[2.0.10] Change Email Sender

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
50%
Very Good
14%
Good
14%
Fair
7%
Poor
14%

Total votes: 14

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.10] Change Email Sender

Post by Extensions Robot » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:59 pm

MOD Name: Change Email Sender
Author: plastikaa
MOD Description: When Emails are sent from within phpBB, such as the confirm registration email these Emails come from your servers default email (usually something such as: nobody@your_hosts_server.com) - Due to some hosts starting to disable sending emails from this Email address to reduce spam phpBB is unable to send these Emails. These two small changes will make all the emails phpBB sends come from the board's email adddress rather than the servers default address.

Please note: although the email address the emails come from in phpBB before applying this change say they come from the boards email, they don't! This is a simple php mail function to make it appear as if they do. This change won't make any visual difference to most people but its an important change.

MOD Version: 1.0.3

Download File: Change_Email_Sender_v1-0-3a.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 1634 Bytes

Security Score:
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)

wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:37 pm

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
This MOD makes it so that every email sent from your board is from the email address set in the ACP.

alsakrah

Post by alsakrah » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:47 am

Very usefull mod

I will install it very soon

onigumo

Post by onigumo » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:44 am

I've no idea if it's functioning properly, and I'm still a little hazy about what it does even though the description seems thorough and straight-forward enough, but I've installed it.
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.

plastikaa

Post by plastikaa » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:22 pm

Hi - sorry I havent replied sooner...

Anway ill try and explain a little more clear: when you recieve an email with whatever you use for email it will usually have a name and email address such as:

Mr Thingy <mr_thingy@email.com>

This is what most people understand to be where the email has come from, which in most cases especially when you send emails between friends is the truth. But in a lot of spam and junk emails this isn't the address the email has come from, and is simply a return email for when you reply, or just a 'made up' email. You can easily edit that line which reads Mr Thingy <mr_thingy@email.com> to be anything you want with some basic php mail functions.

Anyway when you send an email from phpBB it comes from the email that you host has as its defualt setting. Example my emails come from nobody@box7.illusionfxnet.com on my host by default. Although this 'true email' is okay and doesnt affect most people, some people might either want to change this or if they are like my host they might not be able to send emails from the user nobody (nobody@box7.illusionfxnet) as my host has disabled of sending emails from this address as it someone was spamming from it, and as everyones emails were coming from this same email they coudlnt figure out who it was. So now on my host you have to define the email you want emails to be sent from.

Im using gmail for my emails - if I goto more options when in the email and then click show original it shows you a lot of details that are usually hidden and most people are unaware of. Most other email providers have somethign similar.

If you send an email from your site before installing this hack and then do the same after you have added the hack and compare the results of all the true details you will see the differences.

frank.m

be careful ...

Post by frank.m » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:45 pm

You should check all email functions of your board carefully after installing this mod.

For me, everything worked properly, notifications & registration messages to new users were send out, but I did not get the admin emails for confirming a new user account any more (my board is set to "Admin confirms new users"). I had to uninstall the mod to fix the problem :( .

Not sure why this happened. A possible explaination could be that this is the special case of "email to myself". My board email adress is an alias to a very cryptical "real" email box at my webspace provider; possibly the mail server did not know what to do with an "internal" email comming from a mailbox alias, and then discarded it as spam...

(Expect similar problems if your phpBB is also hosted at the german provider "1und1" .)

plastikaa

Post by plastikaa » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:52 pm

Emails sent to yourself should still be fine - is there any chance that you could chekc your spam to make sure it hasnt been put there? - or does your spam get auotmatically deleted?

walten

Post by walten » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:48 pm

plastikaa wrote: Hi - sorry I havent replied sooner...

Anway ill try and explain a little more clear: when you recieve an email with whatever you use for email it will usually have a name and email address such as:

Mr Thingy <mr_thingy@email.com>

-cut-

You can easily edit that line which reads Mr Thingy <mr_thingy@email.com> to be anything you want with some basic php mail functions.

For the not so cunning : HOW can i make the mail look like Mr Thingy etc...?

darakhshan

Post by darakhshan » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:21 pm

when somebody registers in my board the registration link is sent to his email for activation, Yahoo and other email providers most of the time sends my board email to spam folder of my users
Now my question if I install this hack will it fix this problem?

wordeebird

same type of problems...

Post by wordeebird » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:26 pm

My hosting company has recently changed some settings so that our Admin topic notifier doesn't work anymore, and we don't get new user activation emails AND the new user [if set to user confirm registration] doesn't get any email either!

Will this mod help? I'm going to try it & see...

robertmf

Change_Email_Sender for phpBB v2.013

Post by robertmf » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:59 pm

When modifying emailer.php, the FIND code looks a bit different from what is given in the Change_Email_Sender FIND/REPLACE; you are adding , "-f{$board_config['board_email']}" to $result
FIND

$result = @mail($to, $this->subject, preg_replace("#(?<!\r)\n#s", "\n", $this->msg), $this->extra_headers );

REPLACE WITH

$result = @mail($to, $this->subject, preg_replace("#(?<!\r)\n#s", "\n", $this->msg), $this->extra_headers, "-f{$board_config['board_email']}");

// AND THE SAME AGAIN JUST AFTER

FIND

$result = @mail($to, $this->subject, preg_replace("#(?<!\r)\n#s", "\n", $this->msg), $this->extra_headers );

REPLACE WITH

$result = @mail($to, $this->subject, preg_replace("#(?<!\r)\n#s", "\n", $this->msg), $this->extra_headers, "-f{$board_config['board_email']}");

plastikaa

Post by plastikaa » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:51 pm

darakhshan wrote: when somebody registers in my board the registration link is sent to his email for activation, Yahoo and other email providers most of the time sends my board email to spam folder of my users

Not guaranteed to help... but it might help. Different ISPs probably block spam in slightly different ways, at the end of the day if it was this easy to stop all spam getting blocked then everyone would just do this to send spam.

BTW: sorry for the reply that took a long time and probably didnt help answer your question too much.

Bachsau

Post by Bachsau » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:37 am

Can you explain me, what exactly this mod should change? The From header IS already the board's email!

I checked the complete headers now, and couldn't find any difference after I applied your mod.

[cR@zY]Null

Post by [cR@zY]Null » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:00 am

Can you also sent a topic with this?

I also have this strange email from problem, and the topic is never filled in.

I want to sent a topic with it (one I have set)

Greetz

Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:41 pm

Bachsau wrote: Can you explain me, what exactly this mod should change? The From header IS already the board's email!

I checked the complete headers now, and couldn't find any difference after I applied your mod.

then in your case nothing ..
[cR@zY]Null wrote: Can you also sent a topic with this?

I also have this strange email from problem, and the topic is never filled in.

I want to sent a topic with it (one I have set)

Greetz

no it 'll only change the senders 'name / value' so
instead of root@localhost or mail@yourwebhost.com it'll
set the default admin value emailadres ( set in ACP )

rfn

ps have an own webserver?
you could edit your php.ini file
wordeebird wrote: My hosting company has recently changed some settings so that our Admin topic notifier doesn't work anymore, and we don't get new user activation emails AND the new user [if set to user confirm registration] doesn't get any email either!

Will this mod help? I'm going to try it & see...

no, try using SMTP mail ( set in ACP )
darakhshan wrote: when somebody registers in my board the registration link is sent to his email for activation, Yahoo and other email providers most of the time sends my board email to spam folder of my users

No, it has to do with a blacklist ( auto bl ) for those providers OR users!
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”