[2.0.13] Remove Duplicate Sessions

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
67%
Very Good
33%
Good
No votes
Fair
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 3

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.13] Remove Duplicate Sessions

Post by Extensions Robot » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:07 pm

MOD Name: Remove Duplicate Sessions
Author: nurhendra
MOD Description: To remove duplicate/old sessions from the same user

MOD Version: 1.0.0

Download File: remove_dupe_sessions_1.0.0.mod
mods overview page: View
File Size: 2248 Bytes

Security Score: 0
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)

ycl6
Translator

Post by ycl6 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:21 am

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
This MOD removes old sessions from users when he/she is logging.

nurhendra

Post by nurhendra » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:52 pm

The story was..

A friend was using my PC to browse a phpbb forum. He didn't log out, but just continue doing something else.
Later, I kicked him out from my PC, so he have to use his notebook, which includes browsing the forum, etc.
After checking my emails, doing some google, etc, I went to that same forum and I see that my PC is already logged in as my friend. I see that if I was fast enough to enter the forum before the cookie/session expired, then I might be able to reuse someone else session.

So, I just want to make sure that it will not happen to me in my forum.

Modified the session login, so that when I logging in from a computer, my old, not-logged-out-yet sessions, will be automatically removed. This way, if I forgotten to log out from a PC, I can just log in somewhere else to force logging out my old sessions.

The downside is, you can't log in more than once from anywhere, including multiple browsers within one PC.

Of course, this forced log out will not work if the 'Automatic Log on' feature was used. If this feature is in use in multiple sessions (=multiple browsers or computers), then what will happen is all sessions will remove each other session data from the database, forcing to have only one line of session data for that user. While this will not disturb the browsing activity, it will be one SQL query heavier for each page viewed.

... end of story. (to be continued?)

:)

Shanana

Post by Shanana » Sat May 21, 2005 12:28 pm

Ok, I have a question about this before I do anything:

I have a section on my site that is for members only & I'm using PHPBB's sessions. I've been having a problem where users are able to click Back & still be logged in.

Will this mod make it so that they are taken to the index page I have created [not PHPBB's index]?

PghIndys

Post by PghIndys » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:26 pm

I am getting an invalid_session error when you try to register on my site with this mod, other than that, the mod wprks perfectly
I have phpbb 2.17

please help

Shanana

Post by Shanana » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:09 am

Anyone?

nurhendra

Post by nurhendra » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:54 pm

I apologize for not replying sooner. I thought I was watching the thread, but no notification coming. :(
Anyway...

Shanana:
This mod will remove old/duplicate session from the user, only if that user is logging in. This mod is not for doing session expire or session log-out, because phpBB is already doing that.
Probably your user is using their browser's cache to click back etc, but if they are logged out (their session removed) then they can't do anything else. To avoid this, maybe you can put a 'pragma no cache' thingy on your page so that users will not be able to see their old cache for your page.
As for setting the index page to non-default phpbb forum index, it should be already available in the mod database or in the forum.

PghIndys:
I tried to duplicate your error message but can't. I installed a fresh 2.0.17 (no mod) and applied this mod, and everything works as advertised.
Basically, my mod will remove all session for that user, when the user is trying to create a new session. Thus, all old sessions will be removed, then the original phpBB code will create the session.
The sql are doing as follow:
1. delete all session for this user [this is what my mod doing]
2. update the session for this user [this is phpbb original code]
3. if cannot update, then create new session [this is phpbb original code]
My mod is not changing anything else. It is a run-and-that's-it code, which means after the end of my mod it will not be seen again. As you can see, I am only using the $sql variable to do the query, which then will be overwritten by the next query.
Also, there is a more descriptive error message in place, if something is wrong with my mod: "Error in removing duplicate sessions".
So, my guess is maybe you haven't put my mod fully (something changed), or your problem was coming from someone else's mod.
You can try to remove my mod (it's not crucial, so it will not break phpbb) and see if the problem persist. If so, then double check if the mod entered is complete.

Thank's!

PghIndys

Post by PghIndys » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:55 pm

I believe it has something to do with the pcp mod.
do you have any provisions for that mod? or is there a way to allow it to see 2 sessions during registration, it seems like that is what pcp does.

thanks

** I got it to work, I just added the user email activation, that way it wasnt logging on and trying to submit info on the same session id. works great :) thanks **
Last edited by PghIndys on Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gargen

Post by Gargen » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:00 pm

i looked it over good job i dont really think i will use it i dont see it as being that bad and somepeople like staying logged on but good job

badboy4ever

Post by badboy4ever » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:12 pm

As Ive noticed phpbb 2.0.18 changed most of the sessions file. Dose this mod work with 2.0.18?

kulinar

Post by kulinar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:40 pm

After upgrading to 2.0.19 this mod caused the following problem - the number of online guests was ALWAYS 1. After uninstalling the mod this problem disappeared.

diabolic.bg

Post by diabolic.bg » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:52 am

The mod working excellent in my board 2.0.22.
Thanks nurhendra!

Hannibal_King

Post by Hannibal_King » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:17 pm

kulinar wrote: After upgrading to 2.0.19 this mod caused the following problem - the number of online guests was ALWAYS 1. After uninstalling the mod this problem disappeared.

i had the same problem, so i uninstalled it :(

NoDeity

Post by NoDeity » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:56 am

The visual confirmation system on my board was not working. I uninstalled this MOD this evening and the visual confirmation now works just fine.

diabolic.bg

Post by diabolic.bg » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:23 pm

NoDeity wrote: The visual confirmation system on my board was not working. I uninstalled this MOD this evening and the visual confirmation now works just fine.

I have similar problem. Now I'll uninstall the mod.
NoDeity thanks for advice! :D

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”