMOD MOD installation instructions.

3. Place the included title_install.php into your root phpBB directory, and then run it. This will make the necessary database alterations. When it has completed, make sure it didn't report any errors, and then delete the file.
Well, I don't have any EasyMOD here, so I didn't follow any of those 3 steps. You should have explained better that we need to run this title_install.php file in order to make the necessary changes in the database, but instead of doing that you have placed this instruction like it was a optional step IF YOU HAVE EAZYMOD installed.

If you get what I mean. :)

Three small corrections for your manual:

The file: includes/usercp_register.php

#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------ 
#
$signature = str_replace('
# 
Replace this instruction for:

#
	$signature = (isset($signature)) ? str_replace('<br />', "\n", $signature) : '';
# 
And that one:

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------ 
#
templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl
# 
#
		<input type="text" class="post"style="width: 200px"  name="interests" size="35" maxlength="150" value="{INTERESTS}" />
	  </td>
	</tr>
# 
Replace by:

#
# 
#
		<td class="row2"><input type="text" class="post" style="width:200px" name="username" size="25" maxlength="25" value="{USERNAME}" /></td>
	</tr>
# 
The file:

# 
#
viewtopic.php
# 
#
//
$sql = "SELECT u.
# 
Replace by:

# 
#
viewtopic.php
# 
#
$sql = "SELECT u.
# 
At least, those lines are exactly that way on phpBB 2.0.23.
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Linda Carter wrote: You have said this was a included file on the manual-install (see README for more details).

I was looking the readme file, and here's what I found:

a. EasyMOD Installation

This MOD is 100% EasyMOD Alpha compatible. I have tested the installation to work perfectly. However, there may be small bugs. If you have errors during install, please be sure to report them. Be sure to use the latest version of EasyMOD! (As of this writing, the current version is 0.0.10a, and is available at http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=124436)

1. Extract the included easymod_install.zip into your admin/mods/ directory. This will automatically create the necessary EasyMOD setup. 2. Using the "Install MODs" section in the administration panel, install the MOD. Follow the standard EasyMOD MOD installation instructions.

3. Place the included title_install.php into your root phpBB directory, and then run it. This will make the necessary database alterations. When it has completed, make sure it didn't report any errors, and then delete the file.

Well, I don't have any EasyMOD here, so I didn't follow any of those 3 steps. You should have explained better that we need to run this title_install.php file in order to make the necessary changes in the database, but instead of doing that you have placed this instruction like it was a optional step IF YOU HAVE EAZYMOD installed.

If you get what I mean. :)
Ermmm, if you don't use Ez-Mod to install why are you reading the EzMod install instructions? Per the README First File, and I quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IV. Installation Guide

This MOD can be installed in one of two ways. If you have EasyMOD Alpha 2, use
that section. Otherwise, scroll down for the manual install. Regardless of
installation method, be sure to scroll down to the Configuration Guide for post-
installation instructions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a. EasyMOD Installation

This MOD is 100% EasyMOD Alpha compatible. I have tested the installation to
work perfectly. However, there may be small bugs. If you have errors during
install, please be sure to report them. Be sure to use the latest version of
EasyMOD! (As of this writing, the current version is 0.0.10a, and is available
at http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=124436)

1. Extract the included easymod_install.zip into your admin/mods/ directory.
This will automatically create the necessary EasyMOD setup.
2. Using the "Install MODs" section in the administration panel, install the
MOD. Follow the standard EasyMOD MOD installation instructions.
3. Place the included title_install.php into your root phpBB directory, and then
run it. This will make the necessary database alterations. When it has
completed, make sure it didn't report any errors, and then delete the file.
WARNING: FAILURE TO DELETE THIS FILE MAY PUT YOUR FORUM, SITE, AND SERVER AT
A POTENTIAL SECURITY RISK.
4. Follow the Configuration Guide provided below in section V.
b. Manual Installation

As with all MODs, manual installation is possible. If something doesn't work,
or if the directions seem unclear, please let me know.

1. Open the included manual_install.txt. Follow the instructions carefully, and
be sure to read everything. Many common questions asked in the support
thread can be answered simply by reading carefully!
2. Place the included title_install.php into your root phpBB directory, and then
run it.
This will make the necessary database alterations. When it has
completed, make sure it didn't report any errors, and then delete the file.
WARNING: FAILURE TO DELETE THIS FILE MAY PUT YOUR FORUM, SITE, AND SERVER AT
A POTENTIAL SECURITY RISK.
3. Follow the Configuration Guide provided below.
Obviously, you wanted to read the green part and not the red part if not using EzMod. a and b happen to be subsections of IV with 1, 2, 3, etc. being sub-sections of a and b. The instructions for mods are to be read and comprehended for the mod to work.

Further this type of comment from you
Linda Carter wrote:Sorry [insert mod author/name of mod here], but this time it was not my fault, it was yours. :)
I for one am getting tired of reading throughout the forum in one form or another.

I'm sure Aexoden would be very appreciative of your apology.

Have a good day!!
Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter »

Something is terribly wrong here. Now that I have followed all your instructions, now that those numbers are showed on the Admin CP, the field "Rank" from all profiles is gone!!!! :o :? :cry: :(

Please, help me!

I have placed all my modified files below, please take a look:

http://rapidshare.com/files/94643822/ra ... s.zip.html

I really don't know what's going on. When the file title_install.php was running, it said that everything was done and no error messages. I don't believe I have done anything wrong while editing.

Please, if it's not too much to ask, take a look at my modified files, they already have all your required modifications, but like I said, this field is not being showed on any profiles. :oops:
Last edited by Linda Carter on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter »

RMcGirr83 wrote:Ermmm, if you don't use Ez-Mod to install why are you reading the EzMod install instructions? Per the README First File, and I quote
You are missing my point here, as usual.

This readme file has almost exactly the same instructions from the manual_install.txt.

And it was talking about EazyMOD, which has the following instruction attached:

That's why I believed that the previous file (manual_install.txt) was incomplete, because there's no specific instruction to place the included title_install.php anywhere on the root directory in order to make any database changes.

That was not an accusation, it was a suggestion. People don't usually read README files because they are filled with advices about things we already know about it. And in this case, the readme file was filled with the same instructions from the manual.

So, I didn't catch those lines (on the readme file):
b. Manual Installation

As with all MODs, manual installation is possible. If something doesn't work, or if the directions seem unclear, please let me know.

1. Open the included manual_install.txt. Follow the instructions carefully, and be sure to read everything. Many common questions asked in the support thread can be answered simply by reading carefully!

2. Place the included title_install.php into your root phpBB directory, and then run it. This will make the necessary database alterations. When it has completed, make sure it didn't report any errors, and then delete the file.
So, you could say this was my fault, because I wasn't trying to find out why that included file was there. I was tired and it was 02:00 AM when I find this MOD, after a few hours figuring out why the other custom titles were not working.

After installing 20 different MODs, it was the first time someone have placed a instruction about what to do with a included file on another location. It was natural that I missed that step.

And for the record, I always use Notepad to look into all instruction files, so it's not something too obvious for me to be spotted.

But I suppose you think I am complaining about his work instead of making a suggestion (that was my original intention), since you have being hostile in that email thread when I was just looking for some answers.

Don't make this personal, I have nothing against you, so calm down, and stop trying to attack me.
Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter »

Now I know what's the problem! :)

While I was busy writing this post, explaining what's changed on the "FIND" instructions on phpBB 2.0.23, I just missed this edition:

# 
#
# 
#
		<input type="text" class="post"style="width: 200px"  name="interests" size="35" maxlength="150" value="{INTERESTS}" />
	  </td>
	</tr>
# 
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------ 
#
	<!-- BEGIN switch_custom_title --> 
	<tr> 
	  <td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_CUSTOM_TITLE}:</span><br /><span class="gensmall">{L_CUSTOM_TITLE_EXPLAIN}</span></td> 
	  <td class="row2"> 
		<input type="text" class="post"style="width: 200px"  name="custom_title" size="45" maxlength="{CUSTOM_TITLE_MAXLENGTH}" value="{CUSTOM_TITLE}" /> 
	  </td> 
	</tr> 
	<!-- END switch_custom_title --> 
# 
Now, everything is fine, and the MOD is working!

End of story! :mrgreen:

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”