[2.0.6] RSS Content Syndicator

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
64%
Very Good
22%
Good
7%
Fair
3%
Poor
4%

Total votes: 185

nschindler

Post by nschindler » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:39 pm

sw2000 wrote: I tried both files again just in case...and not even the error changes.

At the moment the 2nd suggestion is uploaded, so you can see yourself that the error is the same as in the screenshot. Weird.

Actually, the less obvious problem was fixed by what I sent you: The dashes are no longer breaking the feed.

I just sent you another suggestion to fix the amlaut.
Not all those who wander are lost.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

sw2000

Post by sw2000 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:50 pm

File replaced. No visible change yet.

Admin @ Talo

nschindler

Post by nschindler » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:56 pm

sw2000 wrote: File replaced. No visible change yet.

Sending one more attempt before I start setting up a phpBB site.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Vramin

Post by Vramin » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:54 pm

Is it possible that the file being executed is not the one you think is being executed? Have you put in obvious syntax errors, echos, or exits to confirm that your changes are being made in the right place?

I only ask because most of the time that I run into a really weird problem, it's either in my data and not my code, or I'm looking in the wrong place. If you're editing the file and nothing is changing, then it's possible the web server is not using the file that you're editing.
A more relaxed place to discuss your favorite MMO's

nschindler

Post by nschindler » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:16 pm

Vramin wrote: Is it possible that the file being executed is not the one you think is being executed? Have you put in obvious syntax errors, echos, or exits to confirm that your changes are being made in the right place?

I only ask because most of the time that I run into a really weird problem, it's either in my data and not my code, or I'm looking in the wrong place. If you're editing the file and nothing is changing, then it's possible the web server is not using the file that you're editing.

Fortunately with this, the only file I should have to worry about is rss.php.
You're correct in that I don't really know the state of the text when rss.php gets it. Is it html or entity-encoded?
Part of what rss.php does is run the data through a series of conversions in order to get the data into an RSS-compatible state.

With this issue, specifically, the amlaut could be in one of three forms when rss.php sees it, and I want it to end up in a fourth form.
So, what I did in my last effort, which hasn't been responded to yet, is convert the data three different ways.

Another problem is that I use the "htmlspecialchars()" function a couple of times, and I'm not entirely sure I put my changes in the proper place, EXCEPT that the dashes problem went away.
If that part worked, then I'm assuming (which I don't like doing) that in my previous attempt, my code to convert the amlaut was incorrect, which is why I've now included code to convert the amlaut from its other two possible forms.

If the last copy of rss.php I sent doesn't fix the issue, I'm going to have to set up phpBB and do this "right".

Currently, rss.php has very little error-handling of its own.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

sw2000

Post by sw2000 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:39 am

Nope. Still same error.

It looks as if nothing changes at all. Though I have no idea what actually is going on within that file.

:?

Admin @ Talo

nschindler

Post by nschindler » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:48 am

sw2000 wrote: Nope. Still same error.

It looks as if nothing changes at all. Though I have no idea what actually is going on within that file.

:?

K. I'm setting up a board to play with it.
Note to self: LEARN PHP! ;)
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Vramin

Post by Vramin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:33 pm

Just to reiterate, my feed seems to handle the amlaut fine. We need to understand the difference between the boards, or identify where the misdirection is occurring.
A more relaxed place to discuss your favorite MMO's

sw2000

Post by sw2000 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:42 am

Now the error pages looks slightly different, though still not working.

Just to let you know, in case this change could give some extra clues to where the problem is.

http://talo.sw2000.net/rss.php

edit:And it's back to same old. the difference for a while was that its displayed the newest topics title and only after that the current Lähetetty:-mess

Admin @ Talo

robert_b

Post by robert_b » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:45 am

Anyone know if this excellent mod works with Firefox's "Live Bookmarks"?

The mod seems to be working great via my standalone aggregator (Blog Navigator), and works flawlessly with a Firefox RSS plugin called SAGE, albeit with SAGE I had to manually insert the link to the myboard/rss.php file because SAGE did not detect a feed available at my board (perhaps it's looking for an XML file, I don't know, but it works fine after I manually entered the link to rss.php). Firefox has a "Live Bookmark" feature that also detects available feeds but it doesn't detect the feed at my board. And when I try to manually enter the link to the rss.php file, then of course it displays the XML, not the rendered content.

So I was just wondering if anyone has had success getting Firefox to display the feed as a Live Bookmark.

TIA,
Bob

p.s. Thank you for this mod or add-on, I love it!

tomythius

Sure does

Post by tomythius » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:51 pm

If you place the following code in the overall header template file firefox will detect the feed:

Code: Select all

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Title of the RSS feed" href="http://yoursite/phpbb2/rss.php">
You'll need to adjust the title and URI.
Check it against my site if you like, look in the source (Ctrl+U in FFx) to see how I've used it.
Tom says so, QED.

robert_b

Post by robert_b » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:56 pm

Outstanding! Works perfectly. Thanks so much.

Bob

makenzie

Post by makenzie » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:08 am

sw2000 wrote: Now the error pages looks slightly different, though still not working.
Just to let you know, in case this change could give some extra clues to where the problem is.
http://talo.sw2000.net/rss.php
edit:And it's back to same old. the difference for a while was that its displayed the newest topics title and only after that the current L&auml;hetetty:-mess

I have a same problem on my forum, then I update newest Finnish language files from phpbb.com and problem was solved. Just try it.
Make

sw2000

Post by sw2000 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:58 am

makenzie wrote: I have a same problem on my forum, then I update newest Finnish language files from phpbb.com and problem was solved. Just try it.

OOOH!! Nice to hear. I'll try that.

Though I have translated all installed mods myself, so I need to add the missing new lines first. I'll report back on how it goes. 8)

PS. For a quick test I did replace all the codes marking letter ä and ö to actual letters in the language_main and did a test post with those characters. No errors. Weird.

Admin @ Talo

ankn

Post by ankn » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:12 am

I have a problem where i want a private forum to be syndicated as well.
My board went down and i didn't write down the mod i used to get the rss working from the private forum , is there any way i can make that work with this mod ?
Been searching through the forum but haven't found any answer.
Any help is appreciated.

/AnKn

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”