[2.0.13] Forum Watch

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
78%
Very Good
7%
Good
7%
Fair
No votes
Poor
7%

Total votes: 41

skinmaster

Post by skinmaster »

You will need to reapply the changes to the php files, but the database will be intact, so the ezmod install will fail as the database table already exists.

You have two options really.

1) Install the code changes by hand.
2) Rename the existing subscription table, install the mod, delete the new subscription table and re-rename the old subscription table.
CarGuy

advice

Post by CarGuy »

Thanks much for the advice.
I'll give it a try.
Jim
Facts change, Truth never changes.
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

You do not need to delete the subscription table. Just uncheck the option to apply the SQL changes in EasyMOD and finish the install. Of course if you haven't removed the previous install, then you will be duplicating the code that was applied the first time, which can be bad. I suggest removing the Forum Watch code before attempting to apply it a second time...

I have Forum Watch installed on my board and it didn't quit working after the 2.0.15 update. Is it possible that you applied the 2.0.15 update incorrectly???

:?:
CarGuy

Post by CarGuy »

Well - Humm - I did have a little trouble w/ 2.0.15. I did not see a .txt file for EM, so I used the update_to_latest.
And, yes, I did make the mistake of running EM a second time with Forum Watch. I started going through and finding all the ADD commands, and sure enough the code is duplicated.
I hate learning the hard way!!! I try not to be proud, and would much rather learn from others mistakes.

Now I am trying to decide if it would be easier to find all the duplicate code and remove it, or just download the full version of 2.0.15 and copy the clean files I need, and then install Forum Watch.

Thanks for writing back Nightrider, I should have waited for your advice.
Do you know of any problem if I was to overwrite the files with clean 2.0.15? Or is it more complicated then that?
Thanks
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

EasyMOD makes a backup of all the files that it alters and stores it in a folder strangely enough called backups. All the files will have a txt extension added to them. You can download the entire backups folder to your harddrive, remove the .txt extensions, then overwrite your site files with them and it will be the same as if you had never run the MOD through EM a second time...

EasyMOD also maintains a History. Since you have the History and backup files for each MOD, you can roll back all changes that you have applied while using EM. I once had to roll back 20 MOD installs to find a weird problem caused by one of them. If you have been using EM to install all of your MODs, you can easily return your board back to where it was from the beginning...

If you haven't applied many MODs, it might be easy for you to overwrite your board with 2.0.15, reinstall EasyMOD, and start with a clean slate. I just did that to another very active board a few days ago and almost no one noticed. If you need help, I would be happy to help you through it...

:lol:
CarGuy

Post by CarGuy »

Thanks again Nightrider. That sure is a strange place to put the backups!!! :oops:
I thank our merciful God that Forum Watch is the only mod I have - truly being a beginner at this.
It sure has been fun for me, and thankful for all the truly helpful people like yourself. This world sure would be a nicer place if everyone would "give peace a chance". I am also very thankful we do not live in a place like Iraq or Afganistan - all the hate and violence in the middle east.
I guess I am just an old hippy kind of guy - make love not war.
Jim
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

You are welcome, CarGuy. It's nice to help people from my old stomping grounds. I lived in Gunnison for a short while and grew up in Casper. Colorado was basically my backyard...

Hopefully your board is back to "normal" again. So are you back to where Forum Watch is only installed once and it isn't working with version 2.0.15? Or better yet, is everything working now???

As for Iraq and Afghanistan, this probably isn't the best place to discuss it. But if you bring it to my board, I would be more than happy to discuss my views on the topic...

SnorkyDork

Post by SnorkyDork »

This is the first MOD I've installed - seemed to install ok, let's me select forums to watch, and updated the phpbb_forums_watch table after I did that.

I used an Admin account to watch forums and then posted with a test user account, and get no email on the Admin account.

But I also don't seem to be able to get email notifies on Topic Watch either.

I can email a message to another user.
balto

Forum-Watch Mod Is OK, but Forum-Watch-Topic Mod Isn't?

Post by balto »

Template(s) used: subSilver
Any and all MODs: Forum-Watch-1.0.2, Forum-Watch-Topic-1.0.2
Do you use a port of phpBB: no
Version of phpBB: 2.0.15
Version of PHP: 4.3.11
Which database server and version: MySQL 3.23.55
Host: GoDaddy.com (Linux)
Did someone install this for you/who: self-installed
Is this an upgrade/from what to what: No - new installation.
Is this a conversion/from what to what: No - new installation.
Have you searched for your problem: Yes. In the phpBB Support forum, I checked for "forum-watch" and got two hits, but no joy. Of course looking for "forum AND watch" is one of the universe of queries that blow up the search function, so nothing on that. This topic in the Mod Announcements & Support forum is relatively short, so I browsed all posts.
If so, what terms did you try: See above.
State the nature of your problem: I can't detect any change in function with the application of the Forum-Watch-Topic mod after applying the Forum-Watch mod. If I understand the function of the 2nd mod correctly, if a member is watching a forum, this mod will result in the member not only receiving notification of new topics, but will also subscribe the member to the new topics to receive notification of replies. The forum-watch is functioning fine (thanks very much for sharing this, by the way), but the test accounts are not getting subscribed to the new topics. The accounts receive notification upon topic creation, but must manually subscribe to each topic.

Example of testing: UserA, UserB, and UserC accounts created. UserB has Forum Watch enabled. User A creates a new topic with reply-notification enabled. UserB receives notification of a new topic. UserC replies to the new topic. UserA receives topic-reply notification, but UserB receives none. Testing repeated with UserB logging in, viewing the new topic, and logging out in the time between UserB receiving new-topic-notification e-mail, but before UserC posts his reply. Same results. Also, either way, when UserB logs in again, either before or after UserC's reply to the new topic, the option to watch the topic is offered, suggesting that topic-watch is not getting enabledfor UserB.

I have confirmed that the block of code I located with the find was the forum-watch section

Code: Select all

FROM " . FORUMS_WATCH_TABLE . " fw, " . USERS_TABLE . " u
rather than the topic-watch section

FROM " . TOPICS_WATCH_TABLE . " tw, " . USERS_TABLE . " u
and the indentation of the second mod matches perfectly.

Since no one else has posted any problem with this, I suspect that either I have bolluxed the mod in some creative way or that I must not actually understand the function of the Forum-Watch-Topic mod. However, I've read the description as carefully as I'm able, and I've checked my steps as carefully as I know how. I'm out of ideas. Any help/thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Do you have a test account for us: I will set one up if requested.
skinmaster

Post by skinmaster »

can you email me your patched files please. Not the templates, just the php files. I'll see if I can see if you've done anything wrong. mike@skinmaster.co.uk
shopke

Post by shopke »

skinmaster wrote: > Had a suggestion for extending it's features. How difficult
> would it be to add a function to the mod whereby you can
> 'force' a usergroup to watch a certain forum?

I shouldn't imagine it's too hard. But I'd not thought of it myself.

> Don't know any PHP myself but I may take a look at it anyhow
> and see if my feeble brain can handle it ..... just wondered
> if you'd thought of it and how difficult it may be?

Hmm, well you'd have to add some code on assigning of a member to the group
in question to insert an entry in the forum watch table for that member for
the specified forum. Then you'd have to hack the forum display page to
remove the "stop watching this topic" link if a person was a member of that
forum.

OR, you could add code in the send watch message code to send a message to
all members of that group IF they haven't already sent one because they are
manually watching that forum.

I think the second idea might be easier to implement.

Neither is ideal. That sounds like the job for a much richer, configurable forum watch mod. I think there is a "market" for an advanced one where you can say which forums can/can't be watched. who has to watch a forum and loads of other things, but, I don't have the time to implement and support a major mod.

I just shared this simple version as that's what my company required me to produce. If they get round to wanting a more advanced one (always possible) then I will of course release it.

I was thinking about this as well. I have some forums that I want certain users to watch, but they haven't clicked the link yet.... I don't have a lot of users, so I was thinking that it would be simpler to just be able to add users to forums, and not deal with groups.

Since I'm not versed in php yet, I'm doing it manually, through SQL... :oops: I'd love to learn another programming language, but it's hard enough finding time to do the other parts of my job.
lanesharon

Post by lanesharon »

I have installed this mod on my 2.0.13 board. No problems with the mod or the way it work for the members of my board except me (I tried a test account). LOL Is it normal that the Admin would not be able to watch a forum?
teraknor

Post by teraknor »

NightriderXP wrote: I modified the code so that the new "Forum Watch" link was added to an existing table column. This is how I changed the code and it seems to display consistently on 12 different templates:

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#

templates/subSilver/viewforum_body.tpl
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
	  <td align="right" valign="bottom" class="nav" nowrap="nowrap"><span class="gensmall"><a href="{U_MARK_READ}">{L_MARK_TOPICS_READ}</a></span></td>
# 
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
	  <td align="right" valign="middle" class="nav" nowrap="nowrap"><span class="gensmall"><a href="{U_MARK_READ}">{L_MARK_TOPICS_READ}</a><br />{S_WATCH_FORUM}</span></td>
This is how it displays:

After making a few small modifications to the script to match my heavily modded board, this installed perfectly into 12 templates using EasyMod into phpBB 2.0.14. I've been hoping that someone would come up with this code, so now I'm a happy camper...

I tried this modification to LifeCod style and it messed up pretty badly. Is there a way to modify the code:

id="upper-frame_rt">
<div id="upper-frame_tp_lt"><div id="upper-frame_tp_rt"><div id="upper-frame_btm_lt"><div id="upper-frame_btm_rt">
<div class="float-left">
<span class="smalltxt">
<strong>{L_MODERATOR}: {MODERATORS}</strong><br />
<strong>{LOGGED_IN_USER_LIST}</strong>
</span>
</div>
<div class="right">
<span class="smalltxt">
<br /><strong><a class="nul" href="{U_MARK_READ}">{L_MARK_TOPICS_READ}</a></strong>
</span>
UneekHost

Post by UneekHost »

When I downloaded this file and unzipped it, the instructions were in a winamp file. Whatever. I tried using easymod and it gave me the following error: FIND FAILED: In file [viewforum.php] could not find:

if ( $is_auth['auth_mod'] )
{
$s_auth_can .= sprintf($lang['Rules_moderate'], "<a href=\"modcp.$phpEx?" . POST_FORUM_URL . "=$forum_id&start=" . $start . "&sid=" . $userdata['session_id'] . '">', '</a>');
}

MOD script line #188

O.K. But I don't have the instructions to edit viewforum.php so I can't manually fix it. LOL

Would one of you pretty please send me the install instructions so I can edit it by hand.

Thanks much, I really want this mod as I have 32 plus forums on my board with hundreds of topics. Watching a forum will cut down on my hundreds of emails a day for "topic reply" LOL
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

teraknor wrote: I tried this modification to LifeCod style and it messed up pretty badly. Is there a way to modify the code:

<div id="upper-frame_tp_lt"><div id="upper-frame_tp_rt"><div id="upper-frame_btm_lt"><div id="upper-frame_btm_rt">
	<div class="float-left">
		<span class="smalltxt">
		</span>
	</div>
	<div class="right">
		<span class="smalltxt">
		<br /><strong><a class="nul" href="{U_MARK_READ}">{L_MARK_TOPICS_READ}</a></strong>
		</span>
This should work. Just replace the code above with the code below:

<div class="float-left">
		<span class="smalltxt">
		</span>
	</div>
	<div class="right">
		<span class="smalltxt">
		<br /><strong><a class="nul" href="{U_MARK_READ}">{L_MARK_TOPICS_READ}</a></strong><br />{S_WATCH_FORUM}</span>

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”