[2.0.7] Ban Email Wildcard Upgrade

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
83%
Very Good
No votes
Good
17%
Fair
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 6

confoosious

Re: [2.0.7] Ban Email Wildcard Upgrade

Post by confoosious »

Of course I find this thread today.

I found a way to ban *@*.ru etc addresses without this mod. I just insert a new row in my phpbb_banlist table.

For some reason, you can't put *@*.ru in the normal ban control but it works if you do a little db entry. If you have phpmyadmin installed on your site, it's not that hard.
WordTickler

Re:

Post by WordTickler »

Pandaflux wrote:I banned .ru on my forum but I think I'm still getting spam bot registrations, it just seems they they use .com addresses now :(. Is there a way for this mod to automatically ban the IP of someone trying to register with a banned email address?
xushi wrote:That's useless..

They use hijacked terminals all over to do their deeds, so they change their ip addresses all the time. And besides, you'll be blocking innocent victims, as well as other people who have no relation to all this because of how dynamic addresses are shared via ISPs.
Not such a bad idea if you ban the IP for an Admin-defined period of time (say 96 hours, 30 days, etc.)

-= WordTickler =-
ThunderCrew

Re: [2.0.7] Ban Email Wildcard Upgrade

Post by ThunderCrew »

Image THANK YOU.
My forum is relativley small but verry tight net family. With me or one of the mods on 99% of the time
it was still a slight uphill battle deleting spammers before they got activated.
With over 200 blocked/banned email accounts for .ru .info etc and even alot of banned hotmail and google accounts still got spammers registering.

This ability to block *@*.info *@*.ru etc ROCKS. :ugeek:
Ugg im a t0tal newb again ...... 2 years off cant remember jack ... time to get to it

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”