[2.0.7] Printer-friendly topic mod

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
45%
Very Good
25%
Good
10%
Fair
8%
Poor
11%

Total votes: 106

Svyatozar

Post by Svyatozar »

Hello!

I will answer several questions in one message.
Tresclub wrote: I am running php 2.0.6, and just installed printer_topic_1.0.7.
It appears to work fine, but I'm not sure what the numbers in the three boxes are supposed to represent.

Warren

If you installed mod correctly, the explanation should be in the faq section of the mod. The first box is the number of the first message to be printed. The second box is the number of the last message to be printed. Every message has a number to the left. If the topic is separated into pages by phpBB you can remove pagination by clicking on :||: you can also set a number of messages to print by typing a negative value into the second box. The button O_o is just a "Go" button to reload the page with new settings. You can replace it with the word "Go" in your installation. I just picked that symbol to make this mod international. If you have other suggestions, please tell me.

to grrad: can you please send me a link so I can see what happens? It might be a question of changing one line of code.

to James Cridland:
Actually, this mod has its own cascading style sheet. And it uses its own template which makes it totally theme-independent. On top of that, this mod removes signatures, users' faces, tables, theme's graphical elements, which is not possible to do by a simple replacing of CSS. This mod also allows to remove pagination, or to create a custom pagination by specifying the range of messages to be printed. This mod may conflict with other mods, but I have little control over that. Some say this mod is not very intuitive in terms of user interface. I am working on that right now. Apart from that I have received very few negative feedback so far.
wirewolf

Added a few little extras to help users..

Post by wirewolf »

Svyatozar,
I added a few little extras on the printertopic_body.tpl and wrote a little htm miniwindow with a java script link on printertopic_body.tpl
The best way to explain this is to just follow this link:
http://shipmodeling.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... viewresult
This way the users can view the instructions right there on the spot, rather then work their way back to the FAQ page.
Also made printer view to a "_blank" window with a java "close window" script link.
Some of my users said they prefered this.
Check it out. May be you would like to include these options in future versions.
wirewolf

ps: by the way,your Mod works very nicely. Thank you!
grrad

Post by grrad »

Svyatozar,

Actually I removed your mod, so I have no link to send you. It did look great though. Moby makes extensive changes to the viewtopic and posting php files and adds a viewtopic_threaded.tpl in addition to the
viewtopic_body.tpl---I couldnt even begin to sort out where the conflicts
with your mod occur...my skills aren't up to it. Later I tried to use Easymod to attempt to learn what was going wrong (I hand-edited originally)...but it failed to install when it came to those php files. It would be nice if it was only a single line that needed to be changed.

I'm well aware that people can copy and paste into a W P programme, and all that, but I thought it would be nice to make it easy for the less than knowledgeable---and we have quite a few--- to have a simple one click solution right on the page.

Incidentally we're running a heavily modified version of the old WWWBoard (since 1996)...I have learned in this time what our users
are looking for, so the switch over to phpbb will be something of
an improvement---if I do it right. The failed install of "printer friendly" is the only wall I've come up against so far.

CSS works pretty well---a few snags I havent solved yet...I have so far failed to lose the graphics and buttons, and my definition of printer friendly means all text---black on white.
Svyatozar

Re: Added a few little extras to help users..

Post by Svyatozar »

Hello!

to everyone: Please tell me which mods don't have conflicts so I can make a list of compatible mods.
wirewolf wrote: Check it out. May be you would like to include these options in future versions.

I like your modifications. One thing is unclear though: did you remove all the css altogether? The result is nice and the size of the page is reduced considerably. You should have kept the time zone info though :wink:
grrad wrote: The failed install of "printer friendly" is the only wall I've come up against so far.

If css works well for you - stick to it for now. I heard, Printer-friendly capability comes with phpBB 2.2 so just wait till it comes out. I don't want to spend a lot of time on this mod for that reason.

Have fun modding, everyone!
redbox

Post by redbox »

I'm having a problem with this mod because I'm also using the mod_rewrite mod. When I view the printer friendly view, it generates an error at the bottom:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: replace_for_mod_rewrite() in /home/domain/public_html/includes/page_tail.php on line 51

Does anyone know how to fix this?
redbox

Post by redbox »

I'm having a problem with this mod because I'm also using the mod_rewrite mod. When I view the printer friendly view, it generates an error at the bottom:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: replace_for_mod_rewrite() in /home/domain/public_html/includes/page_tail.php on line 51

Does anyone know how to fix this?
wirewolf

Re: Added a few little extras to help users..

Post by wirewolf »

Svyatozar wrote:
I like your modifications. One thing is unclear though: did you remove all the css altogether?

Thanks,
I didn't touch the css. Time Zone? I'll have to recheck my installation, but I didn't remove that. Where is it suppost to be?
Tresclub

Post by Tresclub »

James, Thanks a lot for that link. Just wondering, where do you put that script?

Warren
wirewolf

CSS or the Mod?

Post by wirewolf »

The only problem I see with using the CSS method is it is dependant on which browser is in use. I tried it with IE, MSN, Netscape and Opera, and the config was a little different with each one. And it does not eliminate all of the graphics.
What if you're viewing a whole page with ten messages. How do you print out just the ones you want with the CSS method?
This Mod seems to overcome any browser reconfiguration. Plus you can select the exact message you want to print out.
The printer friendly Mod configured the same with each browser.
To each his own.
wirewolf
James Cridland

Post by James Cridland »

wirewolf - indeed. I ought to point out that I only primarily author for Mozilla and MSIE v6 since they are 99% of my traffic (across a lot of sites).

The CSS system seems to work well, but you're right, it still prints the entire page.
wirewolf

See what you mean...

Post by wirewolf »

James,
Sometimes we tend to overwork our sites in order to make them more user friendly. I wish IE, MSN, Netscape/AOL, Opera, et al would agree to come up with a common configuration of browser viewing. I use Frontpage to edit my HTML files, and I have to check them out in the different browsers to make sure they look good. I generaly configure for IE and MSN (same thing) because they seem to have the lions' share. But some of my members use AOL/ Netscape or worse - Opera. I get so tired of them changing fonts and sizes, restructuring tables, etc. You know what I mean. The page will look great in IE, but looks terrible in Netscape.
Like I said in a past post, some of my members say they just highlight the text they want , copy/save to wordpad and print it out. Sometimes simple is best.
Have a Good and website hassle free New Year!
wirewolf
Svyatozar

Post by Svyatozar »

I have made a little web site and demo forum for this mod.
Please visit this mod's new official home page:
http://wiking.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/wa ... yTopicView

Regards,

Svyatozar.
stevemagruder

Post by stevemagruder »

Svyatozar wrote: On top of that, this mod removes signatures,

This looks like a great mod, but I have a case where I need the signatures to print out. I append a global sig (with a copyright statement) to the users's sig (even if they don't have one) to each post. Since copyright is being indicated, I think that it would make sense to include the entire sig, as I think it's normally considered a part of the whole message, even if it usually provides useless info.

Could the mod be designed to give the modding developer a branch choice as to whether signatures are removed?
Steve Magruder - WebCommons :: Media
Administrator for the Louisville History & Issues discussion board
Tom_S

Post by Tom_S »

Who has this working on their site? I have the working version on mine but I would like to see this one in action before I mess with my files for it.
I went back in Time...
Svyatozar

Post by Svyatozar »

:arrow: There is new version 1.0.8 coming out soon. Test version is available here:
http://wiking.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/pr ... .8test.zip
stevemagruder wrote:
Svyatozar wrote:On top of that, this mod removes signatures,

Could the mod be designed to give the modding developer a branch choice as to whether signatures are removed?

You have come to the right place with this question. Just open printertopic_body.tpl and add {postrow.SIGNATURE} after {postrow.EDITED_MESSAGE}
Good luck!

To Tom_S: I have a demo forum especially created to test the latest development version of this mod. Please go to http://wiking.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/index.php and leave comments.

Best regards!

Svyatozar

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”