[2.0.13] Forum Watch

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
78%
Very Good
7%
Good
7%
Fair
No votes
Poor
7%

Total votes: 41

ebsenjo

problem with link to forum in email

Post by ebsenjo »

Hi,

after I installed this Mod the users who gets replies either from a forum or from a topic watch cannot access the forum diectly through the link in the email. It reports that the forum does not exist. In the header the wrong information is given to the browser. What can I do to get a working link into the email?

Best regards

ebsenjo

CarGuy

post for notice...

Post by CarGuy »

I am going to post here just to watch this topic!!! :idea: ?
Facts change, Truth never changes.

CarGuy

version for install???

Post by CarGuy »

Mr Skinmaster,

Just went out to the test site and it works 8)

Next question - will it work in 2.0.11 :?:

jwunderly

Re: version for install???

Post by jwunderly »

CarGuy wrote: Next question - will it work in 2.0.11 :?:

If you are not behind a firewall with your site, worry about being hacked before installing this MOD.
John (A cranky old man. "Looking for an echo ...")
using any control-panel install/update is like shooting yourself in the foot. It won't kill you, but you're really going to hobble around until it heals.
Using the wrong tools (Front Page, DreamWeaver) gives the same results
Do not PM me for Support!

skinmaster

Post by skinmaster »

It was developed against 2.0.13, and runs fine on 2.0.14, I think it'll work fine on 2.0.11, but I've not tested.

skinmaster

Re: problem with link to forum in email

Post by skinmaster »

ebsenjo wrote: Hi,

after I installed this Mod the users who gets replies either from a forum or from a topic watch cannot access the forum diectly through the link in the email. It reports that the forum does not exist. In the header the wrong information is given to the browser. What can I do to get a working link into the email?

Best regards

ebsenjo

What do you get in the email? And what is the correct link?

skinmaster

Post by skinmaster »

jacksonpt wrote: First...
Is there a way to set which forums users are allowed to watch? I didn't see a setting in the ACP, but I may have just missed it.

No. It works exactly like watch topic. It's 95% the watch topic code, re-tasked to watch forum.
Second...
A request (as if you don't already have enough to do): Could it be setup so that when a user started watching a forum, they had the option to select whether they wanted e-mail notifications only when a new thread was created or if they wanted a notifcation for all new posts in that forum? Bascially, set it up so that when a user clicked the "watch this forum" link, they were prompted whether they wanted to use the first mod (new threads only) or the modded mod (new threads and new replies). Make sense?

It shouldn't be too hard to do, but I don't plan to do it. I had time to write this mod at work in work time, I don't have time to extend it into a general purpose uber-watch mod. Though people are free to expand from what I've done...

ebsenjo

Re: problem with link to forum in email

Post by ebsenjo »

Hi,

what I get is something like:

Code: Select all

http://wwadap02.germany.agilent.com/bb/lsca-tech-forum/viewtopic.php?p=127#127
in the link.

Is there any known compatibility issues with the Moby thread mod, because I see that when receiveng the notification from this forum it sends the same type of link but here it works.

The link that would work in the moby thread looks something like:

Code: Select all

http://wwadap02.germany.agilent.com/bb/lsca-tech-forum/viewtopic.php?topic_view=threads&p=127&t=56
best regards

ebsenjo

skinmaster

Post by skinmaster »

Right it appears that the Moby thread mod means that the standard URLS issued by the topic watch mod are broken.

I don't know how the moby thread mod works. I'd have to have a look to provide a fix. But I don't really have time at the moment.

CarGuy

hacking...

Post by CarGuy »

The version 2.0.11 I am using is part of the package supplied by the hosting company. Sounds like I need to learn more about the newer version - and try to talk to them about the upgrade. Thanks for the warning.
Jim

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

CarGuy, my host supplied version 2.0.10. At that point, it was up to me to maintain the board. I've never asked, but I would be surprised if my host would do it for me. You will probably find the same with your's as well...

If you install and use EasyMOD, these updates are easy to add to your board. You are a few version updates behind, but it wouldn't take very long to install them using EM. You should give it a try. If you need help, don't hesitate to PM me and I would be more than happy to help get you set up...

:lol:

barryc

Installation issues

Post by barryc »

I installed Forum Watch with not problems - phpBB 2.13 still runs - but it's not working. I think I know what's going on, but before I try to fix it myself, I want to double check with the group.

There were two files that needed to be modified that I don't have in my system - at least not with exactly the same names. I presume one of my mods is the cause, but...

These were viewforum_body.tpl and viewforum.php. Both of these were had: _sav_ before the file names. These must have been changed by EasyMod for some Mod.

If no one can tell, I'll try renaming and see if the board crashes, but obviously, that's not my perferred method.

Thanks

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

EasyMod would never change the name of a file on your board. It sounds like someone manually changed something on your board and added the _sav_ in front of your files. What else is installed on your board? What template are you using? I've added over 500 MODs with EM and 12 templates to my board yet all of the original filenames exist that I started with in all 12 templates...

Did EM give you any warnings when it was applying the code? I can't imagine that it would have successfully installed the MOD without the necessary files to modify...

barryc

Nobody did it!

Post by barryc »

NightriderXP wrote: EasyMod would never change the name of a file on your board. It sounds like someone manually changed something on your board and added the _sav_ in front of your files. What else is installed on your board? What template are you using? I've added over 500 MODs with EM and 12 templates to my board yet all of the original filenames exist that I started with in all 12 templates...

Did EM give you any warnings when it was applying the code? I can't imagine that it would have successfully installed the MOD without the necessary files to modify...

I actually took a quick look at the mods I'd installed and didn't see anything that could have done it. I actually have no idea where the change occured.

I'll bite the bullet and restore the names and see what happens.

Could be fun. :twisted:

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Without the viewforum_body.tpl and viewforum.php files, I'm surprised your board works at all. Someone must have manually changed something on your board...

:!:

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”