create a sticky thread that is actually an external link

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
hp3

create a sticky thread that is actually an external link

Post by hp3 »

anyone have suggestions on how I might modify the viewforum.php or viewforum_body.html template to create a sticky thread that is actually a link to another page? Thanks for any suggestions.
COD3M4ST3R-X

Re: create a sticky thread that is actually an external link

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

would you mind explaining a bit more what exactly you want to achieve?
“Need and struggle are what excite and inspire us.”
hp3

Post by hp3 »

I am working on a phpbb board that has forums where members post entries for a contest. We have several different categories for our contest and a forum for each category, to accept submissions. We need a way to help members easily find contest winning submissions while viewing a given contest forums. We list contest winning submissions on a separate "custom" page.

So, we need a way for members to easily navigate from contest forum "a" to our listing of winning submissions for contest forum "a" on our custom page. We only want this feature for the contest entry forums, not our other forums.

I decided to simply modify the viewforum_body.html by adding a table row with a link to our custom page, before the BEGIN topic row loop. I used template if then statements to show this row for the contest forums only. This ends up creating a link at the top of the forum topic listing that looks like a sticky thread but is hard coded into the template and links away from the viewforum.php page to our custom page, only on contest forums.

However, if there is a way to create a phpbb stickly thread that is actually a link to another page I would consider this instead because it might be easier to maintain the board this way, as long as it is not too complicated to implement.

Thanks for any suggestions.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

EDIT:

Or, in overall_header.html :

<!-- IF FORUMD_ID eq N -->link<!-- ENDIF -->
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
some blind fool

Post by some blind fool »

why not create link-type sub-forums, and have them list only in the forum that the contest is for?
please do not PM me to ask for help. thanks.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

That was my first thought before I edited. I think that will work but the OP uses the term thread (which don't exist in phpbb) so not sure what he means.

But if you look at this support forum, if the convertors subforum displayed at the top were of type link, I think it would do what is desired.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
some blind fool

i tend to use 'thread' to mean the first topic post, and all of the replies that follow. i think that's in part because some topics will start with specific questions, then move off to other questions. but, i'm foolish, so it won't surprise me if that's 'wrong'. :)

good to know i wasn't the only one thinking link-type sub-forums might work, as your example is roughly what i was thinking. the only thing different the OP may want that i can think of is that they don't post seperate from the forum's topics.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Yes they do. Look at the viewforum page for this support forum.

some blind fool

i know they do. just saying the OP may not want them to. :)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”