Best Router

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
patchouly

Best Router

Post by patchouly »

I hope this is the best place to ask this...

I have set up a server at home for my forum. The router I am running (a Linksys WRT54GL, flashed with DD-WRT) seems to be keeping up with the current demand, but as we grow, I know I'm going to have to upgrade. I don't want to go full out with a Cisco yet, so, do any of you guys have a recommendation about which router out there can handle the traffic from a forum?

Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Re: Best Router

Post by Sam »

First of all, I recommend you upgrade to a business internet from your ISP, otherwise, they will yell at you for violating their Terms of Service. (most prohibit web servers being ran from home connections)

If your forum is not going to be very big your forum will be fine on a home router for now. You could find a standard business class router for ~$100 and it should work just fine. If you want some cisco ones, I've found them at Government Surplus outlets, where all the old tech junk goes when they upgrade equipment, for a very decent price. If you are aren't going to be hooking into anything but standard Ethernet, then a $100 business class router is all you will need.

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Unless your internet connection is > 100Mb/s and you get near that in traffic that router will do just fine.

There are two things you need to consider when hosting a website on your home network.
1. It is likely against the ToS with your ISP
2. Security is a huge problem. If they breach your web server they may be able to get into your home network and systems.

coaster01

Post by coaster01 »

SyntaxError90 wrote:First of all, I recommend you upgrade to a business internet from your ISP, otherwise, they will yell at you for violating their Terms of Service. (most prohibit web servers being ran from home connections)
Ya, I'm curious about how you're handling that as well.

Also, what are you running for server?

mastix

Post by mastix »

I recommend you to check Netgear networking solutions for home and business. I think that they have best solutions.

DjKiDD

Post by DjKiDD »

WRT54G with DD-WRT is THE best home router....... you shouldn't have to upgrade

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

DjKiDD wrote:WRT54G with DD-WRT is THE best home router....... you shouldn't have to upgrade
How about wireless N, gigabit ethernet?
Chris SmithGitHub

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

A gigabit LAN doesn't beef up the WAN-side, does it?

If it comes down to needing a relatively inexpensive alternative, I think a Linux server set up on a spare PC can fit nicely in between Linksys and Cisco.
We should talk less, and say more.

muggins
Name: Donovan

Post by muggins »

mastix wrote:I recommend you to check Netgear networking solutions for home and business. I think that they have best solutions.
I must agree. I have used a Linksys BEFSR41 for years. My last early rev died a few weeks ago and I replaced it with a newer revision of the same model. It works just fine for inbound traffic, but connecting to my self-hosted websites with the external IP is hit-or-miss, and I have to power-cycle the damned thing at least once a day to wake it up. :?

I've been doing some research into low-cost solutions and the overwhelming consensus is Netgear. My Christmas present to myself and my users will be a new one, and the Linksys will be shelved for an emergency... :twisted:

ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy »

SamG wrote:A gigabit LAN doesn't beef up the WAN-side, does it?
Of course not unless your WAN connection is > 100Mbps. But moving media around these days 1000BaseT sure is nice.
Chris SmithGitHub

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Well sure, but the OP is looking at the WAN side. :P
We should talk less, and say more.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

patchouly wrote:I have set up a server at home for my forum. The router I am running (a Linksys WRT54GL, flashed with DD-WRT) seems to be keeping up with the current demand, but as we grow, I know I'm going to have to upgrade. I don't want to go full out with a Cisco yet, so, do any of you guys have a recommendation about which router out there can handle the traffic from a forum?
My own forum has nearly 3 million posts on it, and it's running off a Linksys router/firewall. You really don't need a fancy Cisco router for that sort of thing. Remember that forums actually don't generate that much network traffic. The data being exchanged is mostly text, not images or videos which suck up huge amounts of bandwidth.

The real problem, as EXreaction pointed out, is from security and possibly your ISP.

1) Your ISP might not allow you to self-host (mine does, but not everyone's ISP does), which means that they might force you to stop doing this or face a loss of service.

2) From a security standpoint, a hardware router/firewall might get the job done but such units have been compromised before (first security tip: don't tell everyone in the world exactly which model you're using). To be safe, you should assume that someone is capable of hijacking your firewall and gaining access to your LAN. This means that you'll want ports closed off on your server, unnecessary services stopped, a firewall in place, decent password security, etc. If you set up your server as if some malicious person may already have access to your LAN, then the security risk associated with self-hosting through that router is decreased. If, on the other hand, you run an insecure server with all sorts of open ports and public shares and you trust that the router will keep the bad guys away, you might be asking for trouble.

I self-host, but the server is fairly tight. I'm running Linux on it, the firewall only allows a few select services through, there are passwords on every account, the SSH service is restricted to a single IP address (and requires keypair authentication rather than plaintext passwords), etc.

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

It's not just about securing the server against the outside to protect the internal network. You need to protect the internal network from the server as well in case it is compromised (small application vulnerabilities can chain up to a much larger one). If your server is compromised and it is trusted by other internal systems those will be easily compromised as well. The use of a double firewall is preferred.

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

The best router depends on what you need it for. The wireless router I use is almost perfect. It would be perfect if it was a ADSL router rather than an ethernet one. I have to use two routers.

The aesthetics and reliability are two areas where many routers could fail you.

The speed doesn't matter for the internet access if the internet connection itself is slow. It wont make a difference unless many people are using a router or the router is very slow. Since most routers are easily above any broadband speeds, it does't matter.

You could use a router for local file transfers where speed is more important. The router's security and software features will be two other factors.

You might be able to tell I didn't read the first post, when posting this. I only looked at the title.

ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy »

SamG wrote:Well sure, but the OP is looking at the WAN side. :P
Hence why I quoted a reply. ;)
Chris SmithGitHub

Return to “General Discussion”