[2.0.6] FIND - Forum Integrated News Delivery - Input

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
62%
Very Good
23%
Good
9%
Fair
2%
Poor
4%

Total votes: 150

beggers

Post by beggers »

quentin wrote:
GamersCircle wrote:RSS is the new wave of the Internet. Why? Well, it is a smaller drain on the connection that email or or a web browser and...IT IS SPAM FREE

yep, no ads, no spam. However, not much formating capabilities, and, as a publisher, no ads as well...

Maybe I am confused about this, but I seem to be getting a couple of different ads on these feeds. Things like "Get 2200 headlines free for your site", for example. Am I doing something wrong? Any way to block these promotional ads?

Haywood Jahelpme

Post by Haywood Jahelpme »

It is probably the feed you are using... Not all feeds have ads... from what I have seen... Which ones do you use and which ones have the ads?

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

beggers wrote: Maybe I am confused about this, but I seem to be getting a couple of different ads on these feeds. Things like "Get 2200 headlines free for your site", for example. Am I doing something wrong? Any way to block these promotional ads?

There is a difference between Spam and referencing the source (read copyright owner) of the material. If you really dont want to attibrute the source of the material then try unchecking the include channel info box in the admin control panel for the feed(s).
Defend the game:

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

th3gh05t wrote:
netclectic wrote:So, i assume you're using a windows server? I don't know.
Is it your own or is it hosted? Hosted
Do you have access to the windows task scheduler? In my computer, yes.
Do you know how to create a batch file? No, I don't know how to.
Do you know the path to where php is installed? No, I don't know where it is installed.

If you are hosted then it's probably a linux server, did you understand the bit about setting up a cron job? If so then you can ignore the bit about windows.
Defend the game:

TeMPeST

Post by TeMPeST »

Are there any demos of this in action?

Also, one thing I have always wondered about mods which require database additions - does the standard phpbb forum backup option also backup extra fields and tables etc?

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

TeMPeST wrote: Are there any demos of this in action?

You will find some in the BETA thread mentioned above.
[edit]we're on the second page now, so make that 'earlier' instead of 'above' ;)

TeMPeST wrote: Also, one thing I have always wondered about mods which require database additions - does the standard phpbb forum backup option also backup extra fields and tables etc?

No it doesn't. Not sure about extra fields but definitly not tables, you should using something else for your backups, e.g. phpMyAdmin.
Defend the game:

TimeVirus

Post by TimeVirus »

netclectic wrote:
TeMPeST wrote:Also, one thing I have always wondered about mods which require database additions - does the standard phpbb forum backup option also backup extra fields and tables etc?

No it doesn't. Not sure about extra fields but definitly not tables, you should using something else for your backups, e.g. phpMyAdmin.

Wow, never knew that, I've been backing up regularly with the push button thinking all was well. :roll:
I'm probably wrong again...

TeMPeST

Post by TeMPeST »

netclectic wrote:
TeMPeST wrote:Also, one thing I have always wondered about mods which require database additions - does the standard phpbb forum backup option also backup extra fields and tables etc?

Yup, thought so... thanks for clarification. I have a seperate script which I'll cron.

Great job once again neclectic. :)

th3gh05t

Post by th3gh05t »

netclectic wrote: If you are hosted then it's probably a linux server, did you understand the bit about setting up a cron job? If so then you can ignore the bit about windows.

I didn't understand the 'cron job'..

I am not sure what that is..

I guess my main question is, do I have to make a batch file and all that for this MOD to work?

th3gh05t

Post by th3gh05t »

Ok. I got it installed and everything.

But the cut off for the feeds is really short. Is there someway that you can configure that, or is that from the feeds themselves?

Edit-

Normal HTML doesn't work when it is posted in phpBB. Is there anyway that it can be transformed into BB code?

Or do I have to enable HMTL in those forums?

Haywood Jahelpme

th3gh05t wrote: Ok. I got it installed and everything.

But the cut off for the feeds is really short. Is there someway that you can configure that, or is that from the feeds themselves?
From the feeds themselves... Poke around and you may find some better ones
th3gh05t wrote: Normal HTML doesn't work when it is posted in phpBB. Is there anyway that it can be transformed into BB code?

Or do I have to enable HMTL in those forums?
You have to enable HTML, I think, but am not sure if this mod will do that... We'll have to wait for the master to weigh in on that one...

PS... this mod is also running on my phpBB

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

No, it doesn't convert html to bbcode. RSS wasn't designed to support html, there are some extnesions becoming available for it now, but basically there shouldn't be html in a basic rss feed. But obviously given the popularity of rss now, some folks just done realise that.

Anyway, one workaround (which i use) is to install the Admin Only BBCode mod and make your newsfeed user an admin.
Defend the game:

th3gh05t

Post by th3gh05t »

Ok. Thanks fo yor reply!

Haywood Jahelpme

netclectic wrote:
Haywood Jahelpme wrote:One question tho, is it possible to input only some of the feeds each time, or does it do all of them by default no matter what?

You can add ?n=1,2,3,4 to the end of the insert url to only grab some of the feeds, where n relates to the id of the feed. So you could split it up into multiple gets if you're having problems with time outs or you could have different cron settings for different feeds.
Thanks that works great. Now I see what you meant by time outs... Some feeds just weren't getting read... This mod is most excellent and I have found some very nice alternative feeds... The mainstream ones just don't fit in with this site... And the glance mod really helps too.

thanks again netclectic! Cheers!

|GM|

Post by |GM| »

Great idea for a mod, but I can't make it work...

The only text I get is:
Completed: successfully:
None

Completed: with problems:
http://slashdot.org/slashdot.rdf

I tried with many rss's, but always I get the same message... I have the debug activated, and have "PHP Version 4.2.2", using a newly installed 'phpBB 2.0.6'...

Any help?
Thanks in advance :)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”