To what extent would you protect your site?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
*Christian*
I've Been Banned!

Re: To what extent would you protect your site?

Post by *Christian* »

thecoalman wrote:One way I seen mentioned you can "disable" right click is nest an image in a div nested in another div. Use CSS and z-index to make the outside div higher than the inner div. Apply a 1 px transparent gif as a background image on the outer div, when they right click there isn't any image to save because its empty div. The background image is just the transparent .gif ....

There is way to disable prt scr using JS but AFAIK it only works in IE and I'm not sure if it works in IE7.

Regardless every type of "protection" I've seen yet is easily disabled by my image editor, it has option for loading a web page as an image. It uses your default browser for the client so the server only sees the browser requesting the image.
I think they use this on http://flickr.com . I noticed when i tried resizing an image from there using Imageshack, but i ended up with a 1px block named space.gif :lol:
Proud owner of Bertie 3.0
:: No support via PM or IM ::
MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX »

thecoalman wrote:One way I seen mentioned you can "disable" right click is nest an image in a div nested in another div. Use CSS and z-index to make the outside div higher than the inner div. Apply a 1 px transparent gif as a background image on the outer div, when they right click there isn't any image to save because its empty div. The background image is just the transparent .gif ....
This takes care of that. :roll:
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

You serve your IP to somebody, no matter what you do there will always be a way they can rip you off. The quality of the rip off of course will vary.
MartectX wrote:This takes care of that. :roll:
:lol: I read the domain as down-the-mall.net and failed to see any relevance to the topic until I clicked.
Chris SmithGitHub
Liquinn

Post by Liquinn »

Disabling right click does nothing, since you can save the website by going to File > Save, then you have the images there, if you need the text, you view the source... ;D xD
Going to spain again on the 17th to the 24th of August 2008 after I leave school, so probably won't be around as much during that one week period.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

I'm aware of everything you can do to get an image, my example was just an alternative to using JS to slow down someone or stop someone that really isn't very technically savvy. FYI in my example it doesn't disable anything hence the quotes arounf disable. Instead it's just hiding the image behind a transparent gif, you don't need that plug-in nor do you need to save the web page if the underlying images is in an anchor tag. In firefox you just go to view> page style> no style which removes the CSS formatting and leaves bare html.

Fact is if you absolutely have to protect your content don't publish it. ;)
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Elitzur
I've Been Banned!

Post by Elitzur »

karlsemple wrote:Actually doing what you have done is pointless, I could still copy the source of your site simply by disabling javascript in my browser and then viewing the page ;)
Owned xD :lol:

Sorry for the year bump, but just thought this was funny :lol:
Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter »

Nothing, since every measures would be pointless.

And of course, once your work has been published on the internet, everyone will have it for good, so trying to prevent others from making more copies is nothing but a waste of time.

Copyright laws are only made to benefit large companies and organizations like RIAA, not people who are obviously interested in seeing their work appreciated by as many people as possible. Otherwise they would have kept their work stored in a safe, not available to public eyes. :idea:
Elitzur
I've Been Banned!

Post by Elitzur »

Linda Carter wrote:Copyright laws are only made to benefit large companies and organizations like RIAA, not people who are obviously interested in seeing their work appreciated by as many people as possible. Otherwise they would have kept their work stored in a safe, not available to public eyes. :idea:
Exactly, if you want people to have content, then there are ways which you can make them
pay for example via PayPal. At the current time, everything on my website, I have no problem with
others taking in it, as long as they know I authored it which is stated clearly when downloading/ed.
JakeS

Post by JakeS »

*Christian* wrote:Hello everyone,

Yesterday when coding up my newest site it occurred to me, "To what extent do people protect their site". By protect, i don't mean the obvious security risks, i mean using Codes to stop people doing certain things.

Yesterday i incorporated 2 JS codes, 1) Prevent Right-Click 2) Disable the selection of text and images. You're probably thinking why, well i spent a lot of time on Dreamweaver and Photoshop getting everything set up, and of course a few hours adding content - it seemed a shame that people could come up to my site and with a few clicks "steal" my hard work. Now, i don't have to worry about that, the only method of taking content would be to print screen and re-type everything out, and even now i'm figuring out to how disable the "PrntScrn" button.

So...to what extent would/do you protect your website?
Those 2 things are absouletely useless in this day and age, even a 6 year old could by-pass those (You seen the I'm a PC ads right?)

Either: 1) Disable Javascript
2) Use the "menu" key on keyboard....

Your best bet of protection, is not that. How I protect my websites is simple. If someone copies it.. oh well, I'll just put out the word that they simply copied, and thus word spreads, and in the end people know it's just a copy.

And then, add more, and better content to my own. Thus outbeating them.

As for what I would do if someone took my site down.. I'd get revenge ;)
Elitzur
I've Been Banned!

Post by Elitzur »

JakeS wrote:...As for what I would do if someone took my site down.. I'd get revenge ;)

So would I! :twisted: But obviously the word to spread work take some time though ;)

Go on there site and spread it, that would work? ;) :twisted: :lol:
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

That Javascript nonsense is not just useless, it's actually harmful, in the sense that users actually get annoyed when websites try to control their behaviour, and may avoid that website in future.
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Of course, all of this assumes that the person is using a Windows PC, or some other windowing system. Javascript? Flash? My wget command laughs in your face. Wget will mirror every file on your site as fast as your server can upload data.

As for my site, there's no protection on anything. I've just got some (c) notices here and there, so oh well... :|
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Dog Cow wrote:My wget command laughs in your face.
Not when it shortly finds itself on the other side of a firewall. :lol: .
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

thecoalman wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:My wget command laughs in your face.
Not when it shortly finds itself on the other side of a firewall. :lol: .
Yeah, your side! The side with the files!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Dog Cow wrote: Yeah, your side! The side with the files!
There's plenty of ways to stop scrapers, the simplest method is with a bot trap. Set up a hidden link on the page, in robots.txt we deny the url so we don't catch good bots like Google. Since the scraper is mindless and rarely looks at robots.txt or listens to it it will try to access the url. The Script is not a page but one that instantly adds the IP into the firewall list.

Return to “General Discussion”