[2.0.6] FIND - Forum Integrated News Delivery - Input

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
62%
Very Good
23%
Good
9%
Fair
2%
Poor
4%

Total votes: 150

Miska

Post by Miska » Mon May 16, 2005 7:45 am

Just a little *bump* because it's been over twelve hours since my initial post and I really need to know . . . I don't really want to use FIND until I get this sorted out. :(

many thanks in advance,

~ Miska

** Update ** Nevermind, after looking at a good percentage of the "rogue" urls, I've noticed a lot (if not most) don't have any "link descriptions" in the URLs, such as:

Code: Select all

[url=http://blahblahexample.com]BLANK HERE[/url]

I'm guessing this is the fault of the rss feed source, correct?

OR

Could the Rss feed be putting too many characters into the link description that are being truncated by FIND? Does FIND do that (truncate) or simply "spit it out" as it's received?

fwiw: I do have the Admin HTML mod installed - and even with that the URLs that come through as straight HTML (don't show as links), just plain text.

Many Thanks (Again) in Advance,

~ Miska

Oliverhough

Post by Oliverhough » Sun May 22, 2005 2:43 pm

http://wow.azzor.com/my/wow-news.rss
http://wow.warcry.com/scripts/news/rss/19.rdf
http://www.worldofwar.net/news/news.xml
http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/wow-europ ... anguage=en

Can you tell me why non of theses work and just say completed with errors i tried it on a bbc xml feed whcihc worked fine but non of these seem to work.

Miska

Post by Miska » Sat May 28, 2005 6:19 pm

Oliver . .

The author's site is here: http://www.netclectic.com

You may be able to find an answer over there.

Hope this Helps . . .

Regards,

~ Miska

stez

Post by stez » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:26 pm

Excellent piece of mod! :D I'm a newbie to these stuff and it installed first time without any problems and running it was no problems, just have to figure out :? how to do the cron job via php.

Kyle

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:50 pm

I could never figure out how to set up a Cron job through php, but I did have the option in the CPanel. I had to go through the FTP Manager fo find the Crontab icon. By clicking on the Crontab edit icon, it gave me a screen that looked something like this:

The command that I use is:

GET http://4fxearth.net/phpBB2/mods/netclectic/find_input/news_insert.php > /dev/null
Just change the path to suit your site and it should work the same...

Now if I can just find someone who can tell me how to set up a Cron job to automatically run the phpBB Forum Prune functionality so that I don't have to click on my Newsfeeds forums every day to get it to work, I will be a happy camper...

:lol:

haalaaluu

Cron job

Post by haalaaluu » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:12 am

automation about cron job update is working as what netclectic mention in his instruction using "Get..." etc

yet, one admit is that "domain/root/updatescript.php" should be in the path of "domain/root/mods/netclectic/find_input/updatescript.php"

after add cronjob, test with * * * * * for every minute and check wether the cron job is working or not.

if the cron job is working and you still received in your provided mail about "No such file or directory" or "no command found" and your rss forum did not update then check your forum/board domain name setting. if you did park domain on sub domain, then correct back subdomain in your cron command line.. you wont go too far... :wink:

there is auto-prune function and set it whatever timing you want. it's auto delete back those feeding news post. for e.g. i command cron to check every 1 hour to update 0 * * * * and auto prune those news after 24 hours if my members are not touch/interested..

recommand to use RSS for your forum. http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=144548

it's the most easiest mod to install and very powerful.

now, you can read your entire loop from your feedreader or netnewswire!! have fun.. :)

sallam

Post by sallam » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:49 am

can anyone please give a link to where you're using this mod in your forums?

I need to know this: does this mod adds news feed items as forum topics?
or does it just list the news items in a separate page, then you have to click a link to discuss it?
can we use the mod to display rss feeds in several forums? or just one?

does automatically adding these news feeds add to the forum total post count?

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:24 pm

sallam wrote: can anyone please give a link to where you're using this mod in your forums?

I can't give you a direct link. To see my Newsfeeds forums, a member has to join the Group that is assigned to the Newsfeed forum. You are welcome to register on my forum and select a Newsfeed group if you want...
sallam wrote: I need to know this: does this mod adds news feed items as forum topics?

Yes
sallam wrote: can we use the mod to display rss feeds in several forums? or just one?

AFAIK, you can only feed one forum per feed. If you want to feed Multiple forums, you would have to create multiple entries far the same newsfeed and assign them to different forums...
sallam wrote: does automatically adding these news feeds add to the forum total post count?

Yes

:lol:

coulthar4

Post by coulthar4 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:56 am

Any ideas how you could mod the mod to allow the use of subforums to be used.

I cant get anywhere under a first layer if you understand
I have Rugby
Rugby union(b)
Rugby League(b)
Forum 1(Off of Rugby League)
Forum 2 (Off of Rugby League)

And I cant get what I want in forum 2

lifedeuce

Post by lifedeuce » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:58 pm

I'm having the same problem as Miska. Mine started however after I upfraded my forums from 2.013 to 2.015 Can anyone tell me why this is?

ChaosCaptain

Post by ChaosCaptain » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:54 am

I had a hard time getting this to work with PHP5 php 5.0.4

This makes a difference, I think. I have php4 compatibility mode turned ON in my php.ini:

zend.ze1_compatibility_mode = On

Three problems I've had:

1) Just didn't work out of the box. The way php5 handles/decides reference when passing objects to functions is different with php5. Did a little reading on the PHP documentation and came up with this fix:

in "mods/netclectic/find_input/includes/functions_news.php"

- $rss_parser = new rssParser();
+ $rss_parser = & new rssParser();

and in mods/netclectic/find_input/includes/rss_parser.php

- xml_set_object($this->_xml_parser,&$this);
+ xml_set_object($this->_xml_parser,$this);

... phew, now we're php5 compatible!

2) Second problem was with receiving RSS feeds with non-standard characters (out of the 20-127 range). The XML parser would choke. Since this doesn't occur very often, and I don't care if we lose a character or two, I changed the way we read in the XML:

First, the old way:
(inside mods/netclectic/find_input/includes/rss_parser.php)

// retrieve the data from the given url
if ($this->_fp = @fopen($RSS_URL,'r'))
{
  // read the file into our data in 4k chunks
  while ($data = fread($this->_fp, 4096))
  {
    // parse our xml data until we find the end of our file
    xml_parse($this->_xml_parser, $data, feof($this->_fp))
            or die(sprintf('XML error: %s at line %d',
            xml_error_string(xml_get_error_code($this->_xml_parser)),
            xml_get_current_line_number($this->_xml_parser)));

$result = true;
  }
}
CHANGED TO:

if ($this->_fp = @fopen($RSS_URL,'r'))
{
  while ( $line = fread($this->_fp, 4096))
    $data .= $line;

# Fixes a bug with xml parsing non-standard ascii characters:
  $data = preg_replace("/[^ -~\n]/", "", $data);

// parse our xml data until we find the end of our file
  xml_parse($this->_xml_parser, $data, true)
          or die(sprintf('XML error: %s at line %d',
          xml_error_string(xml_get_error_code($this->_xml_parser)),
          xml_get_current_line_number($this->_xml_parser)));

$result = true;
}
What changed is: instead of reading the RSS XML stream directly into the XML parser, I fetch the entire contents of the XML first, then I can preg_replace the bad characters out, then feed the resulting text to the parser.

3) My third problem was that each time I would fetch the RSS feed, it would create a new post, regardless of whether there was already a post there or not. Is there really nothing in this mod to prevent multiple posts?

I took care of this problem by adding this (in just the right spot) to mods/netclectic/includes/functions_insert_post.php:

#PREVENT DUPLICATE POSTS:
    $sql = "SELECT post_id FROM ". POSTS_TEXT_TABLE . " WHERE post_subject LIKE '$subject'";
    $result = $db->sql_query($sql);
    $row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result);
    if ( $row['post_id'] )
     return false;
I have the patch of all my changes available here:
http://www.modphp.org/src/find_input_1_ ... dups.patch

You can see my bulletin board with this mod applied, in action, here:
http://www.modphp.org/

thebassman

Post by thebassman » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:52 am

I just installed this mod, and I went to add a new forum, and got this error when trying to add it:
Couldn't insert row in forums table

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1136 Column count doesn't match value count at row 1

INSERT INTO phpbb_forums (forum_id, forum_name, cat_id, forum_desc, forum_order, forum_status, forum_enter_limit, prune_enable, auth_view, auth_read, auth_post, auth_reply, auth_edit, auth_delete, auth_sticky, auth_announce, auth_vote, auth_pollcreate, auth_attachments, auth_download) VALUES ('38', 'Just Testing - Ignore Me', 3, 'Please ignore - testing a new feature', 80, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 3, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1)

Line : 409
File : admin_forums.php

Any ideas?

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:13 am

It looks like you made a mistake when you installed one of the other MODs on your board. FIND - Forum Integrated News Delivery - Input doesn't add any fields to the phpbb_forums table and it doesn't change anything in the admin_forums.php file. Your changes for this MOD didn't cause the problem you just discovered...

If you are using EasyMod to install your MODs, you can roll back your changes in reverse order until the problem is resolved. Of course you probably wouldn't have this problem if you had used EM to install all of your MODs...

You need to go through each MOD that you have installed and find the one where you modified your admin_forums.php file and possibly your phpbb_forums table and check your modifications. You made a mistake when manually applying the MOD script from another MOD to one of your SQL queries in the admin_forums.php file. The number of VALUES has to match the number of fields in the first section of your query. Right now, your query has 20 fields and 21 VALUES, hence the explanation for your error message...

:!:

thebassman

Post by thebassman » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:49 am

Yeah... thanks... I figured it out... missed adding something in there. Sorry. :oops:

nuci

Post by nuci » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:39 pm

Can somebody please help me with this problem? I think it's quite simple for someone who knows a little of MyGresSql.

I'm trying to create a table as described in the read me from the above mentioned mod, this is the description for PostGreSql, not MySql:

CREATE SEQUENCE phpbb_newsfeeds_id_seq start 1 increment 1 maxvalue 2147483647 minvalue 1 cache 1;
CREATE TABLE phpbb_newsfeeds (
feed_id int4 DEFAULT nextval('phpbb_newsfeeds_id_seq'::text) NOT NULL,
forum_id int4 default '0' NOT NULL,
user_id int4 default '0' NOT NULL,
news_url varchar(255) default '' NOT NULL,
news_name varchar(60),
news_limit int4 default '0' NOT NULL,
news_active int2 default '1' NOT NULL,
include_channel int2 default '1' NOT NULL,
include_image int2 default '1' NOT NULL,
CONSTRAINT phpbb_newsfeeds_pkey PRIMARY KEY (feed_id)
);
CREATE INDEX forum_id_phpbb_newsfeeds_index ON phpbb_newsfeeds (forum_id);

My database gives this error:

http://spiero.oli.tudelft.nl/images/createtable1

Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”