[2.0.6] Stop Post Count From Increasing

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
50%
Very Good
18%
Good
6%
Fair
6%
Poor
20%

Total votes: 50

FoulFoot

Post by FoulFoot »

This mod doesn't work. Hasn't worked in quite some time. If the mod author does reply, it'll simply be to tell you that it's not his responsibility to fix it, that he doesn't have the time or the inclination, and that you should be happy with the mod in its current state. In my opinion, this mod should be pulled off the database, for both of the reasons stated above.

On a more helpful note, there are currently no mods (that I know of) that correctly alter post counts. Some will prevent a user's individual post count from increasing in certain forums, but many of those mods (including this one) tend to malfunction if a post is moved to a different forum. There are no mods which correctly adjust the total forum post count -- i.e., if you have hidden forums, it's very easy to tell that there *are* hidden forums, because the post counts won't add up.

Foul
northerncountry

Post by northerncountry »

Well Isn't this just lovely. Talk about leaving garbage laying around the house.

Hey FoulFoot you metioned that there are other hacks like this out there. Perhaps you can point me to one. I don't care about the malfunction about moving posts. This won't affect me because I have the News feed hack installed and I have a fake user set up that all the news feed posts get posted from so therefore I don't want this users post count to increase and these posts will never be moved. They are automatically pruned everyday.

Thanks
FoulFoot

Post by FoulFoot »

Off the top of my head, there's this one:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=189069

Though it's in Beta stage, and hasn't been updated in a while. I would swear that there's another mod out there, but I can't find it atm (it's been about two years since I played around with these mods).

Foul
northerncountry

Post by northerncountry »

Thanks< I will try it
furion111

Post by furion111 »

Help! I have installed that mod very correctly, but if i post on this forum(that have no increasing) , it still increases posts!! What i must do?
Ex0dus

Post by Ex0dus »

This mod works properly in 2.0.18.

I have one forum where post counts do not increase and when i post they do not increase. I move it to a forum with post counts increasing and it adjusts my post count accordingly.

I can move another post i put in a forum with post count increasing to the forum with no post count increasing and it adjusts my post count accordingly.

Thus Im thinking theres 1 of 2 things going on:

Either 1:

You didnt install the mod properly

or 2:

You have not set up your forum properly (as to which disable post counts and which do).

Please do not bad mouth mod authors for not updating their mods. If they dont want to update it, then they dont have to. If you want it updated and they wont do it, find someone who can.

-Ex0dus
FoulFoot

Post by FoulFoot »

Actually, this mod *doesn't* work properly in 2.0.18. It also doesn't work properly in previous versions, back to 2.0.4 or so. I'm sure there are *elements* of this mod that do work, but it does not work properly as advertised.

If a mod author doesn't wish to update his mod to make it functional, than he certainly doesn't have to. But I think the mod should also be removed from the mod database, or at the very least, placed back in the Beta forum. The users of this particular forum have a reasonable expectation that the mods found here will work.

Lastly, the reason I have absolutely no patience for this particular thread is that the mod author has made several lengthy posts here, all of which are extremely unhelpful and rude. I suggest you read the last six pages or so to get a sense of what I'm talking about, and then perhaps decide whether this is an author worth defending.

Foul
Ex0dus

Post by Ex0dus »

Im not going to claim that I know the mod author, nor do i care what personal stuff people have between him, but the point is that his mod does work and works in its entirety.

Regardless of how mod authors act, they put alot of work into their mods to ensure that they work properly, so whether people like him or not, they should have respect for his work.

There should also be some common sense on the mod users end, the prefix in front of the mod name means that it was tested on that specific version of phpBB. If it doesnt say the same version as the latest version of phpbb and you arent willing to adapt or willing to take the chance of something not working, then dont use it. Simple as that.

I just dont appreciate when users call an authors work trash when it doesnt do everything they expect. People put hard work into making things for users (and for free no less) so dont knock the author.

-Ex0dus
HipHopBoard

Post by HipHopBoard »

Can someone make this work with CH 2.1.4 ?
X-Ray

Post by X-Ray »

i know this was probably listed around here somewhere and i would like to know what i did wrong
i run 2.0.17 and when i uncheck the box to make it disable post count on a forum i get this error message

Couldn't update forum information

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'forum_postcount' in 'field list'

UPDATE phpbb_forums SET forum_name = 'SPAMTOPIA!!', cat_id = 7, forum_desc = 'Yeppers', forum_status = 0, prune_enable = 0 , forum_postcount = 0 WHERE forum_id = 15

Line : 439
File : admin_forums.php

someone please help me :D
it would be much appreciated
Ex0dus

Post by Ex0dus »

More than likely you didnt run the necessary changes on the database. Check the install instructions for either a update file or install file or sql instructions to run in the mod's install instructions file ^_^

-Ex0dus
X-Ray

Post by X-Ray »

obviously thats not the problem because i went back and ran the sql install again and it said that the sql entries were already there
kralco626

Post by kralco626 »

question, what is the whole forum id number thing, it says i need to select forums by their id number...

how do i get this id number?
kralco626

Post by kralco626 »

please help :)
X-Ray

Post by X-Ray »

kralco626 wrote: question, what is the whole forum id number thing, it says i need to select forums by their id number...

how do i get this id number?

start from the topic at the top and number it 1 inside your head
and count down all the topics

like this

Main
Introductions (1)
Information (2)

Jabber
General Discussion (3)

got it?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”