Update from 3.0.5 to 3.0.6 -- 500 Server Error

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
uw168

Update from 3.0.5 to 3.0.6 -- 500 Server Error

Post by uw168 »

My server is using PHP Version 5.2.11.
The forum's URL is http://www.uswebcity.com/forum .

I update my forum from by clicking on the installation directery. The database and the version and optimising tables are done.

But the next step...

Collecting file differences
Currently differences of 72 of 281 files have been checked.
Please wait until all files are checked.

Then the next page is a screen titled "500 Internal Server Error" with the body text of:

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.

I have tried it 2 to 3 times. It got the same error. Can someone tell me how to fix it? Thanks.
Last edited by uw168 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Make A New Website? --- USWebCity.com
>> Web Hosting Ratings and Reviews <<
:)
adiant

Re: Update from 3.0.5 to 3.0.6 -- 500 Server Error

Post by adiant »

This is identical to the scenario I experienced with a previous phpBB upgrade, on my previous web host (hostingzoom.com). They had "Resource Management" software that was killing the phpBB upgrade process every time it ran.

I contacted their Support folks and they put an exemption in place so that their Resource Management software would not "look" at anything that I ran for the next several days, which gave me enough time to complete the upgrade.

So, I would suggest you contact your web host's Support staff. And get them to check their logs to see why a 500 was generated for your upgrade. Be sure to give them exact time and date of the most recent 500, and tell them what time zone you are in.
nguyencongminh

Post by nguyencongminh »

You can restore (PHP source code and database) from server to local host, run the update at local. After finishing, you can restore from local host to server.

I did this way, because my internet connection isn't good enough to run update at server.

Good luck to you.
Creating Communities
uw168

Post by uw168 »

I have changed the directory cache/ and store/ "chmod" to 777. Also, the "php.ini" file in the install directory was changed to
memory_limit = 200M
max_execution_time = 250000
But it still has the same 500 server error.
Make A New Website? --- USWebCity.com
>> Web Hosting Ratings and Reviews <<
:)
adiant

Post by adiant »

uw168 wrote:max_execution_time = 250000
If your host has "Resource Management software", I can promise you that it is not going around looking at your php.ini settings. It is just cancelling long-running php processes. But, I should also note that on my former web host, the 500's were more common whenever the server was busy (doing other people's work), because the "Resource Management software" got more aggressive. All that said, the Upgrade process would fail even when the server was doing nothing.
bbthailand
Translator

Post by bbthailand »

This problem Because of
Acpache Timeout
OR
php max_execution_time

You must set follow
http://www.phpbbthailand.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6951

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”