Total newbie at forums

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
stevenfudd

Total newbie at forums

Post by stevenfudd »

We're thinking of using phpBB. Could anyone tell me the advantages of phpbb vs. say SMF? thx!!!
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Total newbie at forums

Post by KevC »

That's not something we can do from an unbiased position and we wouldn't want to start an 'us vs. them' type of topic.

This lists the features of phpBb3
http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/

The thing to do is to install each one and see if it does what you want it to do.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
stevenfudd

Post by stevenfudd »

sure go ahead and be unbiased! looks like u r the market leader. i setup accounts both here and at smf and this one was much easier and the site looks cleaner. don't know if that is a good comparison though, looks can be deceiving. I guess we'll setup both like you say. I'm assuming there are no other players in the running from my research.... it looks like you are the top dogs
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

There's probably more phpBB boards out there than of any other forum system.
vellatechie

Post by vellatechie »

stevenfudd wrote:sure go ahead and be unbiased! looks like u r the market leader. i setup accounts both here and at smf and this one was much easier and the site looks cleaner. don't know if that is a good comparison though, looks can be deceiving. I guess we'll setup both like you say. I'm assuming there are no other players in the running from my research.... it looks like you are the top dogs
This is a big big advantage of phpbb over most of other forums.. phpbb is much much cleaner.. i used smf for my forum for a year, it was fine and i was happy with it untill i stumbled over phpbb and ive never regretted my decision to convert my forum..
SMF looks crap, IPB is too bloated, VB is too expensive, bbpress is crap and none other free forums provide half as good support as phpBB.. If you want to bridge your forum search for 'jfusion' in google (i am not sure if i am allowed to post links here :roll: ).. it works sweet :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”