QUICK AND EASY SOLUTION TO THOSE WHO DON'T HAVE CRON ENABLED!!
I'm sure there are many out there like me who really wsh to have a email digest working but the only barrier to overcome is the CRON nonsense. To save yourself all the trouble of setting up cron, simply follow what I've done.
1) We all know by now that the trigger for sending out the digests is mail_digests.php, so as long as we can access this script at fixed interval, the digest will work.
2) One of the ways to do the above would be to set up cron or pseudocron or anything along that line. Heck, you could even reload that script manually every hour if you wanted to. But why not get others to do it for you?
3) Sign up for any web-based uptime/site monitoring service and make them poll http://yourdomain.com/phpbb/mail_digests.php
EVERY HOUR (the fixed setting for this mod) to check for uptime. Upon trigger, your webhost will send out the digests. VOILA!
4) Okok, I know there are security concerns over this but well, it works so those who aren't that particular, go ahead and do so.
5) For a list of free/paid uptime monitors, try http://www.vivante.com/search.php?input ... oterm=&p=2
6) This method has been tested and proven to work by myself, and in fact, it doubles up as a site monitor for you. Cool Stuff!
7) Hope you guys enjoy the email digest mod! Cheers!