[2.0.15] Latest active topics on index

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
54%
Very Good
28%
Good
10%
Fair
5%
Poor
3%

Total votes: 147

flieger

Re: [2.0.15] Latest active topics on index

Post by flieger »

going to bump this....can anyone help me with the above issue with this mod? :?:
googlah

Post by googlah »

Hey all..

Very nice mod indeed. I'm sure it's being used alot of my members.. the forum can be seen @ http://27mhz.se/forums/ but.. I would like to implement the Yesterday at/Today at mod which can be found here; hhttp://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f ... &sk=t&sd=a in it.

How to do that? Cannot be that hard.. Thanks in advance and this is a really growing forum so do not hesitate to help 8-)
vetim_ch

Post by vetim_ch »

Hi all, compliments for this mod, but i've got a problem...

I have installed the mod...but i can't see nothing in the bar mode...

Can anyone help me plz? :D

Link to my forum : http://www.deshirat.com/Bisedime/index.php

Thanks. Vetim.
DBM

Post by DBM »

Hi googlah and vetim_ch, I understand that the author of this mod stopped supporting it a year or so ago. :(

That is a great pity, as it was a feature that a number of my users liked on my old phpbb2 board and nobody seems willing to create a phpbb3 version yet. :(
SMITH060

Post by SMITH060 »

Does anyone know how to change it so that it is displayed at the header, instead of the footer of the index?

Thanks,

SMITH
Ron2K
Name: Kieron Thwaites

Post by Ron2K »

Hi all,

I've just installed this MOD on a friend's forum. It works great, except for one thing. When you click on a topic in the active users box, you get taken to the first post in the thread, and my friend's nitpicking users want to be taken to the LAST post in the thread. I've been asked to find a solution, but unfortunately I don't know any PHP. Which is why I've come here, to ask if anyone here knows out to do it.

While I'm here, I'm going to answer the post above my own, as it's quite straightforward.
SMITH060 wrote:Does anyone know how to change it so that it is displayed at the header, instead of the footer of the index?

Thanks,

SMITH
Simply move the active users code in index_body.tpl to the location of your choice. If you know some HTML, you'll know exactly where to put it. If not, experiment and see. My HTML isn't that good, but when I did this, I used the language variables in the template file as a hint as to what styling is where. This approach may work for you as well.
imaken

Post by imaken »

Look in this post Ron2K

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 1#p3141441
and this one two posts above the previous link
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 8#p3140868

For working latest active topics info

8-)
Last edited by imaken on Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron2K
Name: Kieron Thwaites

Post by Ron2K »

Ta. :D
vetim_ch

Post by vetim_ch »

Yessss i've fixed the modeee!!! Yuhuuuuuuuu.. now all goes like a charm:P

Greats. Vetim.
genial.soul

Post by genial.soul »

Hi Everyone using this mod,
I do not know if someone else has noticed it earlier or not, but currently the sql query for fetching the Last 15/n active topic has missing in it the limit keyword, so whats going on is that all the records from the topics table are fetched ( Slow and resource consuming. if u have 5000 topics in your forum, it ll fetch 5000 records for the sake of displaying only 15/what ever the limit you have set ) and first n records ( n=number of active topics set in admin config ) are selected for display putting unnecessary burden over the database server.
To make the query more efficient do the following
Find this code
$sql = "SELECT t.topic_id, t.topic_title, t.topic_last_post_id, t.forum_id, t.topic_type, t.topic_status, p.post_id, p.poster_id,
p.post_time, u.user_id, u.username, u.user_lastvisit
FROM " . TOPICS_TABLE . " t, " . FORUMS_TABLE . " f, " . POSTS_TABLE . " p, " . USERS_TABLE . " u
WHERE t.forum_id IN " . $auth_view_forum_sql . " AND t.topic_id = p.topic_id
AND f.forum_id = t.forum_id
AND t.topic_status <> 2
AND p.post_id = t.topic_last_post_id
AND p.poster_id = u.user_id
ORDER BY t.topic_last_post_id DESC";
and replace it with the following code
$sql = "SELECT t.topic_id, t.topic_title, t.topic_last_post_id, t.forum_id, t.topic_type, t.topic_status, p.post_id, p.poster_id,
FROM " . TOPICS_TABLE . " t, " . FORUMS_TABLE . " f, " . POSTS_TABLE . " p, " . USERS_TABLE . " u
AND t.topic_status <> 2
ORDER BY t.topic_last_post_id DESC limit 0, ".$board_config['topics_on_index'];
Please note that only last line of the query is changed.

I would like to request the mod author to correct this problem in the original download files.
donkeyslo

Post by donkeyslo »

I have a forum which can not be viewed by people, who are not logged in - they can only see the first page. This also means, that when you come to the page, you can not see the last topics - you have to log in to see them...is there any way to show the last topics to people who are not logged in?
Tnx for answering...
Matej
imaken

Post by imaken »

Dear genial.soul: I tried the parameter /sql query search limit modification you listed above, Exactly.
genial.soul wrote:
AND t.topic_status <> 2
Please note that only last line of the query is changed.
I would like to request the mod author to correct this problem in the original download files.
I only added to index.php and the line is viewed as entirely:

IT WORKS BUT First go through I got an error message. After looking, I learned that a cut and paste out of this forum, when the text is highlighted or bolded or colored, into a php editor will leave BBCode bracket junk embedded in the programs. It worked when I typed the program code by hand.

After typing in the "parameter limit modification you listed" by hand, and getting the parsing right, because it then did not have an embedded [-b]code[-/b] Then I didn't get an error msg, and the index page still works marvelous. This is one of the underlying/hidden changes, one has to trust is working. NO Error message, it must be working. But if someone thinks everything is right, .and. gets an error message, .and. If you cut and paste, watch out. Apparently the sql query search limit is working marvelous. One never knows I may someday have 5000 topics in my little forum (truthinJesus.net) and limiting server work is a good thing. -- Thanks genial.soul -- Image 8-)
donbodo

Post by donbodo »

I am new to this, and I have followed all of the original instructions, except for the first one:

#
#-----[ SQL ]------------------------------------------
#
INSERT INTO phpbb_config ( config_name, config_value ) VALUES ('topics_on_index', '10');

I don't know exactly what this means and need someone to walk me through it.
mgoi

Post by mgoi »

donbodo wrote:I am new to this, and I have followed all of the original instructions, except for the first one:

#
#-----[ SQL ]------------------------------------------
#
INSERT INTO phpbb_config ( config_name, config_value ) VALUES ('topics_on_index', '10');

I don't know exactly what this means and need someone to walk me through it.
Hi donbodo,

This is a SQL query which you must run into your sql database. You can easily run the query if you install with easymod. If you have made the install manually, then log in to your mysql database (using phpMyAdmin) and run the query from there.

Hope this helps. If you need more detailed instructions how to run sql functions, please search the forum for phpMyAdmin.

mgoi
mgoi

Post by mgoi »

donkeyslo wrote:I have a forum which can not be viewed by people, who are not logged in - they can only see the first page. This also means, that when you come to the page, you can not see the last topics - you have to log in to see them...is there any way to show the last topics to people who are not logged in?
Tnx for answering...
Matej
I haven't this mod installed yet but I guess that you can add

Code: Select all

<!-- BEGIN switch_user_logged_out -->
before the code in your template
and

Code: Select all

<!-- END switch_user_logged_out -->
after the code in your template.

That way it will appear to people who are not logged in.

hope this helps

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”