What is Bots permission ?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
azhar_21

What is Bots permission ?

Post by azhar_21 »

Hi,
I want to know what is the bots role in forum permission.

a. Read only access.
b. Limited access.
c. Standard access.
d. Full access.
e. On moderation queue.
f. Bot access ????

Thanks
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: What is Bots permission ?

Post by JimA »

That's a role that has been assigned to Search Engines.

In phpBB3, search engines (like Google) have their own accounts, and that role has the best permissions from what a search engine should be able to index from your board, and what it shouldn't. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
azhar_21

Post by azhar_21 »

JimA wrote:That's a role that has been assigned to Search Engines.

In phpBB3, search engines (like Google) have their own accounts, and that role has the best permissions from what a search engine should be able to index from your board, and what it shouldn't. :)
Cool :P
ScrapbookSupplies

Post by ScrapbookSupplies »

So, does that mean that they can go further into the site with bot access versus read only or is it just to track them? (yes Jim, I'm the one that can never spit the words out right).... I'm trying to figure out exactly what the difference is. I'm guessing that the bot access makes them show up by name tracking the IP and the read only shows the number of guests, otherwise they're probably pretty close to the same? :?:
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

"Bot Access" is a Forum Permissions Role. It has nothing to do with how the bot-user shows to others.

Looking at the Bot Access role, it is identical to Read Only Access, other than it does not allow Subscribing or Searching.
ScrapbookSupplies

Post by ScrapbookSupplies »

Ok, I think I've got it.

Thank you. ;)
starchang98

Post by starchang98 »

okay so which one do we assign it to? sorry i didnt get it :oops:

oh and anyone know what to set for moderators? i have standard + polls..i have no clue thanks
COD3M4ST3R-X

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

starchang98 wrote:okay so which one do we assign it to? sorry i didnt get it :oops:

oh and anyone know what to set for moderators? i have standard + polls..i have no clue thanks
Read this to get your self familiar with phpBB3, Permissions:Knowledge Base - phpBB3 Permissions :)
“Need and struggle are what excite and inspire us.”
dmitry_n

Post by dmitry_n »

Brf wrote:Looking at the Bot Access role, it is identical to Read Only Access, other than it does not allow Subscribing or Searching.
Why is Searching not allowed? Yes, the Search form itself is pretty useless for bots however an user's search query captured by e.g. Google Toolbar sometimes represents a valuable excerpt of forum and may bring new visitors from Search Engines.
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

dmitry_n wrote:
Brf wrote:Looking at the Bot Access role, it is identical to Read Only Access, other than it does not allow Subscribing or Searching.
Why is Searching not allowed? Yes, the Search form itself is pretty useless for bots however an user's search query captured by e.g. Google Toolbar sometimes represents a valuable excerpt of forum and may bring new visitors from Search Engines.
You seem a bit confused about how Bots see your board. A bot can not see the results of a user's search, only the results of a search they triggered themselves, which is pointless because they will not enter any search terms when they blindly click on the "search" link.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
dmitry_n

Post by dmitry_n »

ric323 wrote:You seem a bit confused about how Bots see your board. A bot can not see the results of a user's search, only the results of a search they triggered themselves, which is pointless because they will not enter any search terms when they blindly click on the "search" link.
Indeed bots CAN see results when search words and other params are provided via URL. These URLs seems to be captured very well by search engines toolbars installed in user's browsers.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

The issue has nothing at all to do with Search engine Toolbars.
The question is about how Search Engines browse your forum, which has nothing at all to do with toolbars.
dmitry_n

Post by dmitry_n »

Brf wrote:The question is about how Search Engines browse your forum, which has nothing at all to do with toolbars.
Toolbars supply to Search Engines URLs visited by users. Examples:

[removed spam links]
Last edited by Brf on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed spam links
dmitry_n

Post by dmitry_n »

[removed spam links]
Shit! Those were not spam links! Those were proof of Google does crawl search URLs!!!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”