[2.0.13] Forum Watch

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
78%
Very Good
7%
Good
7%
Fair
No votes
Poor
7%

Total votes: 41

barryc

I changed the files and

Post by barryc »

NightriderXP wrote: Without the viewforum_body.tpl and viewforum.php files, I'm surprised your board works at all. Someone must have manually changed something on your board...

:!:

I'm never surprised when things are odd with software.

Anyhow, I restored the file names and there was no change. phpBB still works, but the "Forum Watch" link doesn't appear. I suspect that one of my other mods, though there aren't too many, is involved.

I've just taken a deeper dive into my files archive - I keep copies of all the mods I've installed, and of course backups of all the files they add/delete/modify (though backups of changed files do ultimately get lost in the more frequently revised files).

It seems that Category Hierarchy 2.11 is the place where the changes occur, which isn't a surprise since that mod makes major changes in how phpBB is organized. Unless someone in this group's done so already, I have to presume that the files CH uses instead of these changed viewforum files are where the problem lies. I'll have to see if I can figure out what's replaced the files and see if there's a place to add the Forum Watch code.

Interesting challenge.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Yep, you are right. I just downloaded and looked at the install script for CH and there are a lot of files that you have to change their names manually. You had to manually change the names of 21 files! I'm surprised you forgot about doing that...

After adding CH to your board, you may have trouble finding MODs that will install easily on it. I think I will pass on CH...

8O

barryc

CH comes preinstalled in phpBB

Post by barryc »

They cheat - CH comes preconfigured with phpBB. Including the most recent version: 2.14

I've posted on their board a question of what to look for, but perhaps you can help.

It looks like the problem is in the viewforum files which are not used with CH. What would I be looking for, besides the specific cues, to identify where to insert the forum watching code?

This might not work out, which would be a shame as these two are really great features. Hierarchy so I can manage large numbers of fora, and a watcher so visitors can be alerted when new topics are posted.

Some form of the latter is really important for my employees - I want them to know a new topic is posted so they can reply, but I don't want to give them moderator powers.

NightriderXP

Re: CH comes preinstalled in phpBB

Post by NightriderXP »

barryc wrote: They cheat - CH comes preconfigured with phpBB. Including the most recent version: 2.14

I've posted on their board a question of what to look for, but perhaps you can help.

It looks like the problem is in the viewforum files which are not used with CH. What would I be looking for, besides the specific cues, to identify where to insert the forum watching code?

This might not work out, which would be a shame as these two are really great features. Hierarchy so I can manage large numbers of fora, and a watcher so visitors can be alerted when new topics are posted.

Some form of the latter is really important for my employees - I want them to know a new topic is posted so they can reply, but I don't want to give them moderator powers.

Since I have absolutely no experience with CH, I wouldn't even want to venture about what it is doing. I'm not too thrilled that it deviated so far away from default for the forum layout. It is probably going to cause you a lot of problems in the future if you plan to install any additional MODs. I'm happy that I didn't go down that road before I had a better understanding of the forum software. I won't ever be adding CH to my board...

EM had to have given you a warning about the missing viewforum files when you installed this MOD. Did you see any warning messages???

I am swamped dealing with things I have a pretty good clue about. I don't think I can debug CH to figure out how to add the Forum Views MOD. Perhaps the developer of Forum Watch can create a separate MOD for those who use CH. It's a shame that all of these developers would have to code around one MOD though...

8O

barryc

CH and Forum Watch

Post by barryc »

[quote=NitghtriderXP]I am swamped dealing with things I have a pretty good clue about. I don't think I can debug CH to figure out how to add the Forum Views MOD. Perhaps the developer of Forum Watch can create a separate MOD for those who use CH. It's a shame that all of these developers would have to code around one MOD though... [/quote]

Not an problem, I wouldn't expect you to do this. I agree that CH may cause problems in some cases, but I also think what it offers should almost be a standard feature of phpBB. I suspect some form of the Hierachic principle is inherent in alternative products.

Most of the Mods I need are related to how I want to use the BB. For now, we're experimenting with the concept as a tool for having threaded discussions on business issues and in lieu of a more traditional portal platform which seems to require more development and managerial effort than we can provide.

Maybe the CH folks can help. If not, there might be an alternative new topic alert mechanism to try.

We're not locked into any platforms at the moment. We can switch pretty easily to something else that does the job better.

all clowns are evil

Post by all clowns are evil »

Hey Skinmaster,

Wanted to say cheers for the forum watch mod. Cool idea.

Had a suggestion for extending it's features. How difficult would it be to add a function to the mod whereby you can 'force' a usergroup to watch a certain forum?

Don't know any PHP myself but I may take a look at it anyhow and see if my feeble brain can handle it ..... just wondered if you'd thought of it and how difficult it may be?

Thanks again for it.
-Russ

skinmaster

Post by skinmaster »

> Had a suggestion for extending it's features. How difficult
> would it be to add a function to the mod whereby you can
> 'force' a usergroup to watch a certain forum?

I shouldn't imagine it's too hard. But I'd not thought of it myself.

> Don't know any PHP myself but I may take a look at it anyhow
> and see if my feeble brain can handle it ..... just wondered
> if you'd thought of it and how difficult it may be?

Hmm, well you'd have to add some code on assigning of a member to the group
in question to insert an entry in the forum watch table for that member for
the specified forum. Then you'd have to hack the forum display page to
remove the "stop watching this topic" link if a person was a member of that
forum.

OR, you could add code in the send watch message code to send a message to
all members of that group IF they haven't already sent one because they are
manually watching that forum.

I think the second idea might be easier to implement.

Neither is ideal. That sounds like the job for a much richer, configurable forum watch mod. I think there is a "market" for an advanced one where you can say which forums can/can't be watched. who has to watch a forum and loads of other things, but, I don't have the time to implement and support a major mod.

I just shared this simple version as that's what my company required me to produce. If they get round to wanting a more advanced one (always possible) then I will of course release it.

runningphan

installed fine but not getting emails

Post by runningphan »

i just installed this mod which will help our support engineers out tremendously, but after testing, it seems that i'm not getting any email. i had no problems installing (creating the table, modifying the php) and get no errors when selecting to watch the forum. it shows me as watching it and everything seems in place, but for some reason, when i post, i do not get any email. i've checked all of our spam / email logs and the email never made it to our server.

any thoughts?

we're using version 2.0.10...could this be a problem?

skinmaster

Post by skinmaster »

When YOU post, it won't mail you.

Test with a 2nd account. Watch with one, post with the other.

runningphan

Wonderful...thank you.

Post by runningphan »

It made perfect sense after reading your post. Everything is working perfectly. Thanks for the wonderful mod...now our support staff can be up-to-date with the current postings all the time.

copper34

Post by copper34 »

Does this include the text of the post in the email notification?

skinmaster

Post by skinmaster »

It doesn't. But I think it could be easily changed to do so.

To clarify:

This is exactly like Watch Topic.

It works in exactly the same way. Exactly. In every detail.

marving

Post by marving »

I installed the "easy_admin_topic_notifier_mod_1.0.4" Mod a while back and all was working fine.

Now the company wants all employees to have the choice to subscribe to New Topics for each forum. So the "Forum-Watch-1.0.2" is perfect.

So i tried to install this and now im getting this error:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class emailer in ..\phpBB2\includes\emailer.php on line 28

Im guessing by the searches I did on here that this is because I have 2 emailers, which I do need. The Topic Notifier Notifies the Moderator EVERYTIME a new topic is made and by default it ALWAYS notifies the Moderator. The Forum Watch give you ONE notification and the user/moderator has to select to "watch".

So how do I get 2 notifiers to work?

marving

Post by marving »

I installed the "easy_admin_topic_notifier_mod_1.0.4" Mod a while back and all was working fine.

Now the company wants all employees to have the choice to subscribe to New Topics for each forum. So the "Forum-Watch-1.0.2" is perfect.

So i tried to install this and now im getting this error:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class emailer in ..\phpBB2\includes\emailer.php on line 28

Im guessing by the searches I did on here that this is because I have 2 emailers, which I do need. The Topic Notifier Notifies the Moderator EVERYTIME a new topic is made and by default it ALWAYS notifies the Moderator. The Forum Watch give you ONE notification and the user/moderator has to select to "watch".

So how do I get 2 notifiers to work?

I figured it out....

Code: Select all

$emailer = new emailer($board_config['smtp_delivery']);
This call for the emailer was being called 3 times in my functions_post.php file. I commented out all 3 and put the code at the top and it worked fine. Got 3 emails...
1. As Moderator
2. As Poster of new Topic
3. As User watching Topic.

CarGuy

mod died after upgrade to 2.0.15...

Post by CarGuy »

Dear Skinmaster,

Forum Watch works great, but it died after upgrading to 2.0.15.
I realize, from many notes, that a mod may need to be re-applied after an upgrade - but how do I do that? I tried running EZmod again, but it fails saying the data base is already created (not null) which of course makes sense!!!

Should have I told EZmod to apply the mod anyway???

Thanks much 8O
Facts change, Truth never changes.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”