[2.0.6] RSS Content Syndicator

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
64%
Very Good
22%
Good
7%
Fair
3%
Poor
4%

Total votes: 185

Panama Jack

Post by Panama Jack »

Why in the world is your version of phpBB2 outputting...

Code: Select all

<!-- template ./templates/Helius/rss_body.tpl start -->
Have you installed some mod that put an HTML comment at the beginning of what it sends indicating the template that was used to generate the page? Because that is not NORMAL for phpBB2 and has to be caused by some mod you have installed. You need to remove that or your RSS will never work properly.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Panama Jack wrote: Why in the world is your version of phpBB2 outputting...

<!-- template ./templates/Helius/rss_body.tpl start -->
Have you installed some mod that put an HTML comment at the beginning of what it sends indicating the template that was used to generate the page? Because that is not NORMAL for phpBB2 and has to be caused by some mod you have installed. You need to remove that or your RSS will never work properly.

LOL Thanks for the input Panama Jack. If I knew why suddenly the RSS feed is trying to include the link you provided above and if I knew how to fix it, I would have done so a while ago. There are only 2 files in this MOD and neither has been modified. This used to work on my board, so I have no clue what has changed that could alter the behavior of this MOD...

I have asked for help twice in this topic but I have yet to hear anything from anyone on how to correct this problem. I was hoping that the MOD author would have a clue of what to try or do. I am very patient, but I'm beginning to believe that no one has the answer...

:roll:

Panama Jack

Post by Panama Jack »

The reason is because the RSS Mod is not causing this problem.

You have installed ANOTHER mod that is causing that line to be included. That line is being included on every single page generated by your forums. Stop looking at the TSS Mod and start looking an other things you have added because I can guarantee you that the RSS Mod is not adding that line. And just from looking at your site you do have a number of other mods installed so I would start looking at them and asking the authors of those mods if they are adding that line.

The following lines from your forums index page are not normally added by phpBB2 but are being added by some mod you have installed and it isn't the RSS Mod.

<!-- template ./templates/Helius/overall_header.tpl start --><!-- mod : calendar -->

<!-- template ./templates/Helius/qbar_qmenus.tpl start -->

<!-- template ./templates/Helius/qbar_qmenus.tpl end -->

<!-- template ./templates/Helius/calendar_box.tpl start -->

<!-- template ./templates/Helius/calendar_box.tpl end -->

<!-- template ./templates/Helius/overall_header.tpl end -->

<!-- template ./templates/Helius/index_body.tpl start -->

<!-- template ./templates/Helius/index_body.tpl end -->

<!-- template ./templates/Helius/overall_footer.tpl start -->

<!-- template ./templates/Helius/qbar_qbars.tpl start -->

<!-- template ./templates/Helius/qbar_qbars.tpl end -->

<!-- template ./templates/Helius/overall_footer.tpl end -->
Those are not normal and you have a mod adding them and that is causing your RSS problem. Get rid of that code that was probablt added to your template engine and then the RSS will work properly.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Panama Jack wrote: And just from looking at your site you do have a number of other mods installed so I would start looking at them and asking the authors of those mods if they are adding that line.

LOL That sounds like a reasonable suggestion on paper. But here is my problem. I have installed 720 MODs on my board. I'm not going to be able to ask each and every MOD author whether their MOD is adding this line to all of my template bodies. I need a clue of where to begin my search for this needle in a haystack. I am not a php programmer, but I am a Delphi programmer, so I have enough skills to fix something if I have a pretty good idea of where to look for the problem...

I never once believed that the RSS MOD was to blame for this since there are only 2 files in the MOD and neither has been modified. The RSS functionality worked at some time in the distant past too. What I would hope to find out is where to look for something that would be adding this comment. Since it only seems to be adversely affecting this one MOD out of 720, this seems to be the best place to begin my search...

Since this also seems to be affecting other people who are using this MOD as well, it would be nice if we could find the answer in order to help others with the same problem...

:lol:

Mistainu

Post by Mistainu »

hey er why is every1 addressing every1 but me? *hmpf* anwyay yeah i think that including of that tag may be the problem...perhaps a mod called "Extreme Styles" ? i'm using that n thinking about it perhaps THAT'S THE ONE! i'll uninstall taht mod n post my results here!^^

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Mistainu wrote: hey er why is every1 addressing every1 but me? *hmpf* anwyay yeah i think that including of that tag may be the problem...perhaps a mod called "Extreme Styles" ? i'm using that n thinking about it perhaps THAT'S THE ONE! i'll uninstall taht mod n post my results here!^^

I'm using Extreme Styles too, but I think I had this MOD working after I installed it. I may be wrong though. I will have to look into it and see if I can find that needle in this haystack and figure out a way around it. I will let you know if I can find something in Extreme Styles that might cause something like this. At least this gives me a place to start looking...

Mistainu

Post by Mistainu »

um hey it very well night be. the latest XS_mod allows <!--PHP--> tags to become <? PHP !!! well? perhaps this makes the... <!-- template ./templates/Helius/overall_header.tpl start --> become... <? template ... LMAO! i dunno but just a wild guess...i'm leaving my spoilt RSS feed on-site anwyay...n "fix" it later =P

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

It is very possible that the ExtremeStyles mod is doing this. I would never have thought of it since I installed that MOD real early, long before I installed most of my MODs. It is possible that the RSS MOD has been broken all along and no one bothered to complain. That wouldn't surprise me either...

I'm searching through the ExtremeStyles MOD right now trying to find anything that even remotely looks like it could be adding this line to the top of each body file. If I discover anything, I will be sure to let you know what I found and if I can figure out a workaround for the problem...

Mistainu

Post by Mistainu »

yay! thx man! i'm no phpbb mod/mod pro.. +_+ but sure plz help! cuz i wanna have a RSS! i've seen many phpbb sites have it so i'm jealous =P

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Mistainu wrote: yay! thx man! i'm no phpbb mod/mod pro.. +_+ but sure plz help! cuz i wanna have a RSS! i've seen many phpbb sites have it so i'm jealous =P

Ok, I have a fix for the problem. Go into Configuration for the eXtreme Styles in your ACP and turn the Comments to NO. Press Submit and you should be good to go. It works for me...

Mistainu

Post by Mistainu »

omg...it was THAT? wowowowowowowowow!!! u're the best man! hey i think u shud email it to the modder so he can include it with his RSS mod's install file under "warning" LOL but hey u're great...=P

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

There are probably a lot of people using eXtreme Styles so that might be a nice warning to include in the next update of the RSS MOD. Since this is the first MOD I have seen that is broken by that comment, it would be nice to know ahead of time to turn it off in the ACP...

I'm just happy to have a workaround to the problem now without too much fuss. I have 721 MODs installed on my board now, so I may have never found the solution if you hadn't directed me to look at the eXtreme Styles MOD. It seems like we helped each other to resolve this one. Yahooo!!!

kjcdude

Post by kjcdude »

Panama Jack wrote: You need to go into the Admin area of your forums and select Configuration under General Admin.

Now change your Admin Email Address from

"The OC Sucks" <Admin@theocsucks.com>
to

Admin@theocsucks.com
This will fix your problem.

You the man

I ended up just changing it in my rss.php

Thanks

Mark_the_accountant

Post by Mark_the_accountant »

Nice mod

I have 66 forums of which there was only 1 that I don't want to put into RSS.

To tidy things up I altered the code to:

$forum_id = ( isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['f']) ) ? intval($HTTP_GET_VARS['f']) : 1;
$sql_forum_where = ( !empty($forum_id) ) ? ' AND f.forum_id NOT  IN (66)': ' ';
The first line defaults in the value f of 1 - therefore resulting in the url not having to have a ?f=

The second line ensure that f is not 66

Hope this helps someone.

I'm now off to read all through this post again to alter the format of the feed!

Regards

Mark

AlexFred

Using RSS with Oracle

Post by AlexFred »

When I tried this, I got:

Could not query list of active posts

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 907 ORA-00907: missing right parenthesis

SELECT f.forum_name, t.topic_title, u.user_id, u.username, u.user_sig, u.user_sig_bbcode_uid, p.post_id, pt.post_text, pt.post_subject, pt.bbcode_uid, p.post_time, t.topic_replies, t.topic_first_post_id FROM phpbb_forums AS f, phpbb_topics AS t, phpbb_users AS u, phpbb_posts AS p, phpbb_posts_text_clob as pt WHERE t.forum_id = f.forum_id AND f.auth_view = 0 AND p.poster_id = u.user_id AND pt.post_id = p.post_id AND p.topic_id = t.topic_id ORDER BY p.post_time DESC LIMIT 15

Line : 168
File : rss.php
I think this is because I'm using an Oracle database. I got it working by removing all the 'AS' keywords from the query:

$sql = "SELECT f.forum_name, t.topic_title, u.user_id, u.username, u.user_sig, u.user_sig_bbcode_uid, p.post_id, pt.post_text, pt.post_subject, pt.bbcode_uid, p.post_time, t.topic_replies, t.topic_first_post_id
        FROM " . FORUMS_TABLE . " f, " . TOPICS_TABLE . " t, " . USERS_TABLE . " u, " . POSTS_TABLE . " p, " . POSTS_TEXT_TABLE . " pt
        WHERE
                t.forum_id = f.forum_id 
                        AND f.auth_view = " . AUTH_ALL . "
                        AND p.poster_id = u.user_id
                        AND pt.post_id = p.post_id
                        AND p.topic_id = t.topic_id
                        $sql_topics_only_where
                        $sql_forum_where
        ORDER BY p.post_time DESC LIMIT $count";
Hope this is useful to someone...

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”