Notification Problems

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
VPWanda

Notification Problems

Post by VPWanda »

I'm having a lot of problems getting notifications of new topics/post replies on my forum.
I just can't figure out what might be wrong and would really appreciate someone giving me an idea of what to check!

I checked the tables forums_watch and topics_watch. The notify_status is 1. So that doesn't seem to be the problem. There are also entries for all the forums and my user_id, so that looks okay too.

The notifications all worked before I upgraded to 3.02. I just installed 3.05 and that didn't fix the problem either.

I would really appreciate any help!
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: Notification Problems

Post by Paul »

Moved to support forum
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development
VPWanda

Post by VPWanda »

Thanks Paul.
I didn't get notified of your reply on this board either, even though I subscribed to the thread.
Is this notification problem common for phpbb boards?
I do get notications from this Dutch phpbb board, so it does seem to work for some.
Does anyone know anything about this?
I would really like some help, because it's really annoying when people on my board don't get notified when there's a responds to their message.
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Have you tried checking your mailbox's spam folder? Sometimes notifications can get improperly flagged.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

VPWanda wrote:I just can't figure out what might be wrong and would really appreciate someone giving me an idea of what to check!
From the phpBB side the first thing you need to check is the ACP -> Maintenance -> Error log for any email errors. The other thing is whether you are using the queue or not, in the ACP -> E-mail settings page what is your value for 'package size' set to? Are all other board emails going out and it's just notifications you are having problems with? :)
Paul
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

VPWanda wrote:Thanks Paul.
I didn't get notified of your reply on this board either, even though I subscribed to the thread.
Is this notification problem common for phpbb boards?
I do get notications from this Dutch phpbb board, so it does seem to work for some.
Does anyone know anything about this?
I would really like some help, because it's really annoying when people on my board don't get notified when there's a responds to their message.
Just to add, notifications on this board are working correctly, I received last night several notificatons of topics here. So there might be a issue on your side instead.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development
VPWanda

Post by VPWanda »

narqelion wrote:the first thing you need to check is the ACP -> Maintenance -> Error log for any email errors.
Wow. Thanks! That log is filled with email errors.
I don't have the solution yet, but at least I know which direction to go now.

The error is:
"[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_messenger.php on line 691: mail(): Bad parameters to mail() function, mail not sent."

I'm going to check out that file and see if I can figure it out.

Really appreciate your help!
AdamR
Former Team Member

Post by AdamR »

Could you please fill out the Support Request Template so we can get a better idea of the issue?

Also, in the Admin Panel > General Tab > Email settings, what are the options set to?

- Adam
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
AdamR
Former Team Member

Post by AdamR »

Actually, it appears this may be a bug: http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/46725

A temporary fix is listed in the bug tracker comments. Please note that this has been fixed in 3.0.6 (not yet released), which is currently in Release Candidate stages of testing.

- Adam
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

VPWanda wrote:
narqelion wrote:the first thing you need to check is the ACP -> Maintenance -> Error log for any email errors.
Wow. Thanks! That log is filled with email errors.
I don't have the solution yet, but at least I know which direction to go now.

The error is:
"[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_messenger.php on line 691: mail(): Bad parameters to mail() function, mail not sent."

I'm going to check out that file and see if I can figure it out.

Really appreciate your help!
Yep. I verified the fix for the bug Adam linked to on my linux test server, but not on Windows yet. Do you know if you are hosted on a Windows or *nix server? If you don't know post the url to your board I can tell. :)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”