[2.0.7] Announces Suite

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
44%
Very Good
26%
Good
11%
Fair
5%
Poor
14%

Total votes: 84

hexar

Post by hexar » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:26 am

Hehe.. well, it sounds right, but i'm hardly what you can call a noob yet, i read like, 10 php tutorials, and didn't understand half of them, so i wouldn't know how to do.. It just seems that, the split topic one, does what i want it to, take stickties from one subforum, and ONKLY display them in that forum, while the announcement one is able to be shown on top of the subfolders. so none of em exactly fits..

But a you say, it's nothing that is quickly doable, and well, i know nothing about php whatsoever, so i'll just use the announcement one, i guess.. just a little irritating cus it'll shoe in ALL subforums then. But whatever, the users will have to read all of it no matter what, so that should be fine.

Once again, thanks for these good mods, i really like em even though they doesn't exactly fit to my needs.. but isn't it always like that? you find something SO close to what you really need, but still not IT! ;)

i'll shut up now, i always talk too much :P

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:28 am

blah, with a little more experience (it goes very quickly btw), you will be able to say : "oh ! that was that ! ok let's go !" and customize it at your need ;). Actually I write my mods in this aim, setting client functions for the main ones, that can be reused elsewhere : topic_list() is a perfect exemple of it : it is used by split topic type, topic calendar, profile control panel, simply merge, last topics from, etc., and some other not published (ie a last topics on index, summarize news for portal, etc.) ;).

hexar

Post by hexar » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:53 am

Hehe.. Thanks for your tips :) I've actually been trying to do some stuff in php, but it always end out wrong, and i suck at explaining, so when i ask for help, people misunderstand me and think i want something else :D

Ok, we're getting too much off topic here.. I found a solution.. it seems a bit strange, but it works really good.

I use the "Link-forums" From your heirachy mod, to link to posts in my knowlage base.. that way, the links will be on the top of the page, and it'll even be really easy to navigate through the different "sticky posts" as they're really not posts, but articles in the knowlage base =]

Only problem is, the knowlage base mod soesn't seem to work for me, keep getting a mysql error.. but i'll try and install it manually now.

So if anyone out there's looking for that same thing as me.. Try with a knowlage base. it seems like a good idea :mrgreen:

I would really like to learn php, and to script for phpbb, but it's really hard to get started. i only learned echos, loops, and some other basic stuff. and it really seems like all the time the tutorials a read, starts talking about mySQL, nothing of what they're telling me to do, works.. Also, it all confuses me.. I hope to learn someday :D

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:23 am

I'm sure you have noticed there is a mod author support forum here ;).

hexar

Post by hexar » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:01 pm

Yea, i know ;) But i found out what was wrong. I let easymod install, and the scripter left out an end tag ( ; ) somewhere.

Seems to be working the way i want it to now \o/

Once again, thanks for your help & mods

oglsmm

Awesome Mod!

Post by oglsmm » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:08 pm

This mod is amazing. Thanks a million. I do have 2 questions though.

1) This there a way to make it so that JUST global announcements show up on the main forum page, and keep regular announcements in thier own Forum sections?

2) The mod didn't work so well with some of the themes I had installed. I edited the files in the templates manually and it now works great on them all. The only exception is for the Chronicles theme. Chronicles seems to use "bigger" text and tables then most mods. So when the Board Announcments are displayed on the main page this mod uses standard size tables so the icons appear "squished".

You can see what I mean at http://forum.onlinemike.com

Is there a way to make the board announcments table the same size as chronicles for that theme only, or do you know how I can make chhronicles to be smaller like the rest of them?

oglsmm

Thanks for any help you can give, and for the great efforts.

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:39 pm

> 1 : no : the mod takes all the announcements it founds visible for the user in the branch and pull it to the index. If you are using categories hierarchy, the more deeper you goes into the branch, the more specialized are the announces displayed,

> 2 : it is templating stuff : you can edit the column with and the classes used by topics_list_box.tpl in the chronicles directory : you can mimic the viewforum_body.tpl, which is very close to.

webworm

Post by webworm » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:41 pm

I accidently installed the wrong version of this mod. I'm having some trouble understanding exactly what I need to do in order to fix it.

I did not use easymod to install this because I'm using a custom template, but I do have backups of all files that I modified.

Could someone please tell me if it's possible to easily fix my forum (and how I could do so), or would it be easier to reinstall the modification?

Thanks

danewb

Post by danewb » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:09 am

help?
it says::

Parse error: parse error in /home/danewb/public_html/forums/posting.php on line 583
and i have this written in that area:::
if ( $error_msg == '' )
{
$topic_type = ( $topic_type != $post_data['topic_type']

submit_post( $mode, $post_data, $return_message, $return_meta, $forum_id, $topic_id, $post_id, $poll_id, $topic_type, $bbcode_on, $html_on, $smilies_on, $attach_sig, $bbcode_uid, str_replace("\'", "''", $username), str_replace("\'", "''", $subject), str_replace("\'", "''", $message), str_replace("\'", "''", $poll_title), $poll_options, $poll_length);
}
break;
*this is after i uploaded everything*

ontiblue.com

Post by ontiblue.com » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:12 pm

I'm receiving errors, any help would be appreciated....

whenever I open a forum I'm gettin these errors...can u shed any light on how to fix it?

Warning: main(./includes/mods_settings/mod_announces.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/ontiblue/public_html/forums/viewforum.php on line 101

Warning: main(): Failed opening './includes/mods_settings/mod_announces.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/ontiblue/public_html/forums/viewforum.php on line 101

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ontiblue/public_html/forums/viewforum.php:101) in /home/ontiblue/public_html/forums/includes/page_header.php on line 474

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ontiblue/public_html/forums/viewforum.php:101) in /home/ontiblue/public_html/forums/includes/page_header.php on line 476

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ontiblue/public_html/forums/viewforum.php:101) in /home/ontiblue/public_html/forums/includes/page_header.php on line 477

Could not obtain topic information

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '/-- fin mod : announces ---------------------------------------

SELECT t.*, u.username, u.user_id, u2.username as user2, u2.user_id as id2, p.post_username, p2.post_username AS post_username2, p2.post_time FROM phpbb_topics t, phpbb_users u, phpbb_posts p, phpbb_posts p2, phpbb_users u2 WHERE t.forum_id = 34 AND t.topic_poster = u.user_id AND p.post_id = t.topic_first_post_id AND p2.post_id = t.topic_last_post_id AND u2.user_id = p2.poster_id AND t.topic_type <> 2 AND t.topic_type <> 3 //-- fin mod : announces --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ORDER BY t.topic_type DESC, t.topic_last_post_id DESC LIMIT 0, 50

Line : 350
File : /home/ontiblue/public_html/forums/viewforum.php

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:15 pm

Files missing plus mis-understood of the instructions to install the mod. Please refers to the mod install description for the copies, and to the official mod template in the knowledge base for the instructions explanations.

ontiblue.com

Post by ontiblue.com » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:18 pm

Can you tell which files are missing?...I'm pretty sure I copied over all the files that were said to in teh directions.

ontiblue.com

Post by ontiblue.com » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:22 pm

Also, in there are 4 different pages of install pages, If all I have is the attachment mod installed, I'm supposed to do the first the second and 3rd page instructions correct?

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:18 pm

Take the time to read the author notes and the part designation : all is already detailled preciasly in it.

ontiblue.com

Post by ontiblue.com » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:21 pm

I have read it, I'm asking for clarification, is that too much?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”