[2.0.6] FIND - Forum Integrated News Delivery - Input

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
62%
Very Good
23%
Good
9%
Fair
2%
Poor
4%

Total votes: 150

xlorepdarkhelm

Post by xlorepdarkhelm »

I tried installing this once, and it didn't work. I had thought that it may have been a problem with my using the category hierarchy system. I also don't think I had the latest version of FIND. My question is, before I try this again, and have to reverse the process to take it out once more - does FIND work with the Category Hierarchy MOD, or does it need to be adjusted. If so, what adjustments would be needed to get it to mesh correctly with the Category Hierarchy system?
Signature intentionally left blank.

Jugulator

Post by Jugulator »

I have PHP Version 4.3.7 and when i will push to Get News Now! forum load me a blank page. I don`t understand where is the problem.
Please help me.. 10x you anticipated.
In pending

CyberSpy

MSG Summary integration

Post by CyberSpy »

I am having some difficulties with forum integration that I can't figure out. Everything is working fine, and it injects into my forums fine, with the exception, that when I click on the post, only the first line appears and then "read more" and at the bottom is "Source:". Sometimes I am lucky, and the description is long (about 4 lines) but most of the time, it's just the topic title, and when you click on it, just "read more" and the source at the bottom.

How can I have it NOT trim and show the full article, with the source at the bottom. I know it can be done, as other websites do it. (example)..

goto http://www.netstumbler.com , see "today's headlines" click on one (either the topic or the read more at the bottom). It shows the full article and it has the source at the bottom (MSNBC, SecurityFocus, etc). I want to be able to do the same thing. With a "glance" or "news" mod I can then put that on my index and click to the full article in the forum, and at the bottom have the source and copyright info.

Somebody PLEASE help. I've registered at syndic8, but it seems every feed I find, does the same thing. PLEASE help me get full article in my forum.

CyberSpy

mattbugz

Re: MSG Summary integration

Post by mattbugz »

CyberSpy wrote: How can I have it NOT trim and show the full article, with the source at the bottom. I know it can be done, as other websites do it. (example)..

CyberSpy

This mod simply pulls the feed from your source. (ie. http://www.microsite.reuters.com/rss/topNews) What you're seeing is basically the information the feed places in the description tag.

Here's an example:

Code: Select all

<item>
  <title>Osama Calls for Attacks, Turks Caught in Pakistan</title> 
  <guid isPermaLink="false">5943176</guid> 
  <link>http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=5943176&src=rss/topNews&section=news</link> 
  <pubDate>Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:25:31 GMT</pubDate> 
  <description>ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Osama bin Laden has called for attacks on targets in the United States and Britain, Pakistani intelligence officials said on Wednesday, but it was not clear if his appeal was accompanied by more detailed orders.</description> 
  </item>
Versus:

<item>
  <title>Modding Game Controllers For Greater Grip</title> 
  <link>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/11/1937219</link> 
  </item>
Which doesn't give a description at all.
--
Regards,
Matt

mattbugz

Repeated entries from some feeds

Post by mattbugz »

I noticed on occasion, I get the same topic from the same feed each time this mod performs a fetch.

Could this be an issue with the way the sources format the xml? Or is it a problem with the mod?

Here's a repeat offender: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/xml/

Thanks!
--
Regards,
Matt

Beavis2084

I don't understand part 1...

Post by Beavis2084 »

ok.. i got this mod... it'll do just what i want... but in reviewing the instructions, i don't understand the first part... the remainder seem easy to understand... open a file, search for a string, insert stuff before found line, etc..... but the first part is got me confused... PHP ????

here is the instruct....

#
#-----[ SQL ]------------------------------------------
#
# See schemas directory for databases other than mysql
#
CREATE TABLE phpbb_newsfeeds (
feed_id smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
forum_id smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
user_id mediumint(8) NOT NULL default '0',
news_url varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
news_name varchar(60) default NULL,
news_limit smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
news_active tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL default '1',
include_channel tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL default '1',
include_image tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL default '1',
PRIMARY KEY (feed_id),
KEY forum_id (forum_id)
);

#
#-----[ COPY ]------------------------------------------
#
copy admin/admin_newsfeeds.php to admin/admin_newsfeeds.php
copy admin/admin_newsfeed_sources.php to admin/admin_newsfeed_sources.php
copy mods/netclectic/find_input/news_insert.php to mods/netclectic/find_input/news_insert.php
copy mods/netclectic/find_input/includes/functions_news.php to mods/netclectic/find_input/includes/functions_news.php
copy mods/netclectic/find_input/includes/rss_parser.php to mods/netclectic/find_input/includes/rss_parser.php
copy mods/netclectic/includes/functions_insert_post.php to mods/netclectic/includes/functions_insert_post.php
copy language/lang_english/lang_admin_find.php to language/lang_english/lang_admin_find.php
copy templates/subSilver/admin/newsfeeds_body.tpl to templates/subSilver/admin/newsfeeds_body.tpl
copy templates/subSilver/admin/newsfeed_sources_body.tpl to templates/subSilver/admin/newsfeed_sources_body.tpl

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
includes/constants.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
?>

#
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]-----------------------------------
#
// FIND - newsfeeds
define('NEWSFEEDS_TABLE', $table_prefix.'newsfeeds');
define('POST_NEWSFEED_URL', 'n');
// end FIND - newsfeeds

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
language/lang_english/lang_main.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
//
// That's all, Folks!

#
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]-----------------------------------
#
// FIND - newsfeeds
$lang['Check_All'] = 'Check All';
$lang['UnCheck_All'] = 'UnCheck All';
$lang['News_Read_More'] = 'Read more...';
$lang['News_source'] = 'Source: ';
// end FIND - newsfeeds

#
#-----[ SAVE/CLOSE ALL FILES ]--------------------------
#
# EoM

help!

Beavis2084

xlorepdarkhelm

Re: I don't understand part 1...

Post by xlorepdarkhelm »

Beavis2084 wrote: ok.. i got this mod... it'll do just what i want... but in reviewing the instructions, i don't understand the first part... the remainder seem easy to understand... open a file, search for a string, insert stuff before found line, etc..... but the first part is got me confused... PHP ????

here is the instruct....

# 
#-----[ SQL ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
# See schemas directory for databases other than mysql
#
CREATE TABLE phpbb_newsfeeds (
      feed_id smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
      forum_id smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
      user_id mediumint(8) NOT NULL default '0',
      news_url varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
      news_name varchar(60) default NULL,
      news_limit smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
      news_active tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL default '1',
      include_channel tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL default '1',
      include_image tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL default '1',
      PRIMARY KEY  (feed_id),
      KEY forum_id (forum_id)
    );

This is SQL, you have to add this to your database, usually done through phpMyAdmin, but also can be done through the shell DB software that is a part of mysql. I believe there also is a site you can go to that will make a db_update.php for you for this, if you can't access your Database directly.

# 
#-----[ COPY ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
copy admin/admin_newsfeeds.php to admin/admin_newsfeeds.php
copy admin/admin_newsfeed_sources.php to admin/admin_newsfeed_sources.php
copy mods/netclectic/find_input/news_insert.php to mods/netclectic/find_input/news_insert.php
copy mods/netclectic/find_input/includes/functions_news.php to mods/netclectic/find_input/includes/functions_news.php
copy mods/netclectic/find_input/includes/rss_parser.php to mods/netclectic/find_input/includes/rss_parser.php
copy mods/netclectic/includes/functions_insert_post.php to mods/netclectic/includes/functions_insert_post.php
copy language/lang_english/lang_admin_find.php to language/lang_english/lang_admin_find.php
copy templates/subSilver/admin/newsfeeds_body.tpl to templates/subSilver/admin/newsfeeds_body.tpl
copy templates/subSilver/admin/newsfeed_sources_body.tpl to templates/subSilver/admin/newsfeed_sources_body.tpl

Hopefully, this wasn't confusing to you - you are simply copying files to your phpBB directory.

Beavis2084

Post by Beavis2084 »

ok.. i have full access to the box. i own it. i ssh as root or whatever i need all the time.

i setup a user that has full rights to the database when i got this up and running.

i am opposed to using a 3rd party add-on to manage anything when all this is true...

problem is, i know very little about using MySQL...

tell me how to connect to my database, and then i can just paste(?) the instructions in step 1 to the database to finish that???

i believe that is the case, but i don't know how to utilize MySQL that well yet.

i barely got this running ... was lucky enough to find a post where someone gave step by step instructions on how to setup the database. then it was like magic, and the config over web just worked!

Beavis2084

xlorepdarkhelm

Post by xlorepdarkhelm »

Beavis2084 wrote: ok.. i have full access to the box. i own it. i ssh as root or whatever i need all the time.

i setup a user that has full rights to the database when i got this up and running.

i am opposed to using a 3rd party add-on to manage anything when all this is true...

problem is, i know very little about using MySQL...

tell me how to connect to my database, and then i can just paste(?) the instructions in step 1 to the database to finish that???

i believe that is the case, but i don't know how to utilize MySQL that well yet.

i barely got this running ... was lucky enough to find a post where someone gave step by step instructions on how to setup the database. then it was like magic, and the config over web just worked!

Beavis2084

Well, I really don't know it offhand, I'd go to the mysql.org site, and read the documentation. Or, I'd install phpMyAdmin, which is a php interface to access your MySQL database system (and is secure, it's also among the most popular ways of accessing MySQL), you just unpack it in a directory within your webserver's document root, and then have to log into the MySQL system to access *anything*. It is a bit more straightforward there, especially if you aren't familiar with the mysql command.

However, the documentation on mysql.org does provide what you need as to how to add that line. IIRC, you need to use something along the following command:

mysql -u <mysql user that has privilege to access your phpbb database> -p <name of your phpbb database in your MySQL system>
you supply your mysql username in place of the first set of <>, and the name of your database in the second set of <>/ Then from there, you simply type the create database lines into the system, making sure to change the database prefix to what you use (the default is phpbb_, but, for instance, my test site's prefix is test_ for all of it's tables) - you can write all the lines together on one line if you want, just make sure and include the ";" at the end, or else the command won't execute.

Beavis2084

Post by Beavis2084 »

Thanks dude!

that little line of instruct was all i needed..... i'm a lazy fork!

yeh... i'm a fairly good Linux admin, but i know very, very little about MySQL... so now i know a little more!

i added the table in with that code, all done!

the rest was as simple as noted before (i'm a madman with bash and vi)... so... my forums now get RSS!!!!!

WOOHOO!!!

Great Mod there Dude (dude=creator of it... sorry, forgot the post starter's name... :P )

Aloha and Mahalo!

Beavis2084

Beavis2084

Post by Beavis2084 »

ok... so like i said... cool , very cool...

now a weird thing....

i know how crontab is suposed to work, but mine is not....

anyone have this working as a crontab?

here is mine... it's running in the database user's account...

22 1 * * 1 /usr/bin/GET http://forum.coleclan.net/mods/netclectic/find_input/news_insert.php?n=1 > /dev/null
22 1 * * 2 /usr/bin/GET http://forum.coleclan.net/mods/netclectic/find_input/news_insert.php?n=2 > /dev/null
22 1 * * 3 /usr/bin/GET http://forum.coleclan.net/mods/netclectic/find_input/news_insert.php?n=3 > /dev/null
22 1 * * 4 /usr/bin/GET http://forum.coleclan.net/mods/netclectic/find_input/news_insert.php?n=4 > /dev/null
22 1 * * 5 /usr/bin/GET http://forum.coleclan.net/mods/netclectic/find_input/news_insert.php?n=5 > /dev/null
but it did not seem to kick off at 01:22 this morning.... weird? what am i doing wrong ? anyone ???

Thanks!

Beavis2084

kewlbrew

Post by kewlbrew »

Im getting the following error when clicking on input newsfeeds in the admin panel. I installed using easymod. Any ideas

URL: http://gonewanderin.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php
Template(s) used: ?
Any and all MODs: topics calander
Do you use a port of phpBB: ? server port is 80
Version of phpBB: 2.10
Version of PHP: 4.1x
Which database server and version: mysql version ?
Host: ipowerweb.com

Couldn't obtain newsfeeds list

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1146 Table 'gonewand_p_bb1.NEWSFEEDS_TABLE' doesn't exist

SELECT f.forum_name, n.*, c.cat_id, c.cat_title, u.user_id, u.username FROM NEWSFEEDS_TABLE n, phpbb_forums f, phpbb_categories c, phpbb_users u WHERE f.forum_id = n.forum_id AND c.cat_id = f.cat_id AND u.user_id = n.user_id ORDER BY c.cat_order ASC, f.forum_order ASC, n.news_name ASC

Line : 298
File : /home/gonewand/.panel/web/bulletin/bb/admin/admin_newsfeeds.php

definity

Post by definity »

Hello, great MOD. I can't get it to work correctly. I see everything in the Admin panel, but when I click on "get news now", I get a blank page.

Running php 2.0.10
Php 4.3

If I don't have any news feeds assigned and click "get news now" I get another page telling me that nothing completed.

EDIT:

I just noticed that this mod is for version 2.0.6 :oops: ...I assume that is the problem. Has anyone else got this to work with version 2.0.10?

Please help...

webmedic

Post by webmedic »

I have modified this mod to work with integramod and allows you to post news to your portal page as a news item. You can choose a news catagory for each feed.

http://www.webmedic.net/released-forum- ... vt482.html

I laos plan ot add atom feeds and a new rss parser for the back end. I find the current one does not do as much as I would like.

definity

Post by definity »

Anyone got any news on the blank page issue?

If not, I guess I will be forced to send this mod to the trash can. :(

Cya L8r

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”