[2.0.13] Forum Watch

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
78%
Very Good
7%
Good
7%
Fair
No votes
Poor
7%

Total votes: 41

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

UneekHost wrote: When I downloaded this file and unzipped it, the instructions were in a winamp file. Whatever. I tried using easymod and it gave me the following error: FIND FAILED: In file [viewforum.php] could not find:

if ( $is_auth['auth_mod'] )
{
$s_auth_can .= sprintf($lang['Rules_moderate'], "<a href=\"modcp.$phpEx?" . POST_FORUM_URL . "=$forum_id&start=" . $start . "&sid=" . $userdata['session_id'] . '">', '</a>');
}

MOD script line #188

O.K. But I don't have the instructions to edit viewforum.php so I can't manually fix it. LOL

Would one of you pretty please send me the install instructions so I can edit it by hand.

Thanks much, I really want this mod as I have 32 plus forums on my board with hundreds of topics. Watching a forum will cut down on my hundreds of emails a day for "topic reply" LOL

Instead of manually fixing the viewforum.php file, fix the MOD script and rerun this in EasyMOD. If I had a link to your forum, I could tell you what the MOD script should look for in the FIND statement that is failing...

:lol:

UneekHost

Post by UneekHost »

NightriderXP wrote:
UneekHost wrote:When I downloaded this file and unzipped it, the instructions were in a winamp file. Whatever. I tried using easymod and it gave me the following error: FIND FAILED: In file [viewforum.php] could not find:

if ( $is_auth['auth_mod'] )
{
$s_auth_can .= sprintf($lang['Rules_moderate'], "<a href=\"modcp.$phpEx?" . POST_FORUM_URL . "=$forum_id&start=" . $start . "&sid=" . $userdata['session_id'] . '">', '</a>');
}

MOD script line #188

O.K. But I don't have the instructions to edit viewforum.php so I can't manually fix it. LOL

Would one of you pretty please send me the install instructions so I can edit it by hand.

Thanks much, I really want this mod as I have 32 plus forums on my board with hundreds of topics. Watching a forum will cut down on my hundreds of emails a day for "topic reply" LOL

Instead of manually fixing the viewforum.php file, fix the MOD script and rerun this in EasyMOD. If I had a link to your forum, I could tell you what the MOD script should look for in the FIND statement that is failing...

http://uneekhost.com

and thanks for your help. I am new to php and any time I make a fix I am flying by the seat of my pants. Usually if it gets fixed it's because I got lucky. I'd like to learn the correct way to fix mod scripts. :D

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

UneekHost, I wasn't able to download an unaltered copy of your viewforum.php file. Could you make a copy of it in text format so I could download an unaltered copy of it???

UneekHost

Post by UneekHost »

NightriderXP wrote: UneekHost, I wasn't able to download an unaltered copy of your viewforum.php file. Could you make a copy of it in text format so I could download an unaltered copy of it???

I got it working. I think I may have screwed up some other mods in the process but this one was extremely important to me. The other ones were just cosmetic.

I appreciate you taking the time to try to help!! Thanks!!

Kinsman

Email Problem?

Post by Kinsman »

Hi, i have installed this excellent mod on my 2.0.1.5 board here

www.junglewraiths.net

But unfortunately i get this email error while posting.

"Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class emailer in e:\website\site\includes\emailer.php on line 28"

the post still submits ok, but no one receives the watch email.

Anybody got any idea why this might be happening? :?

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Edit your includes/functions_post.php file and replace all the following lines:

Code: Select all

include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/emailer.'.$phpEx);
with

Code: Select all

include_once($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/emailer.'.$phpEx);
There were 4 instances of this line in my functions_post that needed to be changed...

Kinsman

Post by Kinsman »

mmm, thanks for the prompt reply, that did fix it. :D

But i wonder?, my user got the watch topic email, but i only received my admin notification email, not the watch topic?

I have the notify admin of new topic mod applied by the way.

I too had four instances, so should i have got both email?

or does it work on order of preference or something?

now i wonder what the other two email instances might be. :P

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

I have no idea what you should expect to receive. I receive so many different alerts for each post due to several related MODs that I have installed, I don't really know what the expected behavior should be for this one. Hopefully someone else can answer your question...

Woodland Creature

Post by Woodland Creature »

Thanks for sharing this Forum Watch mod It's exactly what I was after.

However, I have an issue that appears exactly the same as Balto's issue posted on 24 May 2004 (a few threads back). Unfortunately the final resolution to that issue doesn't seem to be here.

I have a development forum that I use to test all mods on before I upload the changes to a production forum. Version in use is 2.0.15

On the development forum I have successfully applied the Forum-Watch-1.0.2.mod using easymod and everything works as expected.

When "User A" subscribes to watching forum "A" and then "User B" posts a new topic in forum "A" then "User A" successfully gets a notification of a new topic. All good so far.

I then applied the Forum-Watch-Topic-1.0.2.mod as we wish to have users who are watching forums automatically subscribed to the new topic as well.

I again used easymod to apply and everything appears to have completed successfully.

Under testing there appears to be no change. IE the user watching the forum is not being subscribed to the new topic as well, however they continue to be notified of new topics

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

What is the difference between your Development and Live forums? Are they mirror images of each other? Are they on the same server, host, database, etc??? Are the settings exactly the same on both boards? Are there any other possible differences that you can think of???

:?:

Woodland Creature

NightriderXP wrote: What is the difference between your Development and Live forums? Are they mirror images of each other? Are they on the same server, host, database, etc??? Are the settings exactly the same on both boards? Are there any other possible differences that you can think of???

:?:

Thanks for the reply.

Just to confirm haven't installed to production box yet, just testing first on Development box before redoing in production. So am just trying to get it working on development box only at this stage, production is another kettle of fish so to speak :)

In any case to answer your question Production box is on the web running on a linux type box. Development system is on a windows machine. both running same versions mysql. Dev box is running php 4.3.11 prod is 4.3.8 but for the moment the production box is immaterial.

What I have since done since my original post is to remove the possibility of other mods interfering with the way watch topis works by
  1. Blow away development forum installation (delete everything).
  2. Drop entire development database
  3. Create a new blank database.
  4. Install phpBB 2.0.15 from sctratch
  5. Confirm new installation works as expected.
  6. Create new forum "Test Forum"
  7. Install easymod 0.1.13
  8. Use easymod to install Watch_forum_1.0.2
  9. Use easymod to install Watch_forum_topic_1.0.2 (auto subscribed to new topics)
  10. Check contents of forums_watch table and note no entries in table - expected
  11. Check contents of topics_watch table and note no entries in table - expected
  12. Register a new user test user.
  13. Start Watching "Test Forum"
  14. Check contents of forums_watch table and note values 2 3 0 (indicating forum 2 user 3 and value of true is watching) - Expected
  15. Check contents of topics_watch table and note no entries in table - expected
  16. Log in as admin create a new topic in "Test Forum"
  17. email is successfully sent via forum to new user
  18. Note that new user successfully receives email saying new topic added.
  19. Check contents of topics_watch table and note no entries in table - un expected - would expect that after new topic is posted then a change is made to the topics_watch table.
  20. confirm that user is not subscribed to watching the new topic
So this was done with a brand new fresh install of 2.0.15 with only easymod being the only installed mod

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Woodland Creature wrote:
  1. Install easymod 0.1.13

First note, EM 0.2.0a is out so you probably will want to start using it instead of 0.1.13...
Woodland Creature wrote:
  1. Check contents of topics_watch table and note no entries in table - un expected - would expect that after new topic is posted then a change is made to the topics_watch table.
  2. confirm that user is not subscribed to watching the new topic

Are you absolutely sure there is nothing in the topics watch table? You did refresh to make sure you were looking at the most recent snapshot of the contents of your table? What you would see is static data, not dynamic...

The entries into the topic watch table take place in the viewforum.php file. I can't see any reason that the code could skip the addition to the topic watch table. The developer of this MOD might be able to take another look at this too...

The email for a new post can only be sent if there is an entry in your topic watch table. The query for it is in the functions_post.php file. Before anyone can receive an email from a new topic, the user_notification_forum function looks at the topic watch table to determine whether to send out the email. If someone is receiving an email, that means that there is an entry in the topic watch table...

So, where could it go wrong in one board while not another? From what I have seen in the code so far, it shouldn't be possible. Either I am not understanding the situation or there is some missing information that could clarify this problem...

Woodland Creature

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me with this.
NightriderXP wrote: First note, EM 0.2.0a is out so you probably will want to start using it instead of 0.1.13...

Yep. since 0.1.13 is installed on production just keeping things the same for the moment, but will be doing that soon, thanks.
NightriderXP wrote: Are you absolutely sure there is nothing in the topics watch table? You did refresh to make sure you were looking at the most recent snapshot of the contents of your table? What you would see is static data, not dynamic...

Yep. Absolutely positive without a doubt. To confirm this I logged on to forum as admin and starting watching a topic. data has changed in topics_watch and is now 2 2 0
NightriderXP wrote: The email for a new post can only be sent if there is an entry in your topic watch table. The query for it is in the functions_post.php file. Before anyone can receive an email from a new topic, the user_notification_forum function looks at the topic watch table to determine whether to send out the email. If someone is receiving an email, that means that there is an entry in the topic watch table...

Two different things here. One is sending email on a new topic being created in a forum IE Watching a Forum. the other is sending email on a topic receiving a new reply IE Watching a topic.

the way I read it is that it should check the forum watch table and send an email. and this is occuring. forums watch table gets modified. eamils get sent for new topics. Part of the second mod modifies the installation so that after functions_post.php happens the topics watch table should be modified so that the user gets auto added to the new topic created
NightriderXP wrote: So, where could it go wrong in one board while not another?

To confirm again, we'll leave the production system out of it. Let's pretend that one doesn't exist.

I have just set up a totally fresh vanilla install of phpBB 2.0.15 that only has the easymod 0.1.13 installation on it as a test system. Just trying to get it to work here will be fine first :)

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Woodland Creature wrote: To confirm again, we'll leave the production system out of it. Let's pretend that one doesn't exist.

I have just set up a totally fresh vanilla install of phpBB 2.0.15 that only has the easymod 0.1.13 installation on it as a test system. Just trying to get it to work here will be fine first :)

OIC I'm not a php developer, but I am a Delphi programmer. I can read the code and see obvious errors. I really don't see anything wrong in the script though, so your error may be beyond what I know about php...

I installed this MOD on my board using EM 0.1.13 and it works just fine on it. My board may not have been 2.0.15 when I installed this though but I doubt that it would make that much difference. I can't imagine what would be different between what you and I have, other than I have a lot of MODs installed on my board. Being that you are installing this on a vanilla board, it would seem like it would work just fine, especially since you used EM...

Did you have to modify any of the MOD script to get it to install in 2.0.15 using EM? If you didn't change anything at all and this isn't working, this is probably something the author of this MOD should be investigating...

Woodland Creature

NightriderXP wrote: I installed this MOD on my board using EM 0.1.13 and it works just fine on it. My board may not have been 2.0.15 when I installed this though but I doubt that it would make that much difference.

Did you install both mods? The first one sends email when a new topic is created. The second one installs the changes necessary to automatically subscribe people watching the forum to the newly created topic.
NightriderXP wrote: I can't imagine what would be different between what you and I have, other than I have a lot of MODs installed on my board. Being that you are installing this on a vanilla board, it would seem like it would work just fine, especially since you used EM...

Both of the mods related to Forum Watch install fine and from what I can see nothing else is broken. Performed most actions on the board and everything seems to work fine, just the second part of the mod doesn't seem to do what it is supposed to do.
NightriderXP wrote: Did you have to modify any of the MOD script to get it to install in 2.0.15 using EM? If you didn't change anything at all and this isn't working, this is probably something the author of this MOD should be investigating...

Didn't have to change anything. Just installed it and away it went. Thanks for your assistance anyway, hopefully the author monitors this forum so I might hear back soon enough. I'd really love to get this mod up onto the production system as soon as I can as it will solve a particular problem we are having at the moment.

Thanks again.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”