Modification Description: A wiki, similar to Wikipedia, integrated into your forum.
Modification Version: Alpha
- Create and edit articles
- Format articles with bbCode and/or Wikitext (IE: Wikipedia formatting)
- High performance focus, option to cache articles entirely as HTML
- Article permissions controlled by phpBB
- Styles created using phpBB template engine
- File uploading
- Two available styles
- One based on Prosilver integrating into forum
- One for stand alone wiki pages, similar to Wikipedia design
- Many Wiki settings available in ACP
- All the important features you expect from a standard wiki: revision control, categories, recent changes, etc.
Demo URL: http://www.hot-guild.com/Forum/wiki.php
Modification Download Not yet available
I am working on creating replacement wiki software for our popular wiki website. We currently use Mediawiki and it is causing lots of problems. The biggest one being how slow it is. Another being how difficult it is to make small additions or style changes.
There is no timeline when a beta will be available. It could be a while.
I did a bit of performance analysis. I loaded up the same text in a local Mediawiki install and phpBB3 install. It took ~0.1 second for phpBB3 to load the page compared to ~0.5 second for Mediawiki. That is quite a difference.
I also have an idea to speed things up even more. With a forum there is a lot of features and options which have to be considered when displaying a page. This is not true for a wiki, where most of the content is static. So why not catch every page, or at least popular pages, as HTML and display them directly? In my current configuration I have it so no database calls are made in displaying a cached page.
Stuff I would like to add, but unlikely to be in the initial release.
- Support for a multi-language wiki
- Logical functions in parser (basically this Mediawiki extension)
- Reference citations
- Custom namespaces
- Search suggest for articles
- Hooks for modifications
To create a full fledged wiki suite comparable to Mediawiki, it will take a lot of work. There are dozens of special pages that need to be made. Doing it myself will take a long time. If you would like to help out with creating this wiki MOD send me a private message. Preferably looking for someone who has already created some phpBB MODs.
Looking for Stylist
I don't like to make styles. I much rather be working with for loops and functions. If you would like to take on the task of creating the templates and CSS for this wiki MOD please send me a private message.