[2.0.6] Per-User Avatar/Sig Disable

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
44%
Very Good
26%
Good
9%
Fair
9%
Poor
12%

Total votes: 34

ebouchez

Post by ebouchez »

Does this one work with 2.0.13 ?

Don't know for 2.0.13 but this mod doesn't work for 2.0.15. The posts become unreadable with avatars everywhere. This mod needs to be updated for a 2.0.15. It worked very well with previous versions.
Warborn

Post by Warborn »

odd, I went over the mod and 2.0.15 files line by line and there is nothing that is different from earlier versions as relates to this mod... that said I have not tried to install it on 2.0.15 yet, will try later and post the results..

can anyone else confirm this mod is working (or not working) with 2.0.15?

tx
Warborn

Post by Warborn »

Installed on 2.0.15

Mod works perfectly.
der Panter

Post by der Panter »

doesn't work for 2.0.15 and 2.0.13 :( ...
Warborn

Post by Warborn »

as I said it works perfectly on 2.0.15. Read this thread and Mod, follow the instructions, pay attention to detail. Thats it.
ebouchez

Post by ebouchez »

Warborn wrote: as I said it works perfectly on 2.0.15. Read this thread and Mod, follow the instructions, pay attention to detail. Thats it.

No, if you download this mod now and try to install it on a brand new 2.0.15 it will not work. All the avatars will be displayed on one single column at the begining of every thread and no more text in the posts. I use easymod to install it so no possible error installing it. It used to work very well with my previous versions but not with 2.0.15.
Warborn

Post by Warborn »

ebouchez wrote: I use easymod to install it so no possible error installing it.

Read the small print in the second post of this thread, then read the thread.
jay98s10

Post by jay98s10 »

hey im running phpbb 2.0.7 mod is installed and works perfect but one problem i have is that everything about the author of the post is not there it says thier name and that is it if you could tell me were the mistake is that would be great

Jay

Edit** fixed it thanks
Phanx

Post by Phanx »

I just installed this on 2.0.15 and it seems to be working fine except for one rather large problem:

When the user selects "Yes" to show avatars and/or signatures, they will only show up on the last post in a thread, and are hidden on all other posts in the thread.

Anyone else have this problem, or have any ideas how to fix it?
Warborn

Post by Warborn »

does user have cookies enabled? instruct user to close browser, delete cookies/internet tempfiles/history, open browser.
Phanx

Post by Phanx »

Considering the user on my test board is... me... yes, the user has cookies enabled. ;) I tried refreshing the page (the change showed up on refresh after I uploaded the modded files), I tried logging out and logging back in, I tried viewing it from an entirely different browser. The problem wasn't in the browser - the avatars/signatures for all posts but the last one in the thread weren't in the source code when viewed from either browser (Opera and Firefox).

I've actually just given up on this mod, having found one that works and even has an extra option (to show signatures, but not images in signatures) that this one doesn't have. The one I'm using can be found here: http://www.phpbbhacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9331 if anyone else is having trouble getting this one working.
Wiizard Of Odd

Post by Wiizard Of Odd »

Warborn wrote: as I said it works perfectly on 2.0.15. Read this thread and Mod, follow the instructions, pay attention to detail. Thats it.

Works for you maybe, not for me though.

I've read this whole thread and it doesn't work.

Installed by hand, and at first it seemed ok. But when I selected to turn off avatars and sigs only half the sigs vanished, and all the avatars. BUT - now the avatars wont come back on! No matter what I choose!!!

Any ideas? Thanks.
Phanx

Post by Phanx »

Wiizard -

Check the phpbb_users table in your database and look at the value of user_showavatars - it should be 1 if you want avatars to display.

If you just want avatars to show up no matter what option is selected, open your viewtopic.tpl template and remove the <!-- BEGIN switch_showavatars --> and <!-- END switch_showavatars --> switches.

You might try the similar hack I linked in the post above yours; it does the same thing and then some, but actually worked as advertised on 2.0.15, and is more efficient since it checks to see if the user wants to show avatars/signatures in viewtopic.php (and doesn't do all the censored word checking and new line replacement if they don't!) instead of adding more switches to be processed in the template. I installed it by hand and it works flawlessly.
stormlifter

Post by stormlifter »

Question is can you set it so only the admin can define an avatar and then the user can't change it!?!

That would be great... I would like to have avatars for Spammers/Trolls
Phanx

Post by Phanx »

stormlifter wrote: Question is can you set it so only the admin can define an avatar and then the user can't change it!?!

That would be great... I would like to have avatars for Spammers/Trolls

No, this mod (and the similar one I'm using) aren't intended to give any extra admin control over user avatars. It's only meant for users to be able to choose whether or not to have avatars displayed on topics.

In your case - why not just ban the spammer and obviate the need for him/her to have an avatar? If the user is banned you can give them whatever avatar you'd like and they can't change it.

If banning isn't an option for you, and you can't find a mod to do this, I could see about writing one. It doesn't sound like it would be too complicated. Feel free to send me a PM with a detailed description of what you're looking for, and I'll see what I can do!

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”