Change SummerTime for all users

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
cd090580

Change SummerTime for all users

Post by cd090580 »

Hi,

I changed in the setup of my forum the summer time application. All is OK but if the user keep it active in it's settings, the time is still in use with summer time.

Is it possible to disable the summer time for all my users (all are in the same timezone: France and Belgium). I don't find anything in the ACP so I can try by changing it in the PhpMyAdmin interface.

In which table/field are stored the SummerTime settings for each user ?

Thanks.
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Change SummerTime for all users

Post by JimA »

Turning DST off for all users can be done using this SQL command in phpMyAdmin. :)

Code: Select all

UPDATE `phpbb_users` SET `user_dst` = '0';
UPDATE `phpbb_config` SET `config_value` = '0' WHERE `config_name` = 'board_dst';
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Are you going to reset their microwaves and wrist watches for them too? :D
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
MalkContent

Post by MalkContent »

I'd like to bump this.
I've got a question towards the timestamp system for the posts, etc.
They all recieve a UTC timestamp with no dst and for the display in the forum, all times are modified with the UTC+/- and the dst +1 hour thing if dst is given, depending on the users setting.

While I can understand the decision to let the users choose their time display, it is extremely confusing during the dst switching days, because ALL times are affected, and 10:00 pm from no-dst yesterday becomes a solid 11:00 pm the next day.
Perhaps you should think of timestamping the users dst changes and display the times according to when he toggled the times.
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

To be honest I consider that to be a relatively minor issue, particularly compared to the relative overhead of any reasonable solution for it. Outside of a few days after a DST switch I doubt anyone would notice it anyway.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
MalkContent

Post by MalkContent »

all I can say is that I get quite a bit of users whining every time the time changes ^^
some because it doesn't change automatically, others because they find the lack of this knit in the time quite a bother

but I admit that there seems to be nothing like an easy solution to this problem
but what'd be nice would be a checkbox next to the boards "enable dst" switch which would change the dst of every user and not just the board
the international boards just wouldn't click it and the ones which work in a common dst zone wouldn't need querry it themselves

perhaps that sounds like a good idea? :(
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

keep in mind that there are many, many places around the world that don't use DST at all.
plus, the ones that do, don't all change at the same time etc.

there is just no good reason to try to make this automatic. like steve said a year ago in this topic.

"are you going to change their microwaves and watches for them as well?"

most people are smart enough to figure this out for themselves.

if they complain, just post an announcement etc.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
dejanslo

Post by dejanslo »

I think it would come very handy to include an option in the admin panel to switch to/from summer time for all users since phpbb is very useful for smaller groups of few hundreds users which may, as in example above and my own, originate from the same time zone.

If I replace the 0 with 1 in the code provided above, it will switch all users to summer time? I have not had the time to check upon this. I do believe that to some admins this is a minor issue, because they just take the time to go over the base and quickly see what needs to be changed by a proper query. But I don't think most admins are like that. For the rest of us an option in admin panel would be great and it certainly is not a trouble to implement for the coders.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Yes, a 1 will switch to DST.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”