[2.0.6] FIND - Forum Integrated News Delivery - Input

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
62%
Very Good
23%
Good
9%
Fair
2%
Poor
4%

Total votes: 150

imrich

Post by imrich » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:50 pm

Uranium-235 wrote: I found a bug (and fixed it)

sometimes, it will post the same news item twice, I started to realize that each one had something in common.

when putting the topic into the database, you need to convert the string to HTMLEntity (or not reverse convert, I didn't look at all your code). If you don't, topic_already_exists will return false cause it's taking the string directly from the feed, and XML always has it translated.

I fixed it on our forums already by simply htmlentities() it before it gets inserted into the db

Does anyone have more specific details on this 'fix'?

I see the same message coming from different news feeds often.
Rich

Beavis2084

Broken now???

Post by Beavis2084 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:36 pm

It seems that after i updated my forum after the last security update i saw, the thing stopped working... i have 6 crons running this and all stopped generating posts...

help

Beavis2084

jlknauff

Post by jlknauff » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:46 pm

Sorry if this was already posted somewhere in the thread, but is there a working model of this mod in action so that I can see what its results look like?

jlknauff

Re: Broken now???

Post by jlknauff » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:46 pm

Beavis2084 wrote: It seems that after i updated my forum after the last security update i saw, the thing stopped working... i have 6 crons running this and all stopped generating posts...

help

Beavis2084

After the upgrade you have to reinstall all mods from what I understand

NightriderXP

Re: Broken now???

Post by NightriderXP » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:13 pm

jlknauff wrote: After the upgrade you have to reinstall all mods from what I understand

If Beavis only applied the changes in the update from 2.0.10 to 2.0.11, then he probably wouldn't have to reinstall any MODs. The 2.0.11 Security Update was very small...

:!:

saturnprime

Post by saturnprime » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:27 pm

Hey guys, first netclectic, great script...

It's all working fine, no glitches what so ever, having some trouble with Cron tho on a *nix box.

In the text file it says to use:

GET http://www.YOURDOMAIN.com/YOURFORUMS/ne ... hp?n=1,2,3 > /dev/null

So I'm assuming we'd need to use:

* * * * * GET http://www.YOURDOMAIN.com/YOURFORUMS/ne ... hp?n=1,2,3 > /dev/null

if we wanted it to fire every minute (just for testing here) but unless I'm a tool here, there is no news_insert.php in the root of forums? The only one I found was in www.yadayada.com/forum/mods/netclectic/find**** (can't remember the rest, not in front of the machine at the moment)

What am I missing here?

Thanks guys, later

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:00 pm

I have been manually running the Newsfeeds but I would really like to learn how to set up a Cron job to do it. Can anyone explain to me how to do it or point me to a site that explains the process? It really would be nice to update the Newsfeeds every hour or so but right now, I'm only doing it about twice per day...

Thanks in advance for your help...

:?:

Beavis2084

Post by Beavis2084 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:32 am

it's easy to setup cron jobs....

logon to the server using the user that has permissions to the database/forum (not entirely sure if this is nessasary, but i use the user that has control on the sql database for the forum).

enter the following:

Code: Select all

crontab -e
This opens the user's crontab file for editing.

this line:

Code: Select all

22 1 * * 1 /usr/bin/GET http://forum.coleclan.net/mods/netclectic/find_input/news_insert.php?n=1 > /dev/null
...is used to fetch the feeds into the posts....

the syntax is as follows....

# # # # # commandtoexecute

the fields are as follows...
  • minute of the hour, 00 to 59
    hour of the day, 00 to 32 (military time)
    day of the month, 1 to 31
    month of the year, 1 to 12
    day of the week, sun, mon, tue,....
    actual command to execute

an asterisk that matches all possible values,

a single integer that matches that exact value,

a list of integers separated by commas (no spaces)
used to match any one of the values

two integers separated by a dash (a range)
used to match any value within the range.

that should get you started....

Beavis2084

Beavis2084

Post by Beavis2084 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:00 am

NightriderXP....

you were right... i cant remember what version of the update i used, but apparantly all i needed to do was the 2 file edits... all the other addtl files must have still been in place. i re-edited the 2 files, and went to admin panel and pulled a feed - all is a o k.

Thank you a lot!

Beavis2084

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:20 am

Thanks for your great instructions Beavis2084. Unfortunately, I get stuck at the crontab -e command. I receive the error: "CRONTAB not understood". I assume that means that Cron is not installed, but I hope I'm wrong...

If Cron needs to be installed on my domain, where can I get a copy of it? I was hoping that the host would have provided it...

:?:

Beavis2084

Post by Beavis2084 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:11 am

Crontab is a function of *nix - ask your host about that. I assume you have SSH access to the server, if you don't understand what that means, contact your provider and ask them for help setting up a cron job.
most of todays server host guys have a web accessable control panel available to their users. you can probally access something similar and set them up there.

Good Luck!

Bounce back in here if you need further assistance, i am sure there is more and more cluefull ppl here all the time.

Beavis2084

poonalong

Post by poonalong » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:24 am

Fantasic Mod that was very easy to put in.
Does anyone have an alternative to the CRONJOB GET which is in the documentation?

I did have a problem executing the Get .... command on my unix server as well. My solution was to use curl which is installed on my host (its not on many but you can ask them to put on on as well if its not there). If you have curl, the comand to execute in cron is:

curl -u username:password http://www.your_domain.com/your bboard_folder_name/rss.php
FishNFools get hooked @ www.striped-bass-fishing.com

imrich

Post by imrich » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:53 pm

Yes, I've been using curl for a while since wget was disabled on my hosts.
Rich

munzli

Post by munzli » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:18 am

i've got a question, would it be possible to also include the content:items tag? i've got a feed with pictures in that tag and would like to display them!

example: http://www.snowforce.com/news/rss.xml

darkon

Post by darkon » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:07 pm

I installed the MOD and it works fine...

Exceot one "flaw"...

The feed i wish to include into my forum uses the same "title" for a lot of items, and the mod is only posting the last item of every title. :(

In my regular rss-reader the feed works fine and every item is shown....

Is it somehow possible to let him post all items with the same title (and maybe even in the same thread?) without editing the xml-file myself?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”