[2.0.6] RSS Content Syndicator

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
64%
Very Good
22%
Good
7%
Fair
3%
Poor
4%

Total votes: 185

bwells

Post by bwells »

Hey wat sup, i'm new to this..i was a few questions. If possible you can tell me the answer or give me the link:

1) Just to clarify, this mod updats every time a new post is made in the whole board?

1a) Am I able to make updates based on user groups? For example if a user groups only see certain forums can that rss be updated only for those forums and not the whole forum?

2) How do I get that Rss logo on my page. I tried to add the code in but it didn't work.

nosha

Links

Post by nosha »

Awesome mod. Installed it no problemo. The posters user name in the feed links to their user profile, in a new window.

Is it possible to open all links in a new window? Specifically, the Forum name?

Thank you. :)

Francisck

help?

Post by Francisck »

i will install this but how do you set up a rss feed?

KODave

Post by KODave »

Hi. Im fairly new at PHP. I understand how to do includes on pages, I managed to install this script and get it running fine. Where I am lost is when it comes to php aggregators for displaying the RSS feeds on a website.

I'm looking to have some flexibility on my website where it links to writer's contributions in certain forums, as well as using the forums as a way for myself and other people to make announcements on the main page of my website. I know how to make this script work for different forums and stuff like that.

What I need to find is basically a php aggregator that will work with this mod, that is easy to install (preferably with understandable installation instructions), that will let me do includes where I can have just links posts from an RSS feed from one forum, but also display the full posts of other forums from another RSS feed all on the same page. Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction regarding this? Thank you very much.

MisterDominator

Post by MisterDominator »

it looks like my RSS feed is bypassing my swear filter... anyone else experience this or know a fix?

tanx

MisterDominator

Post by MisterDominator »

*bump* anyone? anyone?

zishan

Hi my Rss feed does not show up?

Post by zishan »

Hi I installed the rss feed as per the instructions, placing the rss.php in the root directory and rss.tpl in the templates and all.
Am I suppose to do something else as well?
Where would this rss feed show up?
Thanks
Zishan

EvilArcana

Post by EvilArcana »

KODave wrote: Hi. Im fairly new at PHP. I understand how to do includes on pages, I managed to install this script and get it running fine. Where I am lost is when it comes to php aggregators for displaying the RSS feeds on a website.

I'm looking to have some flexibility on my website where it links to writer's contributions in certain forums, as well as using the forums as a way for myself and other people to make announcements on the main page of my website. I know how to make this script work for different forums and stuff like that.

What I need to find is basically a php aggregator that will work with this mod, that is easy to install (preferably with understandable installation instructions), that will let me do includes where I can have just links posts from an RSS feed from one forum, but also display the full posts of other forums from another RSS feed all on the same page. Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction regarding this? Thank you very much.

I used Magpie RSS which can be found over at sourceforge.net. Its a simple rss feed parser and comes with sample code to utilize it. I used it to create a news syndication out of my news forum. since the rss mod has the ability for you to specify which forum, how many posts, etc...I used that and passed the url to magpie to parse and display.

zishan

Question on RSS Feed

Post by zishan »

Does anyone know or have done this:
I saw a forum that accepted rss feeds. There was a texbox that people when they sign up to the forum they can place in there RSS feed into that box. Then within the forum users can view or download the video or cast.
I saw it on http://www.podcastingnews.com/
Please let me know
Thanks
Zishan

EvilArcana

Post by EvilArcana »

I think I found a bug.

I posted a news post and chose NOT to post my signature to the posting. Yet the RSS feed includes the signature...Is the code that checks for signature not included in this mod?

ohlookitspaul

Post by ohlookitspaul »

Hi, I had a couple of questions about this. First off, is there a way to make it so that links from the RSS will go to the thread's url, not the post's url? (http://www.hatesomethingbeautiful.com/c ... hp?f=1&t=1 is my rss feed, i made it so that it's only one forum and hopefully only threads) also, can i make it so that it doesn't say the author, subject, posted, topic replies, etc? I just want it to say what's in the message in the description part.

wirelessmac

Post by wirelessmac »

How do you actually reduce the number of lines from each topic that is returned. I have tried;

http://www.mydomain.com/phpbb/rss.php?t=1

but it returns the full content of the topic?

Is t=1 for "start of topic" not what I should be using??????

Gazzer

Post by Gazzer »

Hello.

Can someone explain what file(s) i need to change to allow a user of the forum to click a forum category feed and only show articles from that category.

Something to do with rss.php=?f=1 as an extension?

wirelessmac

Post by wirelessmac »

Gazzer wrote: Hello.

Can someone explain what file(s) i need to change to allow a user of the forum to click a forum category feed and only show articles from that category.

Something to do with rss.php=?f=1 as an extension?

You don't change any files you change the link that you provide which includes the rss.php=?f=1 bit.

kallen74

Post by kallen74 »

Hi--

I've tried to install and use this MOD. I ftp-ed the rss.php file into the forum directory and then I ftp-ed rss_body.tpl into templates/subSilver/ area. I actually put it in all my templates at the same level.

Now, if I run enter the URL path to the rss.php file, I do get an XML file that looks right to me with
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
. But there is nothing on my forum site that suggests that there is an RSS feed available. How do I put something on the forum to let people know there is a feed? I use Firefox to subscribe to RSS feeds. Usually the orange box image shows up on the right side of the URL or in the bottom right corner. That doesn't happen with this MOD. Any advice?

Thanks.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”