phpBB [email notification problems]

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
miakayuuki

phpBB [email notification problems]

Post by miakayuuki » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:25 pm

I have a phpBB Server, currently 3.0.6, but this issue has existed previously, that is sending out email notifications to users about updates to threads that have been deleted. The user can click on the link in the email and it will just take them to a page saying the thread does not exist.

Sometimes it sends out 20+ such emails to the same users a day, this is not affecting all threads or users, just a few, and only on specific threads. I have tried looking in the SQL database for references to this thread to see where it is maintaining the thread watch list or some other place where it is linking this deleted thread to the affected users, but have had no success.

Can anyone recommend where I can look to try to eliminate this issues for my users?

Mia
Last edited by ric323 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Re: phpBB [email notification problems]

Post by narqelion » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:40 pm

Look in your /cache folder for a file called queue.php, also are you on a *nix or Windows host?

miakayuuki

Post by miakayuuki » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 pm

Linux, and I did try deleting the cache from the phpBB interface before and that did not work, what should i be looking for in that folder?

Mia

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:11 am

narqelion wrote:Look in your /cache folder for a file called queue.php
If the ACP purge cache option is not working then it is quite probably a directory permissions issue, you can manually clear the folder via ftp by deleting everything in /cache except index.htm & .htaccess. Make sure the directory permissions are 0777.

miakayuuki

Post by miakayuuki » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:12 pm

Ok,

I think that solved the issue, as followup note for future reference, the original cache directory was 0600 permissions as were all files inside the directory (except queue.php.lock which was 0777), and there were quite a few of them. I basically took the boards down, renamed the cache folder, made a new one, set the new directory to 0777 and copied the .htaccess and index.htm into the new cache from the old cache. After re-enabling the forums this folder has started to fill up again, and as a side note, all the files in this directory that have been newly created have permissions set at 0600. The directory however has maintained it's 0777 status.

Mia

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:24 pm

narqelion wrote:
narqelion wrote:Look in your /cache folder for a file called queue.php
If the ACP purge cache option is not working then it is quite probably a directory permissions issue, you can manually clear the folder via ftp by deleting everything in /cache except index.htm & .htaccess.
The queue.php isn't actually a cache file as such it's not deleted by the cache clear option.
Chris SmithGitHub

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:28 pm

ToonArmy wrote:The queue.php isn't actually a cache file as such it's not deleted by the cache clear option.
I don't recall saying it was. ;) What I said was
narqelion wrote:If the ACP purge cache option is not working then it is quite probably a directory permissions issue,
in response to the following:
miakayuuki wrote:Linux, and I did try deleting the cache from the phpBB interface before and that did not work, what should i be looking for in that folder?
I always tell people to go in via ftp and delete queue.php manually then set the correct folder permissions so the cache files can be purged by PHP via the ACP. :)
@Mia, glad it worked.

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:14 am

I know you never said it was supposed to be, but the OP implied that the file wasn't deleted by the cache purge.
Chris SmithGitHub

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Ah, I see, I did not read her post that way. I interpreted it to mean the ACP purge was not able to clear the cache folder at all, which is almost always because of incorrect permissions. :)

cstenz

Post by cstenz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:07 pm

I am also using 3.0.6 and having the same problem but under a Windows installation of phpbb.

Am I safe to remove all items from the cache folder under windows as well (expect the htaccess and index.htm files)? What are the correct permissions for that folder under Windows?

I am in delvelopment on this install and am concerned that something might be misconfigured and causing this issue. Seconldy I am trying to stop messages that are being generated every 10 minutes for posts that no longer even exist.

Thanks for the help.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:18 pm

cstenz wrote:Am I safe to remove all items from the cache folder under windows as well
Yes
cstenz wrote:What are the correct permissions for that folder under Windows?
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p11369395

cstenz

Post by cstenz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:15 pm

I was missing a few permissions that were specified in the post you recommended - thanks!

Hopefully this will solve the problem.

blombardo

Post by blombardo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:12 am

I was having the same problem.

Multiple users being sent numerous notifications per hour - new topic replies and PM's (and returned mail notifications for me on bad e-mails)

1: The pm has already been read - and deleted.
2: the affected users have disabled receiving notices in their UCP
3: I have removed my forums ability to e-mail (disabled)
4: I have removed all information about my e-mail system from the forum acp
5: I have cleared cache

-None of those fixed it!
6: I have verified that the cache folder IS writable
7: I have deleted the cache folder and created a new one.

-Now it is fixed. Just FYI to the next person.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”